DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller VS High Brightness Crystal Sky

I use an Ipad mini 4 and the brightness is often not enough.Thinking of buying a high brightness Crystal Sky or the smart controller.I like the idea of the 7.85"screen.Not sure if the Smart controller screen is big enough but if I bought the SC I would have 1 controller as a backup.Any thoughts-thanks.
I’d like to have an SC, but my tired old eyes told me to stay with my CS until an SC is available with a 7+” screen... a lot of data there to be monitored.
That said, I love my CS 7.85, but in the Arizona sun I still use a hood.

Reactions: Kingram
I use an Ipad mini 4 and the brightness is often not enough.Thinking of buying a high brightness Crystal Sky or the smart controller.I like the idea of the 7.85"screen.Not sure if the Smart controller screen is big enough but if I bought the SC I would have 1 controller as a backup.Any thoughts-thanks.
I've had my CS for a couple months and have not had a problem seeing the screen in broad daylight. I was using an I-8 before that and couldn't see the distance I needed to see. My friend had a CS in AZ and didn't mention any problems to me but he was not a professional photographer either.

Reactions: offtheback
I’d like to have an SC, but my tired old eyes told me to stay with my CS until an SC is available with a 7+” screen... a lot of data there to be monitored.
That said, I love my CS 7.85, but in the Arizona sun I still use a hood.
Hi Thomas B, I'm almost certain that my "tired old" eyes are probably worst than yours. After reading reviews of the SC and CS 7.85 controllers and thinking long and hard about what others had to say about them, I decided to take a chance on the SC.

MAN! that was a smart decision (no pun intended) on my part! The convenience of only having to think about grabbing one device and not worrying about cables or a mobile device holder, or lately, even a sun hood (more about that in a minute) makes it Soooo convenient to go fly in a snap.

For those concerned about the screen size, well, my experience has been that you don't even think about it when you're flying using the SC.

Sure, if you compare side-by-side the SC to another device, e.g., CS 7.85's larger screen, it will be noticeably smaller, but I have found that the size of the SC screen is no problem at all even for my 68 year old eyes.

Arkansas sun is also bright, similar to if not the same as in Arizona (with the added frustration of high humidity as well).

So, after reading about a custom designed sun hood for the SC that stays attached to it always, I bought one and it is wonderful! Now I have my SC equipped with its sun hood ready to go whenever I am (photo of the SC with hood is attached - for those interested in getting a hood for their SC, this is the link

I am very happy with my SC and, in my opinion, its convenience and ease of use far outweighs the slightly smaller display size. I simply love it, love it, love it!

Attachments

• SC with sunhood.jpg
    SC with sunhood.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 84
Look at like this if you are really into drone flying save up for the ultra-bright 7.85 and that will cover all bases. Have had no problems and works well in intense sunlight.

Hi Thomas B, I'm almost certain that my "tired old" eyes are probably worst than yours. After reading reviews of the SC and CS 7.85 controllers and thinking long and hard about what others had to say about them, I decided to take a chance on the SC.

MAN! that was a smart decision (no pun intended) on my part! The convenience of only having to think about grabbing one device and not worrying about cables or a mobile device holder, or lately, even a sun hood (more about that in a minute) makes it Soooo convenient to go fly in a snap.

For those concerned about the screen size, well, my experience has been that you don't even think about it when you're flying using the SC.

Sure, if you compare side-by-side the SC to another device, e.g., CS 7.85's larger screen, it will be noticeably smaller, but I have found that the size of the SC screen is no problem at all even for my 68 year old eyes.

Arkansas sun is also bright, similar to if not the same as in Arizona (with the added frustration of high humidity as well).

So, after reading about a custom designed sun hood for the SC that stays attached to it always, I bought one and it is wonderful! Now I have my SC equipped with its sun hood ready to go whenever I am (photo of the SC with hood is attached - for those interested in getting a hood for their SC, this is the link

I am very happy with my SC and, in my opinion, its convenience and ease of use far outweighs the slightly smaller display size. I simply love it, love it, love it!
I will probably never compare my CS to a SC, but I will agree that adding the CS makes for a more cumbersome "package" when flying the drone. It is another set of batteries to maintain as well as another battery charger for some. Something to think about before you buy.

I too use a mini 4 but use a Hoodman 2 piece sun shade. It takes a minute to set up but it was $600 less expensive. I also got An aluminum Mount so I can see the controller and iPad at a glance. There is a covered opening at the bottom to reach in and control the on screen adjustment needs. I think I spent about $90 for both.
FB2BF517-4D06-44A6-A0BB-D44919E87B1C.jpeg

Running the same setup. I'm often jumping in and out of my truck to grab a shot and it helps to only have two pieces of equipment to worry about. SC on a lanyard makes it easy to use both hands for the drone and anything else I encounter, like door handles and my regular camera.
65-year-old eyes aided by trifocals. Quite sure the CS is a better screen, but trading off the visual boost for the convenience. Amateur photographer, so a pro may feel just the opposite.

I bought the same SC cover/hood and I am totally pleased with my decision. It does a great job and fits easily into my backpack with all of the rest of my M2P equipment.

I use the SC and have no problems seeing the screen in direct tropical sunlight, YMMV. The convenience and value are off the charts as well, in my opinion.

Crystal unit is cost effective for folks with multiple dji models. If all you got is mavic - smart controller is the most ergonomic and convenient choice. If you need optional big display - there are 10" 1000nit hdmi displays out there, but i dunno why one would need that.
SC has hdmi output , so you can use anything you want

This is obviously a personnel preference, but I will add my 2cents. If you fly only the Mavic AND you like small screens then the SC may be the way to go. If you have multiple drones, you should consider the CS. I like larger screens so I can see more of what the drone is up there to see in the first place and I also fly Inspires. I have the 7.8 inch and love it. What I don't like are all the attachment devices that are offered by both Polar Pro and Mavmount. They are too heavy and too difficult to hook up and connect. So I went with the DJI Inspire mount and 3D printed my own pad to mount it to. The pad connects to the controller very easily and the CS mounts with a simple quick release lever. The cable is part of the bracket so you only need to plug it into the controller. And when you turn on the controller it automatically starts the CS. Also, I designed the pad so the mount is positioned so I can still see the controllers screen.

I fly multiple drones, MP, M2P, & Inspire & love CS 7.85". I don't think the ultra bright version is worth the extra cost in the majority of cases. Agree the extra gear & batteries is a little annoying, but worth it. I have never had the interference, over heating, or connection problems that came with Android phone usage, and the extra screen real estate more than compensates for any of the other negatives. My opinion only... ymmv.

I've used all 3- iPad Mini 4, CS high/7.85 and the SC

the real estate on the CS is fantastic, and for my old eyes, the brightness is more than enough. It is very chunky and you have to either carry a different charging brick or an adapter. I think that's the major drawback, it's just too big and takes up to much space.

The SC more than compensates for that due to its compact size and not having to carry so much extra stuff- batteries, charger or adapter, etc.

YMMV, but i have no regrets about my SC. Still have my CS, haven't had time to sell it....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S