DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller

Let me start off with saying I have very little, like using a friend's twice, experience with the smart controller. The screen brightness is great but very small and I still found myself having to move the controller to a comfortable viewing angle. The quick pairing and all that was nice BUT with it being 2 and a half years old and not having occusync 3 it seems to be a very expensive purchase right now. You won't get the full benefits of OC3 out of the Air2S or any other drone coming out so for me I would hold off to see if they make a V2 once the M3, Mini3 or Air3 comes out unless you find a really good deal. Like similar to buying a quality tablet type of deal. Just my 2 cents though so I won't be hurt if you disagree.

Let me start off with saying I have very little, like using a friend's twice, experience with the smart controller. The screen brightness is great but very small and I still found myself having to move the controller to a comfortable viewing angle. The quick pairing and all that was nice BUT with it being 2 and a half years old and not having occusync 3 it seems to be a very expensive purchase right now. You won't get the full benefits of OC3 out of the Air2S or any other drone coming out so for me I would hold off to see if they make a V2 once the M3, Mini3 or Air3 comes out unless you find a really good deal. Like similar to buying a quality tablet type of deal. Just my 2 cents though so I won't be hurt if you disagree.
Thanks for your opinion everything you say I agree with this is what prompted to post the question. So you confirmed my thinking and will be waiting for a new version to come out.
Thanks again.

You may be waiting along time for a new version to come out, there currently isn't anything on the horizon. I use the SC with my Mini 2 and my Air 2S and have no issues with it at all, no lag, no signal issues. The people that tend to moan are the ones that have overloaded the SC with app's etc and are seeing a slow performance due to that

Thanks for your opinion everything you say I agree with this is what prompted to post the question. So you confirmed my thinking and will be waiting for a new version to come out.
Thanks again.
Sounds like you were just looking for an excuse to not get one. I'd take Yeunglings' remarks with a grain of salt. The screen is plenty big and bright. Besides, who holds it at an odd angle? The advantages outweigh disadvantages 99 to 1.

The controller that actually comes with the Air 2S isn't O3 either, so there is no loss there if you really want a Smart Controller. If you think it isn't worth the money, or are happy waiting a year to see what else comes out, you should. If O3 is the reason, that's not really a valid reason one since no controllers are O3.

Reactions: RGS2010
I am here to help you my friend!! So I just got a smart controller 2 weeks ago for my Mavic Pro 2. It's going back today and let me tell you why I bought it and why I was disappointed. I have 3 other drones including a Parrot and a Phantom 3 PRO) and just recently purchased the Mavic Pro 2 with the standard controller. My initial thoughts were I liked the drone but thought the setup on the controller was a little disappointing, I really didn't like the way the cell phone connected to it via cable fed through the opening in the controller. I had it disconnect a few times and just thought it was poorly designed. I bought the smart controller thinking I would be able to get up in the air faster ( I shoot alot of Live events so speed is crucial) screens connected, better screen and very important the holder wasnt half blocking the controls (like accessing Cinema mode) on the edges of the phone.

After multiple attempts to fly in various area's I could use the smart controller 1 out of 15 attempts including on my vacation this past week. The critical flaw in the smart controller is that unlocking the GEO fencing ( I Hate you for this DJI and the reason I own a Parrot) is impossible without a laptop and a cell phone with Hotspot capabilities.

From what I have read you need to take a laptop with you connect to the DJI site ask for authorization through the laptop (Because the app isnt mobile friendly...if you request via the web). So you need to have the Mobile hotspot up, power up the laptop, log on ask permission, download and it should fly according to what I saw on various forums, This sounded like way to much work for me and have not bothered trying it. I did try multiple times to get it to preplan and the authorization never downloaded to the smart controller the way they said it should.

If you use the standard controller I have to accept the three boxes that say I am responsible and it goes immediately. If I am missing something or someone knows otherwise please let me know - as I see it if I use the smart controller, I need a laptop and a cell phone to get it to work a 100% of the time. Which means lugging more equipment and more set up time or I just get used to the crappy design which I think was designed to get you to upgrade as my PRO 3 had none of this and worked fine.

My opinion dont waste your $$$...or look for an open Item sale from Best Buy in Chicago in the next 3 days that will be mine that I am returning. If I am mistaken please set me straight but I thought the smart controller was a great idea poorly executed.

Sounds like you were just looking for an excuse to not get one. I'd take Yeunglings' remarks with a grain of salt. The screen is plenty big and bright. Besides, who holds it at an odd angle? The advantages outweigh disadvantages 99 to 1.
You might be right I'm 73 years old big drawer of obsolete android stuff that is useless junk because apps won't run on them any more. Most old android controlled devices cannot be upgraded .. to a point anyway.
I don't know if DJI has planned for obsolescence or there plans to keep it running. Its like new phones that come out ever year making what I just bought one step closer to the grave but enough rambling but I do LOVE new gadgets.
One last thing.... how long has the latest Smart Controller been on the market?? I'm getting so old maybe I should just go for it!!!!
Thanks for the feedback always good to have different opinions.

Reactions: edgardcafe
You might be right I'm 73 years old
I'm 74. The convenience and brightness make the SC worthwhile. Following instructions on this forum and others, I've been able to load other Android apps, even one that allows the SC to control the little Tello.

What I meant by moving the controller to a comfortable angle was that I like having my controller mostly horizontal near my waist with the joysticks pointing up but then that means having to really tilt my head down to see what I'm doing or I have to hold it mostly vertical up towards my face or with arms outstretched, neither of which is comfortable long term. And I would venture to guess that 5.5 inches isn't plenty big for most people. But the fact remains that this thing is going on 2½ years old with a 5.5 inch 1080p screen and, at least according to dji, limited to 128gb microsd cards but still sells for $750us and it took them roughly 6 months to add Mini2 support if I'm not mistaken. To each their own but for me I'd rather NOT spend that kind of money for a tiny screen and outdated specs.

What I meant by moving the controller to a comfortable angle was that I like having my controller mostly horizontal near my waist with the joysticks pointing up
Sounds like you need corrective lenses if the SC is kept at waist level. Mine is held about 2 inches above bellybutton by strap around neck. No problem brightness level viewing nor need for sunshade.

Sounds like you need corrective lenses if the SC is kept at waist level. Mine is held about 2 inches above bellybutton by strap around neck. No problem brightness level viewing nor need for sunshade.
Lets start off with I only offered my opinion on what I admitted was very limited usage to someone who asked and then later clarified because there seemed to be some confusion by what I meant. Why does there have to be any comment on how I'm doing it wrong, your way is better or I need glasses. I never mentioned anything about brightness or need for a sunshade, sounds like you need corrective lens if thats what you read. I said near my waist( as a point of reference, not an absolute location), which isn't too far from where you say you keep yours but maybe we need a pair of verniers to measure the differential. Now again because of where and how I like to hold the controller comfortably the SC doesn't work well for me because I have to look straight down at a relatively small screen. My phone has a 6.8" screen because I like to watch movies or read for an extended period of time. Am I doing that wrong as well and should maybe get an old iPhone 4 just for calls and a 14" laptop for the other stuff to replace it? With a seperate tablet or phone I can move and angle the screen to what works best for me, for whatever reason. And at well less than half the cost of the SC in the case of my tablet on which I can then directly edit my videos or pics easily and comfortably if I choose to without the need of a computer. So, and again this is for me and my comfort, I prefer something other than the SC. To be honest what makes the SC so appealing to so many people is part of the reason I wouldn't want it; the whole thing is integrated so if I break part of it I break all of it and I have no way of upgrading any aspect. With a separate viewing device if I break the screen, want a bigger or smaller one, want significantly more storage or to run newer apps that don't work on the older OS or whatever I can replace "just the screen" to solve the problem.

I am here to help you my friend!! So I just got a smart controller 2 weeks ago for my Mavic Pro 2. It's going back today and let me tell you why I bought it and why I was disappointed. I have 3 other drones including a Parrot and a Phantom 3 PRO) and just recently purchased the Mavic Pro 2 with the standard controller. My initial thoughts were I liked the drone but thought the setup on the controller was a little disappointing, I really didn't like the way the cell phone connected to it via cable fed through the opening in the controller. I had it disconnect a few times and just thought it was poorly designed. I bought the smart controller thinking I would be able to get up in the air faster ( I shoot alot of Live events so speed is crucial) screens connected, better screen and very important the holder wasnt half blocking the controls (like accessing Cinema mode) on the edges of the phone.

After multiple attempts to fly in various area's I could use the smart controller 1 out of 15 attempts including on my vacation this past week. The critical flaw in the smart controller is that unlocking the GEO fencing ( I Hate you for this DJI and the reason I own a Parrot) is impossible without a laptop and a cell phone with Hotspot capabilities.

From what I have read you need to take a laptop with you connect to the DJI site ask for authorization through the laptop (Because the app isnt mobile friendly...if you request via the web). So you need to have the Mobile hotspot up, power up the laptop, log on ask permission, download and it should fly according to what I saw on various forums, This sounded like way to much work for me and have not bothered trying it. I did try multiple times to get it to preplan and the authorization never downloaded to the smart controller the way they said it should.

If you use the standard controller I have to accept the three boxes that say I am responsible and it goes immediately. If I am missing something or someone knows otherwise please let me know - as I see it if I use the smart controller, I need a laptop and a cell phone to get it to work a 100% of the time. Which means lugging more equipment and more set up time or I just get used to the crappy design which I think was designed to get you to upgrade as my PRO 3 had none of this and worked fine.

My opinion dont waste your $$$...or look for an open Item sale from Best Buy in Chicago in the next 3 days that will be mine that I am returning. If I am mistaken please set me straight but I thought the smart controller was a great idea poorly executed.
The app on the Smart Controller is exactly the same as the app on an Android phone. Authorizations work exactly the same way. DJI has different levels of unlocks. Some, where you just check the box, some where you have to submit your number or something and get immediate authorization, and for the most restrictive zones, you need to request an unlock in advanced.

The only difference with the Smart Controller is that for those where you need to connect to DJI (the second and third above), you'll need to connect to wifi or a hotspot or something, since it does not have cell service like a phone. This is exactly the same as flying with a tablet that doesn't have cell service.

Reactions: maggior
This has been my own experie
The critical flaw in the smart controller is that unlocking the GEO fencing ( I Hate you for this DJI and the reason I own a Parrot) is impossible without a laptop and a cell phone with Hotspot capabilities.
I live in the Philippines near an airport.
I have avoided flying at home for that reason.
But wanted to do a test run.

The SC asked if I wanted to fly (not sure of exact wording) and ticked a few boxes and off I went.

Was this because I was at home and my SC was connected (I presume) to my home network?

This has been my own experie

I live in the Philippines near an airport.
I have avoided flying at home for that reason.
But wanted to do a test run.

The SC asked if I wanted to fly (not sure of exact wording) and ticked a few boxes and off I went.

Was this because I was at home and my SC was connected (I presume) to my home network?
Probably not. look at the DJI fly safe geo map. If you are in a blue are, you will need to pre-authorize or have internet connection at time of flight. If you are in an orange area, you can click the boxes without an internet connection (and for the red, areas you have some hoops to go through).

The post you quoted isn’t entirely accurate.

Reactions: Spikemixture
The smart controller is awesome if used properly. It is a tool to fly and remain compliant with FAA. If you start loading other apps simply because you can, then the tool's effectiveness diminishes considerably. Load those other apps on your IOS/Android phone, but let the smart controller be a smart controller and only load apps specifically targeted for it.

The brightness, battery life, and rapid deployment of a variety of aircraft are the compelling reasons to invest. If those aren't important, then carry a controller for each aircraft and carry on. Either way you should enjoy your flying experience.

You’re the only one who can answer that question. I can tell you the there hasn’t been a day since I received mine that I’ve regretted purchasing it. I have the MA2 and the Mini 2, use it with both. It makes getting your bird in the air such a simple and quick process in contrast to using the conventional remotes.

Reactions: Spikemixture
How can you say it makes it easier when you have to jump through hoops to allow you to fly?? I like it, I love the screen, battery life is awesome ( 2x's the standard controller), but my experience so far is while it has its perks I have yet to unlock a fly zone on the smart controller that I can easily unlock with my cell phone and the standard controller.

The app on the Smart Controller is exactly the same as the app on an Android phone. Authorizations work exactly the same way. DJI has different levels of unlocks. Some, where you just check the box, some where you have to submit your number or something and get immediate authorization, and for the most restrictive zones, you need to request an unlock in advanced.

The only difference with the Smart Controller is that for those where you need to connect to DJI (the second and third above), you'll need to connect to wifi or a hotspot or something, since it does not have cell service like a phone. This is exactly the same as flying with a tablet that doesn't have cell service.
Exactly. It is really easy to set up a hotspot on your phone and have the smart controller connect to it. This is also useful if you use the map.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada