DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller/Mavic 2 Pro Combo - mission planning

Niemand

Reactions
G'day! I've had my license for about 3 months now and I'm in the mapping/aerial photography side for data collection/inspection/mapping. I started out with the standard RC, but the mini USB port broke. I thought it'd make sense to get the Smart Controller to prevent having to go through the same thing again. Well, there's so much I'm learning still and thinking/assuming may have been too much for me.

So, as I was beginning to learn how to use Pix4DCapture to plan missions, define areas, get the proper overlap of NADIR images, orientate the paths for the mission, and set the time of flight based on the elevation & area to be covered eventually to create an ortho-rectified mosaic with Ground Control Points... the original RC was no longer able to be charge due to the mini USB port breaking (the small tongue inside). Can Pix4DCapture work on the SMART Controller? Everywhere I've read info on to date has indicated no mission planner apps work on it, other than Litchi, which does not accomplish what I'm trying to do as previously described. I'm not seeing anyone else with apps that agree with this Smart Controller (DJI Go Pro, Drone2Map, PrecisionFlight, DroneDeploy, DroneHarmony, and I know there's many others). So, I'm hoping someone can enlighten me on what does work for this purpose.

Thanks in advance! Eagerly awaiting to learn from your experiences.

That's the biggest issue with the SC - not compatible with 3rd party apps as you mentioned.
You have to find a standard RC with an appropriate tablet to run your mapping apps.

That's the biggest issue with the SC - not compatible with 3rd party apps as you mentioned.
You have to find a standard RC with an appropriate tablet to run your mapping apps.
Interestingly enough, after getting Google Play installed on the smart controller, I've downloaded Pix4DCapture & Ctrl+DJI. I've been able to make a flight plan in a cumbersome way, but I haven't had the opportunity to test it yet. Has anyone successfully use a 3rd party mission planner on this controller?

Interestingly enough, after getting Google Play installed on the smart controller, I've downloaded Pix4DCapture & Ctrl+DJI. I've been able to make a flight plan in a cumbersome way, but I haven't had the opportunity to test it yet. Has anyone successfully use a 3rd party mission planner on this controller?
According to PIX4D their Capture & Ctrl+DJI apps are not compatible with the SC.
Even DJI had released their SDK mid-2019, Pix4d has no interest in supporting the SC currently.

Look at PIX4D forums, here an excerpt:

The DJI smart controller is not compatible with Pix4Dcapture app that is why you are having a connection issue. Please contact DJI regarding the mission planner software which is compatible on the controller.

As reported by Gerald, the SDK for the Smart Controler (which enable third-party app like Pix4Dcapture to implement support) has been released very recently by DJI and we have shared this information with the Product Owner. So far it is not in our pipeline to implement support for the DJI Smart Controller.

Just to let you know you can use any flight planner software and still analyze those data using the Pix4Dmapper software.

Link: DJI Controller - Mavic 2 Pro - Pix4D No Connection

Thanks Keule. I've been scouring the DJI's, Pix4D's, and a few others. I find it seriously frustrating to hear someone say "you can use any flight planner software", when theirs isn't compatible & if I could use 'any', then I wouldn't be researching for what their product can do on a Smart Controller. Drone2Map isn't any more helpful though either. It'd be different if the Go 4 App did mission planning...

I find it seriously frustrating to hear someone say "you can use any flight planner software", when theirs isn't compatible
I agree with your statement. I personally had given up on DJI's add-on hardware either the Crystal Sky or the Smart Controller when it comes to surveying, mapping or mission planning in general.

I am using either GSPro or MapsMadeEasy to capture images and feed Pix4Dmapper to do the final processing with top results.

Drone2Map isn't any more helpful though either.
The same goes for Drone2map. Use any flight control app of your choice and let Drone2map do the rest.

It'd be different if the Go 4 App did mission planning...
GO4 is for recreational use and more cinematography use and not for mapping.

There is DJI Pilot app (Android) that has mission planning capabilities. But if you want to use it for serious purposes you will find some limitations in its use and I would not recommend using it with commercial background in mind.

My recommendation: Stick to an IPad Pro and select your preferred flight app to capture your images.

Just my 2ct. Good luck

There is DJI Pilot app (Android) that has mission planning capabilities.
Would you please enlighten me on what limitations it has? Would it be getting the 84.5 - 90% overlap? Is it compatible with the SC? I just went to DJI's site and the RC indicated that the "Pilot App isn't compatible with my device anymore"
My recommendation: Stick to an IPad Pro and select your preferred flight app to capture your images.
That may work nice and I could do that, but considering I have the Mavic 2 Pro and only a SC, that isn't a very good option. So, I'm assuming you mean buy another RC like the original that broke with "the easy to break mini-usb port"? I feel like I'm caught in the middle.

Last edited:
Would you please enlighten me on what limitations it has?
DJI has decided to include some aircraft/camera types when running mapping missions.
- Phantom 4 / Pro / Advanced / v2.0 / X7 w. 24 and 35 mm lens & Mavic 2 Enterprise
If you wish to use another camera, you must create a 'custom camera' and enter specific parameters such as Sensor size in pixel, Sensor size in mm, focal length and interval capture speed.

Would it be getting the 84.5 - 90% overlap?
Yes

Is it compatible with the SC? I just went to DJI's site and the RC indicated that the "Pilot App isn't compatible with my device anymore"
The SC and Pilot app is compatible with Mavic Enterprise series only.

So, I'm assuming you mean buy another RC like the original
Yes

like the original that broke with "the easy to break mini-usb port"?
Just can tell you what my experiences are - never had this happen with all my Mavics I have or had in the past.

Reactions: Niemand
G'day! I've had my license for about 3 months now and I'm in the mapping/aerial photography side for data collection/inspection/mapping. I started out with the standard RC, but the mini USB port broke. I thought it'd make sense to get the Smart Controller to prevent having to go through the same thing again. Well, there's so much I'm learning still and thinking/assuming may have been too much for me.

So, as I was beginning to learn how to use Pix4DCapture to plan missions, define areas, get the proper overlap of NADIR images, orientate the paths for the mission, and set the time of flight based on the elevation & area to be covered eventually to create an ortho-rectified mosaic with Ground Control Points... the original RC was no longer able to be charge due to the mini USB port breaking (the small tongue inside). Can Pix4DCapture work on the SMART Controller? Everywhere I've read info on to date has indicated no mission planner apps work on it, other than Litchi, which does not accomplish what I'm trying to do as previously described. I'm not seeing anyone else with apps that agree with this Smart Controller (DJI Go Pro, Drone2Map, PrecisionFlight, DroneDeploy, DroneHarmony, and I know there's many others). So, I'm hoping someone can enlighten me on what does work for this purpose.

Thanks in advance! Eagerly awaiting to learn from your experiences.
The easiest way to use pre-planned missions on smart controller in a human way is to install Amazon Store - you do not need to hack SC for that, it installs from its web link - and from the Amazon Store you can install Litchi.
it works now with M2P/M2Z from SC, allows you to prepare missions on PC and upload it from SC. last Litchi version uses the new updated API and connects fine.
All DJI apps, i believe, force you to create and edit mission on the device itself while drone is powered up which is completely retarded.

google play store install on the SC is not an easy ordeal and in my opinion is not worth the effort. if you really need apps from google store - it would be better to get a different device and use standard controller.

I disagree on point that Google Play store is hard to install. It's actually several steps that do not require specific knowledge, just find instructions link here or on the web.

The easiest way to use pre-planned missions on smart controller in a human way is to install Amazon Store - you do not need to hack SC for that, it installs from its web link - and from the Amazon Store you can install Litchi.
it works now with M2P/M2Z from SC, allows you to prepare missions on PC and upload it from SC. last Litchi version uses the new updated API and connects fine.
All DJI apps, i believe, force you to create and edit mission on the device itself while drone is powered up which is completely retarded.

google play store install on the SC is not an easy ordeal and in my opinion is not worth the effort. if you really need apps from google store - it would be better to get a different device and use standard controller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000