DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller is AWESOME ... (What fun!)

Rusty in Bend

Reactions
Got the FedEx this morning ... charged it, activated it, updated it ... and was flying this afternoon.

I've seen good and bad reviews on YouTube, but in my mind, this gadget is worth every dime I paid for it. The screen is amazing, the form-factor is super comfortable to hold, and I ran it through three Mavic-2 batteries this afternoon and it didn't get under 75% (on full bright in afternoon sunlight).

I give it two props up !!!

The bad reviews were always about either being too expensive, or an activation glitch, or a missing feature (like Waypoints), or (waaah) "I don't like Android".

For me ... it is and does EXACTLY what I was hoping it would be and do. An added plus that it fits perfectly into the Fly-More shoulder-bag.

The sad part is that now I need to sell my Crystal Sky 7.85 High Brightness monitor and Polar Pro Flight Deck monitor mount ... both of them purchased just before I found out this Smart Controller would be available soon.

This new integrated controller is so great to fly with, that I just don't see myself using the Crystal Sky stand-alone monitor ever again.

Mine has been held in Anchorage Alaska US customs since Thursday 01/24/2019.. When did you order and did it ship from China?

The bad reviews were always about either being too expensive, or an activation glitch, or a missing feature (like Waypoints), or (waaah) "I don't like Android".

For me ... it is and does EXACTLY what I was hoping it would be and do.

I completely agree. Two big things for me:

1) Display appears much brighter than iPhone X. Although my tests today were limited, it was MUCH easier to see the screen.

2) I'm a self employed father of two minor children. I miss a lot of shots because I cannot stop to get my gear, set it up, take the photos and then break it down while I'm on my way to serve others. Getting up quickly, while still being able to access my phone, and getting back down quickly, means I'm more likely to stop and get the shot - to fly more.

Can I find something to complain about? Yes. Am I happy with features making my flying more available and enjoyable? Absolutely.

Got the FedEx this morning ... charged it, activated it, updated it ... and was flying this afternoon.

I've seen good and bad reviews on YouTube, but in my mind, this gadget is worth every dime I paid for it. The screen is amazing, the form-factor is super comfortable to hold, and I ran it through three Mavic-2 batteries this afternoon and it didn't get under 75% (on full bright in afternoon sunlight).

For me ... it is and does EXACTLY what I was hoping it would be and do. An added plus that it fits perfectly into the Fly-More shoulder-bag.

The sad part is that now I need to sell my Crystal Sky 7.85 High Brightness monitor and Polar Pro Flight Deck monitor mount ... both of them purchased just before I found out this Smart Controller would be available soon.

This new integrated controller is so great to fly with, that I just don't see myself using the Crystal Sky stand-alone monitor ever again.

And it performed well in that BRIGHT BEND sunlight? (g)

Hey this is the positive thread, the complaint thread is over yonder....J/K

I got mine today as well! I ordered it on the 24th and it was actually in town on Sat but I didn't feel like going to get it- lots of snow here. So I just waited for them to drop it off this morning.

I've found several features that these "Professional YouTube" types seem to have missed. So far my favorites are "button combinations" and "Cast" which allows you to live stream your screen to other devices. I was casting mine to my TV. Pretty cool. I'm not sure they really highlighted the fact that it accepts a 4g dongle as well. I don't know about now but there used to be some really inexpensive ways to get strictly mobile data if you don't want to use your phone's mobile hotspot.

Label on the fedex box says origin was Cerritos ca.
I watched the tracking from China. Never saw any tracking info that was close to California. China, Memphis, then here.
Odd.

Label on the fedex box says origin was Cerritos ca.
I watched the tracking from China. Never saw any tracking info that was close to California. China, Memphis, then here.
Odd.

They were probably having problems with some customs clerk there and started shipping thru TN.

I too got mine today in NYC with no issues through US Customs. Thinking my order was in the 2nd wave & missed the “shutdown”. Ordered on the 24th from DJI. Can’t wait to fly. the activation and upgrade all went very smoothly. Did not use DJI assistant. Love the screen, will not miss iPad and bracket and standard remote and USB cable. SC has a comfortable feel in my hands. Gimbals feel firm and precise; no loose play. Looking forward to a hard plastic gimbal cover so I can leave sticks attached in my backpack.

Anybody figure out how configure the “Confirm Button” on the upper right?

post up pics of ur PolarPro CS mount set up, im lookn for one, could take it off ur handz...!

Memphis is a large fedex hub.

Actually, it's the largest FedEx hub but there are quite a few others including Indy, Newark, Greensboro, Miami, Oakland, Anchorage, Dallas, and Guangzhou (where they ship). China trips come into at least three of these hubs, maybe more today. Not sure why the airbill said Cerritos as the device clearly came from Guangzhou.

Mine arrived today also.
I received mine yesterday as well from DJI. It was held at customs for about 30 hrs.
This snow and Polar Vortex is keeping me from trying it out. It activated and updated without a hitch.

if anybody noticed from other posts - there was an update pushed today, .350 firmware version that installed GO4 app ver. 4.3.12 and also fixed map rotation issue. now it seems to be accurate.

Reactions: Greenflash
Appreciate the positive feedback - I'm getting ready to purchase a Mavic 2 Pro and am debating heavily to get the bundle with the new controller, or to just go with the regular controller and use my iPhone XS, or pick up an iPad mini or maybe a Samsung Note 8..... decisions, decisions.....

Appreciate the positive feedback - I'm getting ready to purchase a Mavic 2 Pro and am debating heavily to get the bundle with the new controller, or to just go with the regular controller and use my iPhone XS, or pick up an iPad mini or maybe a Samsung Note 8..... decisions, decisions.....

my take on that is - new controller is way more convenient and simpler to use than a combination of a phone and old one. but, it is bulkier, heavier and you will have to move out some items from the fly more bag if you decide to carry it in there.
for me it is a better choice, but i can see some scenarios, where i would prefer to take an old controller with a phone to cut weight of what i will need to carry. also, i have to say, i regret i did not save some $ and did not order a bundle with new controller, if that is where you at - i think it is a better choice. as i think you will be able to pick up old controller on ebay for peanuts quite soon as people will be dumping them.

Reactions: mwardncsu
Actually, it's the largest FedEx hub but there are quite a few others including Indy, Newark, Greensboro, Miami, Oakland, Anchorage, Dallas, and Guangzhou (where they ship). China trips come into at least three of these hubs, maybe more today. Not sure why the airbill said Cerritos as the device clearly came from Guangzhou.
Back in the early days of Fedex,I believe everything went to Memphis.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocko42