DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller - just out of box, firmware will not update.

coltwest

Reactions
Just took delivery of my new Smart Controller (about 2 hrs ago). Connected to my wifi no problem and was alerted to new firmware update for the controller. Firmware downloaded just fine, but upgrade process is stuck at 0%. Waited 30 min. for any sign of the update progressing....but no change. Powered unit down and tried again. Same results. Performed a factory reset, same results. Tried to connect to the controller using DJI Assistant 2 on three different computers, none can see the controller.

Very disappointed. This is a brand new unit and will not update.

Just took delivery of my new Smart Controller (about 2 hrs ago). Connected to my wifi no problem and was alerted to new firmware update for the controller. Firmware downloaded just fine, but upgrade process is stuck at 0%. Waited 30 min., no progress. Powered unit down and tried again. Same results. Performed a factory reset, same results. Tried to connect to the controller using DJI Assistant 2 on three different computers, none can see the controller.

Very disappointed. This is a brand new unit and will not update.
Make sure you remove the SD card if you put one in the unit power down power back up and try again.

Just got off the phone with clueless DJI support. They want it sent in for repair. I've had it just over 2 hours now and it's already "broke." Pathetic.

I appreciate the tip, but I did not have have an SD card inserted in it.
Carolina Dronz shared this with me....

We have learned there are some issues within the first batch of controllers released by DJI:

ISSUE NUMBER 1.

Inserting an SD card into the remote control before activation will cause activation to fail. This will cause the following error: Activation Failure. Error Code: 400

THE FIX.

Remove the SD card, then the activation will be successful. If the customer reports that the remote controller still cannot be activated without an SD card, please contact us.

ISSUE NUMBER 2.

The DJI Smart Controller cannot connect to Wi-Fi during the activation so it cannot be activated. The user may have entered the wrong Wi-Fi password during the activation, so even if the user enters the correct Wi-Fi password the next time, the connection will still fail.

THE FIX.

1. Connect to another Wi-Fi.
2. Change the current Wi-Fi's SSID and try to connect to it again.
3. Make sure enter the correct password when connecting to a new Wi-Fi.

Carolina Dronz shared this with me....

We have learned there are some issues within the first batch of controllers released by DJI:

ISSUE NUMBER 1.

Inserting an SD card into the remote control before activation will cause activation to fail. This will cause the following error: Activation Failure. Error Code: 400

THE FIX.

Remove the SD card, then the activation will be successful. If the customer reports that the remote controller still cannot be activated without an SD card, please contact us.

ISSUE NUMBER 2.

The DJI Smart Controller cannot connect to Wi-Fi during the activation so it cannot be activated. The user may have entered the wrong Wi-Fi password during the activation, so even if the user enters the correct Wi-Fi password the next time, the connection will still fail.

THE FIX.

1. Connect to another Wi-Fi.
2. Change the current Wi-Fi's SSID and try to connect to it again.
3. Make sure enter the correct password when connecting to a new Wi-Fi.

I'm 100% sure I connected to DJI without issue during the activation of the smart controller via wifi. However, just to verify, I did connect to another wifi access point and the "Updating stuck at 0%" issue persists.

Last edited:
Reactions: Campin123
As its so new you might not have to send it to dji but back to the place you bought it from, they would be obliged to swap for a new one as it was broken out of the box? Just a thought.

As its so new you might not have to send it to dji but back to the place you bought it from, they would be obliged to swap for a new one as it was broken out of the box? Just a thought.

It was purchased from DJI store online last week. They want it returned for repair.

And based on this post over at DJI, they are sending out refurbished Smart Controllers (showing physical wear) to those who have issues with brand new controllers. NOTE: this same post also mentions a software/website issue where the online "Quiz" can't be found resulting in a white screen on your Smart Controller, preventing you from using the "Go" software.

Have you tried updating it through your PC and DJI Assistant yet? I would definitely do that before sending it to DJI.

My SC had no issues downloading/updating the firmware over WiFi nor have I seen any quiz.

The DJI reps at the customer service level are 100% useless and have no technical knowledge, so I would try a few more things before sending it in.

Reactions: Bakeneko
It was purchased from DJI store online last week. They want it returned for repair.

And based on this post over at DJI, they are sending out refurbished Smart Controllers (showing physical wear) to those who have issues with brand new controllers. NOTE: this same post also mentions a software/website issue where the online "Quiz" can't be found resulting in a white screen on your Smart Controller, preventing you from using the "Go" software.
Man what the ! is going on with dji at the mo. Maybe that scandal a few months ago (160m stolen) hit them harder than we all think! I would go nuts if i received a secondhand NEW purchase. I am sure that would be considered illegal no?

Just tell them you will not except a refurb for a brand new purchase. You could demand a refund and just buy a new one somewhere else?

Reactions: chuck1026
Have you tried updating it through your PC and DJI Assistant yet? I would definitely do that before sending it to DJI.

My SC had no issues downloading/updating the firmware over WiFi nor have I seen any quiz.

The DJI reps at the customer service level are 100% useless and have no technical knowledge, so I would try a few more things before sending it in.

I can get the Smart Controller to download the firmware, but it just won’t get past 0%.

Can’t get DJI Assistant 2 to see the Smart Controller on Mac OSX. I’ve tried it on multiple Mac’s. Even tried it on Windows 7. Of course, DJI Assistant 2 is its own bag of mess on Windows 10 now. It has install issues on Windows 10 because of unsigned drivers. I’m searching for a copy of DJI Assistant 2 v1.0.7 to see if that might help get it installed on Windows 10. If anyone have that v1.0.7 exe file please share!

What a mess!!!

BTW: The quiz only comes up if you haven’t already completed it before using the standard controller and a device like android/iOS. I never did, so I was getting the quiz white screen on the Smart Controller until I took the quiz using my iPhone and standard controller. Some folks who bought the new Smart Controller and Mavic 2 Pro as a bundle aren’t so lucky. They are being directed to a bad URL (which hosts the quiz) within the Smart Controller. The URL is dead so they can’t get anywhere.

Last edited:
I can the Smart Controller to download the firmware, but it just won’t get past 0%.

Can’t get DJI Assistant 2 to see the Smart Controller on Mac OSX. I’ve tried it on multiple Mac’s. Even tried it on Windows 7. Of course, DJI Assistant 2 is its own bag of mess on Windows 10 now. It has install issues on Windows 10 because of unsigned drivers. I’m searching for a copy of DJI Assistant 2 v1.0.7 to see if that might help get it installed on Windows 10. If anyone have that v1.0.7 exe file please share!

What a mess!!!

BTW: The quiz only comes up if you haven’t already completed it before using the standard controller and a device like android/iOS. I never did, so I was getting the quiz white screen on the Smart Controller until I took the quiz using my iPhone and standard controller. Some folks who bought the new Smart Controller and Mavic 2 Pro as a bundle aren’t so lucky. They are being directed to a bad URL (which hosts the quiz) within the Smart Controller. The URL is dead so they can’t get anywhere.
Just for kicks.... Try a factory data reset?

I’m sending it back and getting a refund. I’m not accepting a repair job on a brand new unit. It should have worked out of the box.
After what you've tried I don't blame you.

Refund is the right thing to do. In fact its the only thing to do. A new product should work, that's why big companies test stuff. Yes some can still end up with faults, but when those happen replace immediately with a new unit and never ask the customer to send it back and wait for a repair that might involve getting a referb back in its place!

Reactions: ff22 and coltwest
Refund is the right thing to do. In fact its the only thing to do. A new product should work, that's why big companies test stuff. Yes some can still end up with faults, but when those happen replace immediately with a new unit and never ask the customer to send it back and wait for a repair that might involve getting a referb back in its place!

They want me to pay the return shipping costs to do the refund. That ain’t happening.

You should keep any emails that say crazy stuff like that and report to trading standards or whatever body governs that sort of stuff in your area / country and also share on the dji forum so they know others can see what is going on with some customers. Tell dji you are doing so via email and see if they get there act together then? You are covered / protected by law when you buy anything online especially in the first week or so.

Let us know what happens

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato