DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller

johnnylang

Reactions
Hey all,
I don’t see many negative reviews about the smart controller, but can anyone tell me exactly what it offers to the pilot over the standard M2 controller?
I’m not doubting it in anyway, just trying to make an informed decision if it is worth the extra expense (I’m very happy with the standard controller)
Cheers

I was like you being unsure if it was worth it especially after using a 10” tablet but I am pleased I got it.
THIS should be a link to my first impressions.

I've used several drone over the years. The most clunky part of all of it was using the smartphone. I was at this conclusing before DJI announced the smart controller. Using a smartphone and a standard controller works. You can everything on the drone, but I hated uisng my phones. They had cases didn't aways fit in the phone holder spot, the screens weren't very bright, the cable easily go in the way, I had other apps that would pop-up or apps update, phone calls - whatever, it just felt like the cheapest part of the whole experince. I finally bought a smart controller last year. It was expensive, I didn't know if it would be worth it, I use third party apps with my drone at times like Litchi, which the smart controller didn't support and so on - to cut to the chase, I bought the smart controller. What's my opinion? I will never use another a standard controller ever again, if I don't have too. The Smart controller in my opinion is worth it and makes everything just easier to use and get up flying. I've also sided loaded the Google playstore and have been able to use other third party apps for my drone. But again, just my opinion.

Reactions: Ken.
I’ve only had one a few weeks but I wouldn’t change it .
Sure it is more expensive and I tend to think that’s the biggest reason that people don’t buy them but I got mine together with the M2z which made it more affordable.
I think if you care to search on the forum you will find more very happy owners of the smart controller.
It’s really nice to use super clean screen , very bright under strong sunlight , it’s a pleasure to use .
Quick start up , no cables , no tying up your phone .
I’m sure you have checked out all the tech specs etc .
I really don’t think many people go back to their old control after using the SC .
There are also a number of reviews about that might help you figure it all out .

Hey all,
I don’t see many negative reviews about the smart controller, but can anyone tell me exactly what it offers to the pilot over the standard M2 controller?
I’m not doubting it in anyway, just trying to make an informed decision if it is worth the extra expense (I’m very happy with the standard controller)
Cheers
  • Bright screen. Even in sunlight have not needed sunshade. You must set screen brightness to maximum for best results.
  • No cable connection needed to a phone or tablet.
  • No need to mount phone/tablet or mount sunshade.
  • All in all fast setup* in under a minute. Star is because I've found to get radar directional pointer to work accurately pointing the direction the drone points, the controller needs to have compass calibration run from SC Settings. Do this after starting drone and SC. It adds another 30 seconds to setup

Reactions: Ken.
Even though the smart controller will probably be obsolete within a few years, I'd probably buy one. I hate using my phone. I was a bit disappointed when I found out my crystal sky monitors would not work with newer quads but it was like night and day using my 7" ultra bright with my MP. If you fly a lot it might be worth the extra 800 bucks.

I was debating whether to buy a smart controller or not. I hate fussing with the normal controller with my phone. At the end of the day, I decided not to buy it. The way things go with drones, I buy/sell drones to upgrade and I try to take minimal loss while doing so. I've bought a MA used and sold it for a $50 profit. I just picked up a M2P used and I plan on selling it when I upgrade to my next drone. As much as I want to get a SC, I don't use my drone nearly enough to get a good ROI on it.

That said, I've read a lot of reviews and the biggest downside is cost. Some folks complain about size/weight and also the outdated version of Android it uses. There's also the question of support for future drones.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000