DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller versus Tablet

Check these threads:

As always the first question is what do u use yr drone for? First responders like the SC with the M2E because they can get it in the air quickly. I like it for the convenience, portability and reliability. But if you use third party Apps that don’t work on Android, use lots of third party Apps or like big screens then SC is not for u.

Reactions: RetiredInFL
I bought the 7.8" CrystalSky just recently. I love it because of its size (and brightness). I can actually read the text on the screen now and it is so much easier to use use the on screen menus. (less fat finger syndrome)

I considered the Smart Controller for it's brightness, but it was no bigger than what I was already using. Unfortunately, most tablets do not come close to the brightness of the CrystalSky, which is both expensive and pretty much limited to flying DJI products. It also doesn't support the Fly App.

You could also look at the Triptek Tablet. Good price point, very bright, 64 bit android OS, compatible with GO4 and the Fly App. Not sure the usable screen is all that big, but I gave it serious look.

Reactions: Mike Shock
The Smart Controller, while a bit pricy, is a bargain if you fly a lot or want to get airborne in the shortest time.
I have used it snice it came out and have had no problems with range or transmission with 4 different drones.
Now waiting for DII to add the the Mini 2 capability to the Smart Controller.

There would be a lot of reasons either way. I fly for rec and already had both a standard size and mini iPad on hand. So for me it was the cost savings. Found the larger iPads are just to heavy but the mini works well and I have a mount that it all fits into for one good solid unit. This one would be a personal preference I would think. Smart controller is great but for me hard to justify the cost when I already have an iPad. Just my cheapness coming out I guess.

Smart controller and your drone is all you need. If you use a tablet them you need the controller, the tablet the cables that go with it, the charging cables for booth the tablet and the controller the overheating problem with some ipad tablets, the problem of a not very bright screen of a tablet plus the bulk and weight of all those things together as well as fitting it all in a case to carry around.

Smart controller is simply one thing to turn on, no worries about added cables, and the screen is very bright in sunlight. If you later wanted to add an even brighter and slightly larger monitor to the SC then take a look at the incredibly bright Feelworld 7 inch 2,200nits of brightness 729S. I use it with my SC and choose to have only the camera view on the Feelworld screen. I use it for the times when I want more area of what the camera is seeing, I don't use it ever flight.

Go with the SC for sure.

I’m looking to buy either a smart controller or a tablet. Which one should I Go with?
I flew a P3P with a tablet. And I fly an M2Z with an SC. So glad I got the SC. The tablets are crap, compared to the SC. Switches are labeled, it starts up right away - doesn't have a cable attachment, and the screen is so bright I don't need a shade. Very convenient.

One other thing I considered while looking at the Smart Controller, it meant I would have two controllers I could link simultaneously to my M2Z. I thought it would be interesting to be able to have one person concentrate on piloting, while another worked the camera.

For the $750 (list) price of the SC you can buy a iPad Mini tablet and all the stuff you need to connect it and still have enough left for a beer or 2. SC screen isn’t much bigger than a cell phone. Of course it’s more convenient.

For the $750 (list) price of the SC you can buy a iPad Mini tablet and all the stuff you need to connect it and still have enough left for a beer or 2. SC screen isn’t much bigger than a cell phone. Of course it’s more convenient.
First off, you can pick up a used SC for a much better price than new. We choose screens not for price but ability to be able to see it in bright sunlight. Any cheap tablet or phone looks great in a darkened room but we don't fly from such places.

Then there is the amount of extra stuff to carry and plug in each time you want to go flying. If you choose a tablet that won't fit in the control holder arms then you also have to buy and fit the adapter to hold your tablet plus fit the tablet into that adapter.

So take all that into account when comparing a SC with a tablet. No tablet can stand up to the screen brightness and ease of use and no cable connection and no adapter to fit and hold it, when compared to a SC. Therefore, it is a No Contest sort of comparison and rather pointless.

First off, you can pick up a used SC for a much better price than new. We choose screens not for price but ability to be able to see it in bright sunlight. Any cheap tablet or phone looks great in a darkened room but we don't fly from such places.

Then there is the amount of extra stuff to carry and plug in each time you want to go flying. If you choose a tablet that won't fit in the control holder arms then you also have to buy and fit the adapter to hold your tablet plus fit the tablet into that adapter.

So take all that into account when comparing a SC with a tablet. No tablet can stand up to the screen brightness and ease of use and no cable connection and no adapter to fit and hold it, when compared to a SC. Therefore, it is a No Contest sort of comparison and rather pointless.
I agree. The convenience and extra brightness are both big winners. The small screen size was the deal breaker for me though.

And you can do little - I am aware there is a hack to install apps - with the SC except fly the drone.

Smart controller and your drone is all you need. If you use a tablet them you need the controller, the tablet the cables that go with it, the charging cables for booth the tablet and the controller the overheating problem with some ipad tablets, the problem of a not very bright screen of a tablet plus the bulk and weight of all those things together as well as fitting it all in a case to carry around.

Smart controller is simply one thing to turn on, no worries about added cables, and the screen is very bright in sunlight. If you later wanted to add an even brighter and slightly larger monitor to the SC then take a look at the incredibly bright Feelworld 7 inch 2,200nits of brightness 729S. I use it with my SC and choose to have only the camera view on the Feelworld screen. I use it for the times when I want more area of what the camera is seeing, I don't use it ever flight.

Go with the SC for sure.
Yes, the Feelworld is brighter than even the ultra bright CrystalSky.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy