DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller Compass Calibration

eEridani

Reactions
DJI Smart Controller

Seems for whatever reason the compass is no longer agreeing with reality. Pretty sure it did at one time, but past week it is just off.

I've done the rocking calibration, but the process is finishing oddly. It only succeeds if I very rapidly move the controller about, and then 'completes' in about 1/2 a wiggle. If I use the speed the cal guide shows, the calibration fails every time.

The issue is that using the find my drone or the compass in DJI Fly, the little blue arrow that points to the drone is off 90 degrees or more; and it seems the rotation is backwards. As if east and west are reverse.

Any ideas?

In my request to DJI for help on this, they have now devolved into asking me what type of phone the Smart Controller is.

DJI Gamora Posted at 10-25 02:01
Hi, there. We regret the trouble you’ve been inflicted, we'll try our best to help you. Could you tell me the model of phone you're using now? Please try to change your mobile device and change the environment several times to check if this problem still occurs. Looking forward to your reply.

• Haha
Reactions: MarkusAtHome
DJI Smart Controller

Seems for whatever reason the compass is no longer agreeing
The issue is that using the find my drone or the compass in DJI Fly, the little blue arrow that points to the drone is off 90 degrees or more; and it seems the rotation is backwards. As if east and west are reverse.
What always works for me:
  1. Run the quickcompass calibration through settings
  2. Start DJI GO 4 and connect to drone (Mavic 2 Pro in my case)
  3. Stand behind drone facing where camera points
  4. Tap Attitude Indicator arrow in lower left screen.
The compass arrow now points correctly. It's saved my petunie several times.

Reactions: Robert Prior
What always works for me:
  1. Run the quickcompass calibration through settings
  2. Start DJI GO 4 and connect to drone (Mavic 2 Pro in my case)
  3. Stand behind drone facing where camera points
  4. Tap Attitude Indicator arrow in lower left screen.
The compass arrow now points correctly. It's saved my petunie several times.
Does nothing here. No changes at all.

And which phone are you using?

DJI Fly does not do any compass "adjustments" between the drone and the controller device by simply touching the map or attitude display. The map does show a pin location, but that's the only function I see. Both drone and device compasses headings are and are and remain independent.

WooHoo -

DJI just informed my that they can't find the log they are looking for on my drone, therefore they are denying me warranty coverage of my Smart Controller. Pretty sure the Smart Controller compass isn't logged on the drone, or if it is, a log shouldn't matter. Plus, if the log is gone, it is because a DJI tech support person had me do a FACTORY RESET of the Smart Controller - which formatted the SD card I had set to be primary storage. But the funniest part is I was syncing my logs automatically to the DJI cloud... go figure.

Oh well - at least it is only a $1,300 waste - could be worse.

• Sad
Reactions: Bandit1
Here's the best visual I've come up with to explain the issue:
CompassError.jpgCompassErrorDetail.jpg

Strangely - the color of that little arrow changes, turning that greenish color when the controller is pointed properly. Bluish or pinkish when pointed away from the drone. So the software knows when it it pointed correctly (guessing color is probably from SC~drone GPS values) but the software places the arrow wrong (compass values).

Reactions: Bandit1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS