DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller Quirks

Wizbang99

Reactions
Hope anyone can help.
I have been flying drones for few years. bought Mavic 2 Pro when it came out. Setting up drone & ipad took to long when in hurry to get a shot. I bought the M2Zoom with the Smart Controller.
Have used the Smart with both drones. But I shot this video & as it started out over the ice your see it stops. I had no control with the Smart Pad. No control just hovered. Few times I hit return to home which it did. I fly this shot alot, never had this problem with std. controller. Switch back to old controller Pad & finish the video.?? Later back flying on Smart Pad I was getting Obstacle system Turning off & on by itself warning.
Also old pad had me do the compass circle dance before flying. The Smart Pad does not ask at all. The list pops up when starting shows all ok before flying. Can’t find were to set and do my compass dance spin. It walks you thur setting the compass by rocking back & forth the Smart Pad.
Sorry so long. Last old pad you could slide the screen sideways to set home point - brightness. It’s missing on Smart Pad. All firmware is up to dste. Love the Smart Controller for the speed getting into air BUT nervous smashing my drones
Thank you for all your help!!
Wizbang99. / Ken.
Here is that video. Also all the obstacle is turned off.

Again Thank You !!

Reactions: Air_Joe and Porky
Confused. Your old iPad (?) told you to calibrate the compass every time you wanted to fly? And you did the calibration every time?

Low light conditions will at times give you a message that your obstacle avoidance is not available.
As far as the aircraft stopping, my guess is the sun. Flying into the sun will do that at times.
You could try that same shot with oa turned off to verify.

Confused. Your old iPad (?) told you to calibrate the compass every time you wanted to fly? And you did the calibration every time?

Thanks for the reply. On the std. controller that came with the M2Pro I used a IPAD not a phone as my monitor. ( phone or Ipad didn’t matter ) when I started everything up before I would fly on my monitor screen would show my view of my camera. With a slide from the left a see thru screen showing my drone settings. Calibrate the compass. HIGHLIGHTED. Then I did the 2 ways turning the drone & the screen would disappear then ready to fly. YES I have done the IMU program & the camera cal. on my pc screen with the dots.

Thanks for the reply. On the std. controller that came with the M2Pro I used a IPAD not a phone as my monitor. ( phone or Ipad didn’t matter ) when I started everything up before I would fly on my monitor screen would show my view of my camera. With a slide from the left a see thru screen showing my drone settings. Calibrate the compass. HIGHLIGHTED. Then I did the 2 ways turning the drone & the screen would disappear then ready to fly. YES I have done the IMU program & the camera cal. on my pc screen with the dots.

Hi

With Mavic 2 usually you do not need calibration, only it it will ask
But if you need calibration you can go to
SC settings-compass and calibrating
Using your SC
With SC you do not need move your drone
You are doing compass calibration only true
Your SC

The OA was turning on /.off 150’ up 10am. Clear & CaIm day for span of 30 minutes then stopped using the Smart Controller .
Over the lake that morning as before have flown this same flight toward the sun many times. But this was the first time with the Smart Controller. I fly over water alot so always turn off the OA. But this time it stopped & hovered did not respond till I was able get RTH to work.

Hi

With Mavic 2 usually you do not need calibration, only it it will ask
But if you need calibration you can go to
SC settings-compass and calibrating
Using your SC
With SC you do not need move your drone
You are doing compass calibration only true
Your SC
Just making sure I don’t have to do the drone spin with new SC. At a job site this morning I started M2Pro with old controller & warning to do the compass drone 2-way spin. I shut down everything & pulled out my new SC everything started up with NO ck. Compass warning. I just don’t want to smash the drone into hundreds of solar panels. Still nervous to run my missions from the new SC. THANKS

Just making sure I don’t have to do the drone spin with new SC. At a job site this morning I started M2Pro with old controller & warning to do the compass drone 2-way spin. I shut down everything & pulled out my new SC everything started up with NO ck. Compass warning. I just don’t want to smash the drone into hundreds of solar panels. Still nervous to run my missions from the new SC. THANKS

This is something unusual
I have also Mavic 2 Pro and SC
I did calibration ones and never was asking
Again
There may be compass problems
If you for example stay on metal roof
Or you are close to big power lines
Or you go to other location witch is far
From location where you last time fly your drone but usually you will not be asked
To do calibration

Again
From location where you last time fly your drone but usually you will not be asked
To do calibration
Just pulled up to another job site to run a mission. Tried the old controller same thing came up to calibration screen then I pulled out the new SC. popup same see thru screen to settings ok. Only have 1 of older Controller. To try to see if a other old style contrler does same thing. And reply from DJI. I like to full time use the new SC. I’ll let you know when I smash the drone. Thanks for all your time.

FAF5BFAA-3F7D-4560-AD09-1A39216F69EF.jpeg4F1FB97B-6966-4AAA-8B4A-39CC77865506.jpeg
Again
To do calibration

Here are those 2 screens. First one is the compass Cal. To do. The 2nd is on older controller/IPad screen & to get to it is slide 3 o’clock to 9 o’clock on screen. Gives me the 3 options + adj. your brightness there. Can not find 2nd screen on new SC. probably not there, but I used and liked alot FAF5BFAA-3F7D-4560-AD09-1A39216F69EF.jpegCompass Cal. To do screen4F1FB97B-6966-4AAA-8B4A-39CC77865506.jpeg

Just pulled up to another job site to run a mission. Tried the old controller same thing came up to calibration screen then I pulled out the new SC. popup same see thru screen to settings ok. Only have 1 of older Controller. To try to see if a other old style contrler does same thing. And reply from DJI. I like to full time use the new SC. I’ll let you know when I smash the drone. Thanks for all your time.

Looks like you have serious problem with
Compass
Please do not fly your drone
Correctly working compass is critical
Please contact DJI
Upload your data to DJI server and let them deal with it
You have 1 year warranty
Good luck

Looks like you have serious problem with
Compass
Please do not fly your drone
Correctly working compass is critical
Please contact DJI
Upload your data to DJI server and let them deal with it
You have 1 year warranty
Good luck

I uploaded shot of new SC. I have flown abouts 350 or more flights with this M2Pro in tight places above & below solar panels thru 4’ to 5’ tunnels with OA off. No problem. Maybe old controller. Thanks

I uploaded shot of new SC. I have flown abouts 350 or more flights with this M2Pro in tight places above & below solar panels thru 4’ to 5’ tunnels with OA off. No problem. Maybe old controller. Thanks

I use to fly Hubsan 501SS. Always had to do the compass 2 Way dance. Never saw a problem or question when started using the M2Pro it asked the same thing to do. But now the new SC does not say a word to do it. Still worry I do not see telling me to do. I am just going to do the new SC drop down to get to IMU / Compass & set it there. I’m use to doing it. I’ll let you Thanks Ken

I use to fly Hubsan 501SS. Always had to do the compass 2 Way dance. Never saw a problem or question when started using the M2Pro it asked the same thing to do. But now the new SC does not say a word to do it. Still worry I do not see telling me to do. I am just going to do the new SC drop down to get to IMU / Compass & set it there. I’m use to doing it. I’ll let you Thanks Ken

Good luck
Fly safely

Grigori

I do not have an SC, but when I updated all my software on all devices before flying my M2P I did calibrate compasses in both the drone and the CrystalSky. Does the SC have it’s own compas calibration like the CS?

I was only asked to calibrate the compass the first time I flew my drone back in Oct using the original controller. It never asked or suggested calibration after that. I've not moved the drone very far only about 20 miles. I have not been asked with the new SC so far.

One has to hope that the drone communicates its needs to the SC like it did with the original controller. I would ask, too, on the DJI forum site, although frankly, I expect the usual answer "we will check with our engineers and get back to you!"

View attachment 66230View attachment 66231

Here are those 2 screens. First one is the compass Cal. To do. The 2nd is on older controller/IPad screen & to get to it is slide 3 o’clock to 9 o’clock on screen. Gives me the 3 options + adj. your brightness there. Can not find 2nd screen on new SC. probably not there, but I used and liked alot View attachment 66230Compass Cal. To do screenView attachment 66231
The first screen shows the compass as “normal”.
Doesn’t need a calibration.
Where it says “calibrate” is just what you click on to move to that task.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derekleeth