DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller regurgitated questions

Biggie777

Reactions
I don't understand how this smart controller is selling for the money, is just insane. Sorry for posting a new thread on this but I didn't want to hijack someone else's.

Ok so am I missing anything yet,other than a faster set up and a ( Mod Removed Language)of a lot of money? I watched a video that shows side by side setup and was somewhat deceiving showing you taking over a minute and a half(?) To connect your phone when I'd say a good 30 seconds for me no problem .. ok but On of switch,I see the appeal until I see $750?... Is the screen brighter or not I would think this depended on the phone as well but also what about the range being less is it?... Even so I'm just wondering why would I ever buy this other than convenience and possibly less range?
Another 50 bucks and get the Mavic air lol

Last edited by a moderator:
i think for most people ,its just the convenience of not having separate RC and Screen to set up more than anything else ,but it does seem a lot of money for what it is i suppose
when it comes to this hobby then its really down to personal choice what devices you choose to use, some swear by Apple and others by Android obviously screen brightness and size also plays a part ,with my old eyes i favour a 10.2 inch Ipad ,as a phone is just to small for me so see the app and then to touch the right icons on the screen to do things while in flight ,with my ever increasingly arthritic fingers

One has to look at the Smart Controller as it was first marketed I think. It came with the top of the line Mavic 2 series as a bundle. And I can tell you as one that got that bundle I am extremely satisfied. I got the M2Z and SC for right at $1300(ish). It isn't marketed even now to the one and done fliers beyond that for the most part. It is just being fed firmware for those that fly multiple drones. Those who have a M2, perhaps the Air2 and a Mini 2. DJI had already started they wouldn't update for the Mini 2, but under pressure from many owners outlined above they folded and added compatibility.

My SC can boot and fly my M2Z in under a minute and when it does so it is right at the camera screen saving a few steps from the stock system. Also the screen is bright enough to view in direct sunlight. The battery life is also excellent. There is no phone made that can compare. Phones like to list their phones with a high nit brightness, but they can't sustain that for any decent length of time before they throttle that down due to battery drain and heat.

Personally I would think one to be a bit more of having cents than sense to buy a Mini 2 and then go and get a Smart Controller for it...but to each their own.

I think DJI is doing it the other way, they are marketing their new drones to those who already have the SC to expand their fleet. I would have never bought a MA2(S) or Mini 2 in the past but now I can consider getting them as I already have the SC, just IMHO. :)

Now to get DJI Marketing to sell their drones as aircraft only :p I know they will do it on some models but you have to inquire directly to get them to do so. :)

Last edited:
The other day I flew one of my old drones that uses a phone setup (not DJI) and it really made me appreciate the quick setup with the smart controller. I got mine as a bundle with my Mavic Air 2 and got a deal from B&H Photo. The pricetag of $700+ for the SC by itself does seem steep, but if you fly a lot or fly professionally I can see it being worth it.

My phone would sometimes shutdown from overheating in the sun. My SC has never done that!! Battery life is insane and I easily fly 1.5 hours with no worries on battery even with the brightness cranked up. I really like not having to rely on a phone with my drone controller.

I used to fly budget drones and I was happy to get 200, maybe 300m with not video feed glitches. With my MA2 and my SC, I easily get 500m in residential and wooded areas. In more remote areas, I have gone close to 700m with no glitches. I am more than thrilled with that kind of reach. My VLOS extends to 500m for me, so I generally keep it in that range anyway.

I'm very happy with a smart controller. I bought it recently with my air 2S and it's been indispensable. I love how quickly I can set up, I really like the bright screen, which is much brighter than my iPhone 12 max. There are no cables needed, which is a frequent failure point with drones. I wish it were a little cheaper, but I'm very happy with how it works. Recent firmware updates to the smart controller, and an update to DJI fly 4 have made a big difference. No regrets.

would not have anything else have had mine since launch you will never know till you have used one for a while and when the new one arrives i will be paying what ever it costs worth every penny

Personal preference and individual usage. Not for everyone and ever setup. If it dont work for you or it's to much move on.

Reactions: maggior
I'm very happy with a smart controller. I bought it recently with my air 2S and it's been indispensable. I love how quickly I can set up, I really like the bright screen, which is much brighter than my iPhone 12 max. There are no cables needed, which is a frequent failure point with drones. I wish it were a little cheaper, but I'm very happy with how it works. Recent firmware updates to the smart controller, and an update to DJI fly 4 have made a big difference. No regrets.
I'm glad you compared the brightness to the iPhone 12 as well as pointing out the "No Cables" lol yes the set up fast part is appealing and I didn't even think about the cable part when asking this question but funny that you mentioned it because I haven't had mine long enough for cable failure/problems but I sure do know they are inevitable, especially on ones like that continually being used as such.In fact,my phone charger cable is failing now and I have been thinking about the little controller cable on mine pretty much since I've had my Mavic. Ha Good point to make.

Reactions: maggior
I don't understand how this smart controller is selling for the money, is just insane. Sorry for posting a new thread on this but I didn't want to hijack someone else's.
I make my DJI buying decisions base on whether or not it is compatible with the SC, that's how much I like it. I now have a Zoom, 2Pro, and Mini2. Same controller for all. Considering an Air 2 (S?), but the Mavic 3 is just around the corner.

Wanna save some bucks and still have full warranty? Try this: Refurbished Smart Controller.

</SS>

One has to look at the Smart Controller as it was first marketed I think. It came with the top of the line Mavic 2 series as a bundle. And I can tell you as one that got that bundle I am extremely satisfied. I got the M2Z and SC for right at $1300(ish). It isn't marketed even now to the one and done fliers beyond that for the most part. It is just being fed firmware for those that fly multiple drones. Those who have a M2, perhaps the Air2 and a Mini 2. DJI had already started they wouldn't update for the Mini 2, but under pressure from many owners outlined above they folded and added compatibility.

My SC can boot and fly my M2Z in under a minute and when it does so it is right at the camera screen saving a few steps from the stock system. Also the screen is bright enough to view in direct sunlight. The battery life is also excellent. There is no phone made that can compare. Phones like to list their phones with a high nit brightness, but they can't sustain that for any decent length of time before they throttle that down due to battery drain and heat.

Personally I would think one to be a bit more of having cents than sense to buy a Mini 2 and then go and get a Smart Controller for it...but to each their own.

I think DJI is doing it the other way, they are marketing their new drones to those who already have the SC to expand their fleet. I would have never bought a MA2(S) or Mini 2 in the past but now I can consider getting them as I already have the SC, just IMHO. :)

Now to get DJI Marketing to sell their drones as aircraft only :p I know they will do it on some models but you have to inquire directly to get them to do so. :)

Well said and spot on.

I really dont like the standard controller. I really thought the way the phone connected stunk and was clunky compared to my Phantom 3 Pro. I also lost phone connection multiple times and smart controller atleast 2x's.
The battery on the SC is also 2x's as long on the smart controller. The anti glare is defintley a huge plus....my cell phone is really just a mirror LOL!,

BUT the issues I am having is the **** thing wont unlock the way the smart controller/std contoller/phone combo will. I know people have said its the same but that is not my exp.
The fact is I have been "geofenced" 8 out of 10 times, in 3 different states and 2 different countries. If I unlock via the smart phone and std controller great flies and all good (if it stays connected).
But unlock will not work with the Smart controller (Connected via cell phone hotspot (pain in the A## part2).....thats right you still need a smartphone to unlock the geofencing. Mine will not unlock and have called DJI who said they will get back to me. But 700 clams and these kind of troubles has me excited for the New Parrot drone....

If anyone has anyidea why this is happening I am down for trying anything....again this is only with the 700 upgraded controller....

Reactions: Biggie777
I really did quiz myself (ALOT) on whether I could justify the cost of the SC. About 18 months on I would say 2 things. On many days it is the (psychological) difference of me flying or not - because it is just so easy. Secondly I also sometimes fly with BT35e's and that is mind-blowing. Now that there are 5 or so products that link the SC the purchase is vindicated and re-sale will remain strong as well. As DJI move beyond Ocuysnc 2 who knows what longevity is left for the SC (I'm looking at you Mavic 3) but right now while ever i have one of more of the 5 drones that use it - I'm a pig in mud!

Reactions: Biggie777
I really dont like the standard controller. I really thought the way the phone connected stunk and was clunky compared to my Phantom 3 Pro. I also lost phone connection multiple times and smart controller atleast 2x's.
The battery on the SC is also 2x's as long on the smart controller. The anti glare is defintley a huge plus....my cell phone is really just a mirror LOL!,

BUT the issues I am having is the **** thing wont unlock the way the smart controller/std contoller/phone combo will. I know people have said its the same but that is not my exp.
The fact is I have been "geofenced" 8 out of 10 times, in 3 different states and 2 different countries. If I unlock via the smart phone and std controller great flies and all good (if it stays connected).
But unlock will not work with the Smart controller (Connected via cell phone hotspot (pain in the A## part2).....thats right you still need a smartphone to unlock the geofencing. Mine will not unlock and have called DJI who said they will get back to me. But 700 clams and these kind of troubles has me excited for the New Parrot drone....

If anyone has anyidea why this is happening I am down for trying anything....again this is only with the 700 upgraded controller....
Entertaining lol

Kinda a vague question with no correlation...unless your are asking if HDMI out works with HDMI in...so the SC has HDMI out...from there you make the call. ;)
My apologies i meant *OcuSync 3.0….i don’t want to Sacrifice distance just to get this controller.

Is simple for me.
  • I have 3 drones controlled by one controller (smart controller)
  • My Smart Controller has an Allientech DUO II (booster) so I am boosting all drones with 1 controller
  • The Brightness 1000 nits display has a dedicated fan to control the heat and does not dime over the time
  • iPhone or Android phones or tablets will dime under the sunlight and also shutdown. Is no way they will compare to the smart controller
  • Finally but not less important, the portability and convenience.
  • I just love how looks and feels

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143