DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller problems continue

RGS2010

Reactions
I was flying with Smart Controller doing a couple of roof inspections after Hurricane Nicholas and was screen recording while flying just around the house and the lag was so bad I had to stop the screen recording. Was significantly better without screen recording but still had noticeable lag that effected my flying. I’m going to do same jobs tomorrow with standard controller and see if I can screen record while also making video. I also tried my iPad mini4 with Air 2S and got the error that cpu was maxed out and performance would be effected so I took it off right away. Both the Smart Controller and my iPad work with my Mini 2 setup just fine but I guess the Air 2S taxes it too much.

Reactions: jay2020
I just determined some of the lag I was experiencing was the SD card. And I wasn't screen recording. I was using a U1 card (Samsung EVO Select 32GB is only U1), and when I removed it, I seemed to be getting a much better response from the controller. U3/V30 cards are in the mail.

no mate i have had the 2s since launch and i have tried everything to stop the lag nothing has worked i have emailed dji a couple of times no response been waiting for a firmware update to cure it but not happened, it is well documented. i take mostly pics so not as annoying for me but for people who do lots of video not nice, i have given up know i believe there is a new smart controller on the way so will wait for that, my theory is the smart controller is not powerfull enough to handle the air2s with it now being quite old, it worked perfect with my pro 2 for 2 years, bit of a joke really dji must have known...

no mate i have had the 2s since launch and i have tried everything to stop the lag nothing has worked i have emailed dji a couple of times no response been waiting for a firmware update to cure it but not happened, it is well documented. i take mostly pics so not as annoying for me but for people who do lots of video not nice, i have given up know i believe there is a new smart controller on the way so will wait for that, my theory is the smart controller is not powerfull enough to handle the air2s with it now being quite old, it worked perfect with my pro 2 for 2 years, bit of a joke really dji must have known...
I have an Air 2 with Smart Controller Fly More Kit - so I'm not in a 100% comparison.

I watched some gut on YouTube also complaining about Air2S being unflyable with the SmartController. I thought he was being a but overzealous? in his comments. Then I read a few more blogs that essentially said similar - just not as direct.

Guessing here, but worth considering: The Smart Controller is built around Occusync 2.0, the Air 2S is built around Occusync 3.0. The major difference I've read is 3.0 has more power - which should only help - but 3.0 also has some protocol tweaks to 'improve' video rates. Perhaps some incompatibility there. Rumor has it DJI is releasing a new SC with OS3 soon.

Yes I have u3 SDcard since the start. Disappointed with SC performance. It may have to be relegated to Mini 2 only. Is there an iPad higher than Mini 4 that can handle the Air 2S?
A pic of my Start RC propeller guards…

Attachments

• A9EAB417-A8B3-4558-A816-730CFDC8AC1F.jpeg
    A9EAB417-A8B3-4558-A816-730CFDC8AC1F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
Reactions: Jeff Scheetz
You might try popping out the sd care just for grins and giggles to see if even U3 isn't good enough.

Plus, not all U3's are created equal, either. I just went through and speed tested a several sd cards of mine and a few readers for read and write performance and walked away shaking my head in disappointment. Cards I thought were rated at 90MB/s providing only 17MB/s, others that I knew were U1 showed just over 10MB/s write (spec sheet touted 90MB/s -- probably read only)... that sort of thing. For example, my Samsung EVO Select 32GB is lousy at 16MB/s writes, yet the same class Samsung EVO Select 128GB version does 60MB/s writes.

For my EOS1Ds SLR, U1 is fine, the camera cache takes care of it, but for video, whole different story.

ps: I know noting about Apple products, so nothing to offer.

Reactions: RGS2010
In transmission settings, they setting the video feed to smooth rather than HD. You can also disable the cache files that are created. Also try no screen recording.

I have a smart controller I use with my ma2 and I had lag when flying over water. Changing the video feed to smooth and turning off video cache fixed it. I had to do the same on my galaxy s7 with the standard controller.

It's really a pain to have to connect the drone just to review app settings. But somewhere I think I even saw an option to save screen recording at 720 rather than 1080. Not sure if the overhead to do the image reduction would help more than the lower data requirements though.

I just did Air2s with standard controller with my iPhone 11 Pro Max and screen recording and with the prop guards on and it was smooth as butter for as far as I wanted to go!

I then hooked up my Mini2 to smart controller and screen recording and 4K video and there was a little lag but nothing like the Air2S. I turned off screen recording and just a tiny little lag that didn’t really bother me. So I’ll keep the SC for the Mini2 so I can use goggles with it and give “rides” to prospective new pilots in the park or wherever.

Hope to see DJI give native support to their goggles soon!

I have used the Smart Controller (SC) with the Air2S since it has been introduced.
I guess I should preface this by stating I am in the US (FCC not CE) so that might be one of the issues with the SC some are experiencing?.
The first few firmware releases were actually noticeable to me as far as the stuttering, lagging, etc but it is now actually as good as the "regular" controller/phone. There were a few videos claiming it was dangerous, etc!! I never thought that.
Yes, it is at the "limit" of functionality especially with the Fly app and Air2S but it has worked well and I will make a few concessions since I love the SC's convenience/features as opposed to the remote/phone/tablet combo.

There are a few things that seem to be common issues: constant screen recording, "caching" of the images/videos, using "HD" as opposed to smooth for the transmission, SD card, and clearing the recent, cache and general "maintenance" of the SC. Mine still gets a slight lag when first loading a map at a new spot but then recovers.
I have experimented with the antenna placement/aiming and having then pointed "down" or "up" (90 degrees from the screen) result in the same/best range. Pointing "straight out" is the worst.

Anybody that has the screen recording going constantly seems to experience more lag/stuttering and I, personally, don't understand why you'd want to do that as a normal procedure? Something required for some task/job?
Same thing with the "caching" of the feed... just uses up valuable storage space. Just to have it in case of a lost drone?
The HD feed is nice but not a requirement normally...the "keeper" video is on the SD anyway. I do toggle it from HD from smooth if fine-tuning WB, focus, etc but smooth is the norm.
The SD card used in the drone HAS to be a top-shelf U3 V30 and that wouldn't hurt for the SC (if using one in the SC).
Since the SC is so obviously "at its limit", basic memory maintenance is required and that involves clear the application caches, recently used apps, free space, unnecessary files/apps, turn off Bluetooth and HDMI if not needed, etc
If I open the map (drag up from the lower corner) for the first time in a new location, it does lag but only for a few seconds and then recovers. It takes a few seconds to just do that at a new spot when first launching so no lost time or trouble at all.

Again, many will suggest that doing these "tasks" shouldn't be required for this product and I agree.... but... since I have had the SC for the Mavic 2 and now the Air2S, its pros outweigh the cons and worth the few extra steps.
Yes, a newer, more modern/powerful version would be nice but until then we have to make do.
Yes, the CE versions are apparently worse but I suspect that even the issues brought on by the limited transmit power can be helped

Reactions: Roberto Smera
I have not had any issues with my SC and my average flight is near 3000 ft , however I did replace the Attenna System with the Alien Dual and the Alien Dual Mini and that may be why.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain .

Reactions: WWMav
Jmb…Great info! I am in US also and made a last ditch effort to get rid of lagging on my SC by ordering fastest Sd Cards. They are “V90” and transfer 250 to 300 MB/second as compared to V30 that top out around 100 MB/second. They are pricy though! I receive them tomorrow and will try them in Air 2S and in my SC and set to Smooth. Screen recordings are great for Youtubers that post them online to show telemetry to viewers. BTW I had turned off all screen recordings and caching and still have lag. But I have not used smooth setting yet. Will report back after install new sd cards.

PS
I just flew recording 4K 30FPS on Smooth with same v30 as cards with cache off and WAS better but still too laggy for close professional work. Was fine for recreational. Will do same settings with new sd cards tomorrow or Tuesday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I have experienced same problems with Mini 2, Air 2. The Smartcontroller is big sh it. It doesn't work with Fly. With Go 4 is OK. Screenrecording is terrible, blury and only 720p. Lagging, yerking. I have Air 2 and Smartcontroller combo, thus it must work.

Unfortunately I have find solution, I have sell him, because using Smartcontroller is dangerous with Fly.

Reactions: RGS2010
I have experienced same problems with Mini 2, Air 2. The Smartcontroller is big sh it. It doesn't work with Fly. With Go 4 is OK. Screenrecording is terrible, blury and only 720p. Lagging, yerking. I have Air 2 and Smartcontroller combo, thus it must work.

Unfortunately I have find solution, I have sell him, because using Smartcontroller is dangerous with Fly.
I have an Air 2s and am not experiencing that level of issue. I get occasional lag or stuttering at longer ranges (>1 mile) from time to time, but it's short lived. Video blurriness or artifacts are pretty rare.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Update:

I received my new 64GB Kingston v90 285mb/second sd cards and installed in SC and in Air 2S. But a thought occurred … the fastest recording is probably on the internal SC, and I never tried that previously (duh). So with Smooth setting and no cache recording and no screen recording and video recording at 4K/30 I just flew and it flew very smoothly with no lagging whatsoever, I was shocked. I then turned on caching and flew and no lags either. SOOO I set new SD card to default recording and it was as good or maybe even a little faster. Couldn’t be happier after being ready to sell the SC last week.
I flew all flights in Cine mode also.

Update:

I received my new 64GB Kingston v90 285mb/second sd cards and installed in SC and in Air 2S. But a thought occurred … the fastest recording is probably on the internal SC, and I never tried that previously (duh). So with Smooth setting and no cache recording and no screen recording and video recording at 4K/30 I just flew and it flew very smoothly with no lagging whatsoever, I was shocked. I then turned on caching and flew and no lags either. SOOO I set new SD card to default recording and it was as good or maybe even a little faster. Couldn’t be happier after being ready to sell the SC last week.
I flew all flights in Cine mode also.
Update: When I turned on the SC Screen Recording, there was significant lag again but otherwise all is good. So will just use screen recording when posting YouTube videos where I need to show what the drone is doing in real time.

Reactions: maggior
I just determined some of the lag I was experiencing was the SD card. And I wasn't screen recording. I was using a U1 card (Samsung EVO Select 32GB is only U1), and when I removed it, I seemed to be getting a much better response from the controller. U3/V30 cards are in the mail.
You would have been much happier with U3/V90 cards.

You would have been much happier with U3/V90 cards.
V90 is overkill for 2k video on the controller, even for the 100MBps 4k on the drone; - but had they been available I probably would have purchased them. The V30 cards I have do 200MBps read, 160MBps write.

Last edited:
V90 is overkill for 2k video on the controller, even for the 100Mbps 4k on the drone; - but had they been available I probably would have purchased them. The V30 cards I have do 200Mbps read, 160Mbps write.

I think you mean MB/s (200 Mbps is only 25 MB/s which is below the V30 specification) and those are theoretical maximum transfer speeds, but what matters is sustained write speed, which in the case of a V30 card is no less than 30 MB/s. That is enough for 100Mbps video for example (12.5 MB/s) but a U1/V10 card is way too slow (10.0 MB/s minimum sustained write speed). What I am trying to say is don't look at the maximum advertised speeds, as those are highly misleading and nowhere near what you get in real world usage, what matters is the V/U designation which tells you the minimum sustained write speed. Also, the U rating is not to be confused with the UHS rating.

Last edited:
Corrected ... MBps ... lol. But since I didn't specify encoding, 200Mb/s can also mean 20MB/s.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU