DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller and Litchi

MacCool

Reactions
I've used Litchi a lot with my Phantom 4 and iPhone/iPad Mini. It's a great tool and has been exceptionally useful and reliable for all that time. I now have a Mavic 2 and Smart Controller. Not only does the SC use Android, it's a very cumbersome implementation of Android. And even after I spend the $25 (again) to get Litchi and figure out how to actually put it on the Smart Controller....using that implementation of Litchi appears to be kind of a crap shoot at this point in time, which Litchi acknowledges while pointing a finger at DJI for their inattention to the SDK (business as usual at DJI).

Anybody out there using Litchi on their Mavic 2 with Smart Controller having consistently good and reliable performance with Litchi? At this point, I've actually been pricing standard Mavic 2 controllers on ebay and contemplating selling my Smart Controller there. I am feeling like the Smart Controller provides relatively few advantages and a number of disadvantages to flying the Mavic 2.

So, Im sorry that I dont have more in-depth, long term, results on reliability of Litchi on the SRC, but I can say that Ive had 1 (out of 1, so far) successful, glitch free flight (and Ill add, not costing me an extra $25 thru Amazon).

This is because I was able to install and log in successfully to my google playstore via the below method linked...

Since I believe the Google playstore apk for Litchi is likely more thoroughly tested than the Amazon apk, I venture that the Google apk is more reliable?

(My opinion is the Amzn Litchi apk was likely thrown quickly together by Litchi after realizing the SRC didnt have google accessibility, and a quick way to chg for the prgm again, and blame it on DJI. Although I could be quite wrong?)

Anyway, heres a link to the method, if your interested.

[/URL]

If link not working, just search " Googleplay on smart controller" its on certifiedaerials wbpg
Big thanks to Certified Aerials
Theres a youtube video that makes it quite straight forward and easy.

Lastly, I do agree that DJI did use a horrible version of android (probably to maximize their profit instead of maximizing the devices performance), so I get it, if your not interested in what Ive said, but I thought Id offer it still.

I wasnt getting any lag, or ftaul in performance, running Litchi until I started screen recording, which happened all the time when using GO4, as well. After starting screen rec. it still ran fine, but the live feed would skip frames, about once every second or so.

Let us know if you find it successful, as will I once I use Litchi more. Its kinda cold these days :(

Last edited:
I've used Litchi a lot with my Phantom 4 and iPhone/iPad Mini. It's a great tool and has been exceptionally useful and reliable for all that time. I now have a Mavic 2 and Smart Controller. Not only does the SC use Android, it's a very cumbersome implementation of Android. And even after I spend the $25 (again) to get Litchi and figure out how to actually put it on the Smart Controller....using that implementation of Litchi appears to be kind of a crap shoot at this point in time, which Litchi acknowledges while pointing a finger at DJI for their inattention to the SDK (business as usual at DJI).

Anybody out there using Litchi on their Mavic 2 with Smart Controller having consistently good and reliable performance with Litchi? At this point, I've actually been pricing standard Mavic 2 controllers on ebay and contemplating selling my Smart Controller there. I am feeling like the Smart Controller provides relatively few advantages and a number of disadvantages to flying the Mavic 2.
Ive had success with it, however my missions have been relatively small (no more than 7 to 8 waypoints-sometimes even smaller 4 to 5 waypoints). I use it with either the Mavic 2 Zoom or Pro. I use it for contruction progress-monitoring (jobs-now) over my Inspire 2. It works well! this was the first time using (testing) with the Smart Controller.

Reactions: Gindra and dfwblah
Ive had success with it, however my missions have been relatively small (no more than 7 to 8 waypoints-sometimes even smaller 4 to 5 waypoints). I use it with either the Mavic 2 Zoom or Pro. I use it for contruction progress-monitoring (jobs-now) over my Inspire 2. It works well! this was the first time using (testing) with the Smart Controller.
OK, that's encouraging. Thanks for your reply.

So, Im sorry that I dont have more in-depth, long term, results on reliability of Litchi on the SRC, but I can say that Ive had 1 (out of 1, so far) successful, glitch free flight (and Ill add, not costing me an extra $25 thru Amazon).

This is because I was able to install and log in successfully to my google playstore via the below method linked...

Since I believe the Google playstore apk for Litchi is likely more thoroughly tested than the Amazon apk, I venture that the Google apk is more reliable?

(My opinion is the Amzn Litchi apk was likely thrown quickly together by Litchi after realizing the SRC didnt have google accessibility, and a quick way to chg for the prgm again, and blame it on DJI. Although I could be quite wrong?)

Anyway, heres a link to the method, if your interested.

[/URL]

If link not working, just search " Googleplay on smart controller" its on certifiedaerials wbpg
Big thanks to Certified Aerials
Theres a youtube video that makes it quite straight forward and easy.

Lastly, I do agree that DJI did use a horrible version of android (probably to maximize their profit instead of maximizing the devices performance), so I get it, if your not interested in what Ive said, but I thought Id offer it still.

I wasnt getting any lag, or ftaul in performance, running Litchi until I started screen recording, which happened all the time when using GO4, as well. After starting screen rec. it still ran fine, but the live feed would skip frames, about once every second or so.

Let us know if you find it successful, as will I once I use Litchi more. Its kinda cold these days :(
I appreciate your experience. My Litchi is the iOS version so I have to pay the $25 whether it's Google or Amazon. Just looking for the most stable version. I've heard opinions both platforms.

Well, I downloaded the Android version from Amazon (it was quite a bit easier than Google Play and I was going to have to pay the $25 either way). Without actually flying, can't tell about reliability, but the whole interface looks exactly as it does in the iOS version I used for years on my Phantom 4. It recognizes all my files, the camera and drone functions all work....so far so good. I'm going to look for a nice open field tomorrow and set up some really simple missions.

I’ve used litchi on the SC. I don’t like it much, it’s very fiddly on the small screen, I find using a pen tool helps. But litchi doesn’t produce smooth curved paths so find the video quality pretty poor. I use Autopilot with my Inspire, it’s in a totally different class but unfortunately AP doesn’t work on Android based controllers.

I’ve used litchi on the SC. I don’t like it much, it’s very fiddly on the small screen, I find using a pen tool helps. But litchi doesn’t produce smooth curved paths so find the video quality pretty poor. I use Autopilot with my Inspire, it’s in a totally different class but unfortunately AP doesn’t work on Android based controllers.
My biggest concern is reliability of Litchi on the Android platform. Apparently writing it for the Smart Controller required a substantial revision by DJI to the SDK. I hate being a beta tester.

Anyway, I never write the mission on my iPhone and wouldn't on the Smart Controller either. I do it at my desk on my 32 inch monitor. In a pinch, out in the field somewhere if I need to change an existing mission or write a new one, I'd use my iPad Pro...plenty of screen real estate there. I could upload the changes/new mission to Litchi Hub and then sync it to my iPhone which was running the Phantom 4. I can still do that but now with Mavic 2 and the SC I'd need to figure a way to get the new mission to the Smart Controller since it doesn't have a cellular connection.

You just connect yr SC to the internet through Hotspot on yr smart phone then sync the mission in Litchi

You just connect yr SC to the internet through Hotspot on yr smart phone then sync the mission in Litchi
Thanks, yeah, I get that. I just don't know how to do it (and haven't really looked into it yet). I'm completely unfamiliar with Android, and especially whatever implementation of Android that DJI has chosen for the Smart Controller. I'm confident I can figure it out, but it will shortcut me if you could explain the process of connecting using my iPhone as a hot-spot for my Smart Controller.

Go to settings on yr iPhone. Select Hotspot (just below WIFI) and turn on. Turn on SC & swipe down from the top of the screen. Long press the WIFI symbol and select iPhone. The first time u do it u may have to type in a password to connect

Reactions: MacCool
Thanks, that was helpful. I was able to connect the Smart Controller to my iPhone Xs and access the internet via wifi hotspot, Bluetooth, and by directly plugging it into the phone via USB. Solves all my problems except whether or not Litchi will work reliably, which I hope to convince myself of later today.

My biggest concern is reliability of Litchi on the Android platform. Apparently writing it for the Smart Controller required a substantial revision by DJI to the SDK. I hate being a beta tester.

Anyway, I never write the mission on my iPhone and wouldn't on the Smart Controller either. I do it at my desk on my 32 inch monitor. In a pinch, out in the field somewhere if I need to change an existing mission or write a new one, I'd use my iPad Pro...plenty of screen real estate there. I could upload the changes/new mission to Litchi Hub and then sync it to my iPhone which was running the Phantom 4. I can still do that but now with Mavic 2 and the SC I'd need to figure a way to get the new mission to the Smart Controller since it doesn't have a cellular connection.
Did you have you purchase another copy that you run on you desk top? I have Litchi on my SC but paid for it once and don’t what to ever copy
Is there way to us the HDMI port and plug in my IPad ad editor

Did you have you purchase another copy that you run on you desk top? I have Litchi on my SC but paid for it once and don’t what to ever copy
Is there way to us the HDMI port and plug in my IPad ad editor
No. You buy the app, which established your account. In order to design missions or review your flights and files, you log onto the website Litchi for DJI Mavic / Phantom / Inspire / Spark and click on Mission Hub. All your missions will be available, or you can design new ones, on the Mission Hub. When you save your new mission, it becomes available to any device running Litchi. You can also do that on the app, but it's a pain to do on a phone just based on screen size. Litchi is very cool. For non-intelligent flight mode photo/video flying, it's what I have always used when photography is the main reason for the flight (which is 90% of the time). It's always nerve racking to hit "start mission", and then just sit there while drone flies its mission, but it gives nice, smooth flying with very sophisticated control, and it's infinitely repeatable. You can fly exactly the same mission over and over and over again, different times of year, different times of day, even at night (obeying all FAA rules and regulations, of course). IMHO, it's worth the $25. It's just irritating that I spent $25 for the iOS version, then had to spend it again to additionally get the Android version for the Smart Controller. Also, I'm not completely clear on the reliability of the newly-designed version compatible with the Smart Controller, although I've not seen any examples of failure posted anywhere.

Last edited:
I hate being a beta tester.

Yes in deed... This is singularly, the biggest issue I have with DJI as a company and it seems to be getting worse!

Im glad your figuring things out. My post above ignorantly didnt take into acct that your an iOS user so I see why the change over to android (forced by DJI on SRC) has been frustrating for you.

Dont u think they should offer something with an integrated screen/RC combo, for the Mac crowd, especially since most DJI software works more reliably on iOS (at least at launch). However, Mac doesnt play well with other regarding their OS.

Good luck with the switch

Almost a year later, was the Amazon version of Litchi proven more stable than the Google Play one ?
Any one have been using the Google version and could provide feedback ? It make much more sense for me to install Apps from the Google Play that I already own (and there is way more choices of apps overall), but in the end I want to play it safe with the more stable one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e