DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller

It's compact, convenient, and the screen is great in any light. Very quick from taking it out of the case to being in the air. It's also quite a bit of money for sure. I'm glad I got mine right away with the M2Z, it was a little more reasonable that way. I was expecting future DJI quads to work with it, but so far that hasn't worked out so well. They keep saying the MA2 will, but so far nothing on that. But it sure works great with my zoom. As for is it worth it, that's pretty much a personal thing. :)

I think it’s worth it but I would say think hard before you buy, it’s a bit of cash to splash out.
I was dubious about the screen being tiny in comparison to my 10” tablet but I shouldn't have worried.
I now have nothing to set up before a flight, just turn on the drone and controller then take-off Thumbswayup

I love mine no hassel my wife loves hers to plus you can add another screen for friends or family to watch if that's your thing but everyone has different opinions

I agree on the Plus side on all mentioned. Next to the Cendence Remote Controller, this is one of DJI's finest achievements IMHO. :) It is a true joy to use every time I fire it up.Thumbswayup

I have the Ipad Pro 11 inches and has a gorgeous screen, but as more i fly with the smart controller more i like it.

I have 4 drones and the more i fly is the M2P because the convenience with the smart controller. I guess i will fly more my MA2 once is compatible. Is easier go out with just the drone, few extra batteries and the Smart controller without have to carry cables, tablet holder + install everything at the field, bulky etc... Flying from my balcony i dont mind because everything is at home.

Yup game changer indeed! Annoying that lame DJI still hasn’t done anything for the Mavic Alr 2 but used yo them saying stuff that isn’t true so zero surprises. The display smokes using an iPhone and just turning on and launching is great too. You feel like a man using it as opposed to a goofy iOS device. Worth the money to me. Would be nice to if more along the $500 range ideally though.

I was looking at another brand with the typical dinky controller, and then the cables that go here or there. is the cell charged? Are we connected? Satellites? This little monster has it all built in! turn it and drone on and go fly. The screen is very bright, so no hoods to worry about. I disagree with some of the posts here, it is cheap in my opinion.

Reactions: Drumsagard
If you have a M2Pro or Zoom... there is nothing better.... I love it!! I anything else it won’t be compatible. If you have a MA2, avoid it is not compatible. The Smart Controller uses GO4 which does not work with MA2, M Mini or any future Mavic Drones which use and will continue to use Mavic Fly app. The M Mine will never work with the SC. In April DJI promised an update for SC and MA2 within two weeks.... it is now mid September and still no update 5months later. Even if you have a M2Pro/Zoom now, the SC is not yet future proved for the latest or coming drones..... save your money now and wait for the update or be condemned to FYI g on 3 DJI drones. Not even able to fly the M3 if it is ever released.

Reactions: Timewarden
I agree with the replies above.
Much quicker to actually get airborne and probably most important (to me) is not having to bring along cables, tablet adapter, etc when flying.
I live in Phoenix, AZ so the sun is a concern with both brightness and overheating of the device/phone/tablet. None of that with the smart controller. Stays bright in this sun.

Is the smart controller worth buying or just keep using a I pad.
I purchased a refurbished unit from DJI, it’s absolutely perfect with the same warranty and DJI care option. It was packaged exactly as a new one and I’d swear it’s brand new. Best of all, it was $599 and shipped to my door in under a week. I’m no professional but this is a game changer for me, good luck

I purchased a refurbished unit from DJI, it’s absolutely perfect with the same warranty and DJI care option. It was packaged exactly as a new one and I’d swear it’s brand new. Best of all, it was $599 and shipped to my door in under a week. I’m no professional but this is a game changer for me, good luck
Yes, I also purchased it as refurbished from DJI...$599 and no tax (to AZ) or shipping charges!
Mine came sealed (with a "refurbished" label over the plastic wrap in the original box) but did not include a charger "brick" but did come with a cable and extra joysticks.
My shipping was not that quick because they sat on it in GA for 4 days before actually handing it off to FedEx
Very happy with it so far

Reactions: Drumsagard
My first good drone, I still love it, was the Phantom 4 Pro+ with the built in screen. After I bought a Mavic 2 Zoom and tried to fly using my phone I was ready to return it. To me it was a chore to fly. The phone had to be mounted and the cable connected. After all that, even with a shade on the phone, I couldn't see the screen in sunlight. Then I got the Smart Controller and everything changed. Now all I need to do is turn on the controller and drone, tell the controller which drone I'm flying (A simple touch on the screen switches between the M2Z and the M2P, no relinking required.) and take off. And, I can see the screen in sunlight. With the Smart Controller it's a pleasure to fly the M2Z and my M2Pro. Without the Smart Controller, or possibly a Crystal Sky, I couldn't enjoy flying my Mavics. The Smart Controller was a game changer for me and well worth the money.

My first good drone, I still love it, was the Phantom 4 Pro+ with the built in screen. After I bought a Mavic 2 Zoom and tried to fly using my phone I was ready to return it. To me it was a chore to fly. The phone had to be mounted and the cable connected. After all that, even with a shade on the phone, I couldn't see the screen in sunlight. Then I got the Smart Controller and everything changed. Now all I need to do is turn on the controller and drone, tell the controller which drone I'm flying (A simple touch on the screen switches between the M2Z and the M2P, no relinking required.) and take off. And, I can see the screen in sunlight. With the Smart Controller it's a pleasure to fly the M2Z and my M2Pro. Without the Smart Controller, or possibly a Crystal Sky, I couldn't enjoy flying my Mavics. The Smart Controller was a game changer for me and well worth the money.
Smart controller is far more enjoyable than a phone or tablet,but even with the silicon cover that has a shade I still struggled to see the screen clearly unless the sky was overcast.
I often fly my M2Z with the goggles to overcome this issue.
Last week I bought the 7" feelworld fw279 with 2200 nits,and connected it to the SC via the Hdmi...also bought the Lifthor SC holder.
Wow finally I can see the screen clearly regardless if it's very bright and sunny.
Still struggle with the mini, whether it's got the phone with a shade, or my ipad pro turned up as bright as it can go, and the shade fitted on.
I like the mini, but oh how I wish it worked with the SC., thats what put me off buying the Air 2 .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej