DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller charging

peyperj

Reactions
Unboxed my M2P yesterday and first thing was to put all the batteries and Smart Controller on charge.
24 hrs later and the controller is still charging?.....
I plugged the controller into the battery charger. Is this normal?

SC charger = 5v 3 amps to usb

M2 charger = 5v 2 amps to usb

Thus, a larger sized charger is not necessarily better. SC charger is alot faster, maybe because its dedicated to the SC and doesnt have to worry about charging a flight battery at the same time.

20190504_214524.jpeg20190504_214531.jpeg20190504_214538.jpeg

Last edited:
It seems that the SC charger may be similar to QC3. Higher voltages rather than higher current to achieve higher wattage.
I don't get the 3.6-8V marking though.

The genuine DJI charging adaptor that is included with the Smart Controller follows the new rising standard for “Quick Charging” over USB-C at 12VDC. The lower voltage markings are used/output if you plug in a standard USB cable and device like the Standard Controller which charges at ~5VDC. The Quick Chargers “negotiate” what voltage to output to prevent damage to the unsuspecting lower voltage devices you may plug in. If a QC handshakes/acknowledges it is compatible with the QC standard, the adaptor outputs a higher voltage.

Unfortunately, it does not appear that DJI offers the Quick charging adaptor separately to date. If you misplace or damage the original one that was included, you have options. Try on-line, Best Buy or other electronics store and look specifically for USB Quick Chargers. Many have different color USB-A ports (orange, blue, green, and so forth), while most normal adaptors use standard black ports. I found a compact model (PT-AC1UQC3) manufactured by Platinum thank works quite well.

I hope this helps shed some light on the long charging time mystery.

Sadly, none of my USB fast charge devices work with the DJI SC. Only their specific model.

Yeah I mentioned in my latest VLOG that seems daft that you have to haul two chargers about (especially as I got the Pro2 with the SC pack). The DJI battery charger deffo doesnt support Fast Charging over USB-C.

However all the power backs I have that FC my galaxy S10+ fast charge the remote too, so if you have one use that, What I'll be doing when travelling, as will have a charger for the phone with me, no need to take others. My QC chargers for the car fast charge it too, so it's not a DJI specific charge format, I'm assuming it's using either USB-C hi power charge, or Qualcom QC2/3

DJI doesn't ship a charger with the SC to certain countries. Any QC3 charger will work to charge the SC to 100%, but the vast majority are 1A or 1.5A at 12v. You will need 2A at 12v ( a beefy 24 watts!) for a reasonable charge time.

I bought the combo with the M2P (Europe).
There comes a special charger (3.6 - 8 V=3.0 A/12V = 2.0 A) with the SC and you can clearly see when plugging in, it takes about 0,5 sec where the lights go slow and then change to a rapid sequence of charging. Takes about 1,5 h for a full charge.

On normal USB connection, it even refuses to do so.

Last edited:
Sadly, none of my USB fast charge devices work with the DJI SC. Only their specific model.
The key, as mentioned previously, is the proper charger that can differentiate between slow or fast charging. I know my Samsung S9+'s charger is designed to fast charge the S9+ or an older generation Samsung on a slow charge.

Today, the combo of the M2P and SC has been delivered to me (Germany).

Even when connecting the SC to the special charger, part of the delivery which also includes USB A to USB C cable, (Output 17.6V - 3.41A or 17.0V - 3.53A, 5.0V - 2.0A) the SC gives a warning message thath the current charging speed is slow and that the original charger which came with the delivery should be used (although I am exactly using that charger).

Already tried several cables USB A - USB C and USB C - USB C and different chargers (including Aukey Turbo Charger, USB A Out 5V - 2.1A and USB C Out 5V - 3A, 12V - 3A). No change, the error message and problem still remains.

Only with with the white DJI wall charger and the white DJI cable, following happens: The special charging sound returns and returns every 5-10 seconds, which gives the impression that quick charging permanently starts and stops again and again.

Anyone with the same problem? As of now, it very regretfully and unforunately seems that I will have to return the combo package of M2P and SC.

Last edited:
If you've already tested out other cables, I guess, the problem might be the controller itself.
I would at least try to charge it for a bit in slow mode and see, if at some point switches ...
Other possibility would be to factory reset, but I think, there's something wrong with the controller.

Hope you get it fixed soon. It's a bummer to wait and receive a faulty unit (I had to exchange the Mavic 2 for image quality problems).

As indicated farther above, I found a compact model (PT-AC1UQC3) manufactured by Platinum thank works quite well. I bought it at Best Buy and it works flawlessly even though rated at 12v @ 1.5Amps, it fast charges without issue.

It makes use of Qualcomm "Quick Charge 3.0" functionality to provide a fast refuel for compatible device batteries.

Capture.JPG

Platinum - Quick Charge Wall Charger - Black
or
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/platinum-quick-charge-wall-charger-black/5713026.p?skuId=5713026

The Blue Halo glows brighter when the 12VDC charging is invoked. These are found in the Smartphone charger/accessories section of the store. If you show them the link and part number, the associate can locate in the store for you. ~$25ea.

Maybe take your controller and USB to USB-C cable to Best Buy and ask the sales person if you can test functionality before you buy.

Last edited:
Today, the combo of the M2P and SC has been delivered to me (Germany).

Even when connecting the SC to the special charger, part of the delivery which also includes USB A to USB C cable, (Output 17.6V - 3.41A or 17.0V - 3.53A, 5.0V - 2.0A) the SC gives a warning message thath the current charging speed is slow and that the original charger which came with the delivery should be used (although I am exactly using that charger).

Already tried several cables USB A - USB C and USB C - USB C and different chargers (including Aukey Turbo Charger, USB A Out 5V - 2.1A and USB C Out 5V - 3A, 12V - 3A). No change, the error message and problem still remains.

Only with with the white DJI wall charger and the white DJI cable, following happens: The special charging sound returns and returns every 5-10 seconds, which gives the impression that quick charging permanently starts and stops again and again.

Anyone with the same problem? As of now, it very regretfully and unforunately seems that I will have to return the combo package of M2P and SC.
Mine didn't fast charge first charge cycle either, however now it does every time if I plug it into a usb-c fast charge capable charger (including the doing station for laptop charger)

So maybe do a charge cycle on it, run it down a bit (mine went down to 40%) then it worked. Also doesn't fast charge the last 10ish% like most QC/FC devices

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
how stupid of DJI forcing to carry one additional charger (and cable), however small it is, to charge the SC instead making a compatible, short USB-C charging cable (or socket, at least) part of the AC power adapter

Reactions: m2zAL
After failing to regularly charge the SC with the special DJI charger, part of the M2P & SC combo package delivery and even USB turbo chargers (like the Aukey Turbo Charger, USB A Out 5V - 2.1A and USB C Out 5V - 3A, 12V - 3A), now finally, I found a working solution with the UGREEN USB 36W Quick Charger Dual QC 3.0.

Indeed, it's neither understandable nor acceptable that the M2P & SC combo does not come with the suitable charger.

Btw: also missing a carrying case which has space for the M2P with the SC, so that I have a standard carrying case for the M2P with regular controller (although not having that controller) plus a carrying case for the SC...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ENJOYBIKE