DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller

Music One

Reactions
Thinking of buying a Smart Controller for my M2P. I have watched a few vids but thought I would check in here too about anyones thoughts and experiences. On one vid it mentioned something about no wi fi and unable to get a homepoint position. No doubt Ive read it all wrong so would be greateful of any input
Thanks in anticipation

SC has WiFi if you want to connect to your home WiFi or similar. It’s not using WiFi for flight. It uses Occusync 2.

I have used a SC over a year and love it. No issues so far. Screen is plenty bright and is large enough for me.

Range for me is less than stock controller but I can get to where I need to get to.

Convenience of design and not having cables and an external device for viewing makes a big difference for me.

Paul C

Thanks for that info Paul. A silly question no doubt but any idea why the range is less than the stock controller if it has occu 2. Im certainly no distance flyer. What sort of distance are you happy using or what limit may we be talking. Sorry for so many questions.

I have had the SC and switched back to the regular RC after a couple of months. I paid a premium for the SC and expected it to be better than the regular RC in all aspects. Disappointingly, the reality is NO.

The image processing power is wayyyy.... poorer than my phone as demonstrated by this choppy video feed. I am not the only one experiencing such problem as there have been similar reports by SC users on the internet. I just knew it too late.

Another selling point of the SC is it's bright screen but my iphone's screen is just a bright and actually better because the contrast is a lot higher ( OLED ).

So the only remaining advantage of the SC is eliminating the need to connect the phone before using. Does that worth the extra price ? for me, it's a definite NO.

Last edited:
Another selling point of the SC is it's bright screen but my iphone's screen is just a bright and actually better because the contrast is a lot higher ( OLED ).

Interesting comments that the iphone screen is brighter.

I cannot compare as I use a Note10+ and IMO it is terrible

What Iphone ? What models have the OLED screen

Maybe I'll buy a 2nd hand older model iphone..

And I just found this - After reading it several times I am not sure what is the brightest !

"I had a Spark with Crystalsky screen before (with the same brightness as the Smart Controller).
Now I use the ipad or iphone but the brightness of those screens is a joke in comparison."

Last edited:
I have had the SC and switched back to the regular RC after a couple of months. I paid a premium for the SC and expected it to be better than the regular RC in all aspects. Disappointingly, the reality is NO.

The image processing power is wayyyy.... poorer than my phone as demonstrated by this choppy video feed. I am not the only one experiencing such problem as there have been similar reports by SC users on the internet. I just knew it too late.

So the only remaining advantage of the SC is eliminating the need to connect the phone before using. Does that worth the extra price ? for me, it's a definite NO.

I would totally agree that the newer iPhone with the OLED screen has the same or better viewing ability.

Problem I have seen where I live with 90 to 100 degree F hear 7 to 8 months of the year and close to 100 % humidity is the phone overheating and shutting down or more common dimming the screen to a level it can’t be seen outdoors.

SC does show visual choppy video feed at times however I have never seen that translate to the actual video captured in the drone SD card. BTW this issue seems to have gotten better with latest firmware.

New phone screens make the decision harder to make with the price of SC around 745.00 US. I have also noticed SC battery life to be less than it was when I first purchased it over a year ago.

Paul C

So the iphone 11 pro is the only one to get?

Of course the iPhone 11 Pro OLED with approximately 800 Nits max brightness is a great item especially as it serves other purposes.

However the SC not only has 1000 Nits brightness it makes flying starting out of the box a breeze. No fumbling with cables and phone holders that don’t work well if you have a protective case (and who does not). Worse - you may get interrupted with other events during the most in opportune moments.

Needless to say more. I have been using the SC ever since it came out. Never had a problem. I also use DJI racing goggles with the SC. No distance issues at all (well let’s say I rarely wander off beyond 2 miles).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61