DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smartcontroller downloading firmware fail

Is it just me who has problems downloading the new update to the Smart Controller. I use Dji Assistant 2, it downloads to 99% then message ERROR comes up??

I don't have the Smart Controller but I have watched this video with the same problem, 99% and stop.

It's about 30 minutes long but basically the MA2 wasn't in the list of the Assistant software, or something like that.

Give it a watch and see if you are having the same problem.

Do a factory reset of the SC and start over.

Reactions: Kyle76
Do a factory reset of the SC and start over.
HI....Had this same frustrating problem....tried everything only to arrive at the same 99% point than nothing !...On attempt n0 7 as we speak !!! DJI...HELLO ....WOTS UP ??

Several have said it's a memory problem with too much data stored on the SC. As stated above, do factory reset to remove the stored data and try again. Also, use the DJI Assistant 2 app instead of over the air to update firmware.

Last edited:
I posted this on a UK site:

There is an update v01.00.0820 for the DJI Smart Controller which provides support for the Air 2. I don't have one but use my SC with a Mavic Pro 2 so the update is relevant to me as well.

When you start off the update on the SC (BEST NOT TO, READ ON FIRST) you may well get a number of network errors and the download stops. However if you select Continue Download each time it eventually, at least in my case settles down and downloads with a further hiatus at 99% where further network errors and a very long think occurred. This is where luck steps in. Some users e.g. there is a Billy Kyle video which shows similar behaviour but when the SC restarts the update actually completes. Lucky b******. Mine and others simply goes back to 99% complete and does NOT update.

The solution to avoid this or sort out the failed attempt is to use DJI Assistant 2 for PC or Mac which is now at v2.0.14. As I posted elsewhere my PC would not even see the SC when connected. I remembered that I had similar nonsense when the early January issue update was put out 3 times by DJI until they got one which worked. There was a workaround I found and posted I think here as well as the DJI Pilots forum which involved a factory reset. On this occasion this is not needed.

Assistant 2 will work but only with a couple of arcane settings in the deepest recesses of the SC settings. When that is sorted the SC will be recognised by your PC and you can do the update from there successfully or indeed go back a version or 2 if needed.

The settings in the SC needed are buried in Developers Mode which by default is not ON. This was my issue as it clearly was last time I did an update and looks as though it got reset possibly after the last update.

To enable DEVELOPER OPTIONS, open the Settings screen, scroll down to the bottom, and tap ABOUT REMOTE CONTROLLER and then go down to last item which is a bunch of text headed SYSTEM (or BUILD) VERSION. Tap SYSTEM VERSION 7 times in succession (no I'm not taking the p***) and you will get a message about Dev Mode/Options. Say OK. Now when you back out to the main Settings menu and scroll back to the System section you will find a link setting for Dev Mode/Options indicated by {} Developer Options. Tap that option. Then follows a long list of settings grouped again in sections. You need to find the DEBUGGING section half way down-ish. Then select USB DEBUGGING and set "Debug Mode when USB connected" to ON with a tap. When you do so a pop-up window appears with 3 radio button options. The crucial one you want to set it to is CHARGING ONLY - the first option. This doesn't seem natural(?) but it is the one you need.

After all this ridiculous kerfuffle you should be able to connect your PC to the SC and use Assistant 2!

I am not aware of any fix in situ for the SC. I also have no idea why some are lucky with an in situ update of the SC. This was exactly the same at the January update. Worked for some not for others so beware of smart ar*** who post "it worked for me".

Good luck. Who knows one day DJI may get their act together and sort their Android stuff out. I have worked and taught computing since for ever and have sufficient experience to know how to troubleshoot c***. I have no idea how the average Joe who just wants to charge everything up and fly gets around all this avoidable nonsense. Anyway HTH those who get stuck with this.

SUMMARY:

For those new to all this even if you use Assistant 2 it is not without a suggestion of glitches. There are 3 processes. Download to PC, Transfer to SC and then Update on SC.

You may possibly get the pop-up with the 3 USB options if notifications is ticked in Dev Options. As long as it says Charging Only you are good to go. A bit puzzling why this as if not set correctly the PC doesn't even see the SC! Anyway it is working if you see it.

I had a network error early on when I decided to stick a network cable into the laptop in case WiFi wasn't stable. Just clicking Continue was enough to carry on. The 3 stages are lengthy. The last one where the SC updates is very lengthy and can appear to be stuck for periods e.g. mine was on 16% for several minutes and then other %-age estimates could change quickly. At 98% there was a long pause this was while the SC was doing its updating and re-booting. You will likely get a report that network is iffy and click to continue/sort it out. This is essentially telling you that the contact between PC and SC is temporarily disconnected and the icon for the SC in the PC Assistant disappears. It will re-appear when the SC finally does its final reboot and initialises. At this point you should find all is well and for those lucky to have an Air 2 you will find DJI Fly waiting v1.1.6. My Go 4 is at v4.3.36 controller now at 01.00.0820.

I got this from Dji today but so far no solution.
I'll test with another computer tomorrow ?

Elizabeth Burke
(DJI Support)
2020年9月24日 GMT+820:27
Dear Per,
Thanks for contacting DJI Technical Support.

We felt much sympathy about your experience with updating, no worries, we're gonna take care of it.

Based on your description, we recommend you change the cable to the original one ( which sent with drone together by DJI).
If it cannot work, please choose another computer and reinstall the DJI Assistant 2.

If the issue persists after several times trying, please provide us a screenshot about the error message that shows up while 99% processing,
Besides, please let us know the serial numbers of your drone and remote controller.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further questions.
Having a nice day!
Best Regards,
Elizabeth Burke
DJI Technical Support
YouTube: DJI Tutorials

It will not be the cable. If your PC doesn't recognise the SC it is the USB setting as described in the earlier post.
Lack of memory is highly unlikely and a system reset is not needed. If there is a memory shortage just move some stuff like videos and photos off the SC.

Reactions: THE CYBORG

Elizabeth Burke
(DJI Support)
Dear Per,

We felt much sympathy about your experience with updating, no worries, we're gonna take care of it.

Based on your description, we recommend you change the cable to the original one ( which sent with drone together by DJI).
If it cannot work, please choose another computer and reinstall the DJI Assistant 2.

If the issue persists after several times trying, please provide us a screenshot about the error message that shows up while 99% processing,
Besides, please let us know the serial numbers of your drone and remote controller.

Having a nice day!
Best Regards,
Elizabeth Burke
DJI Technical Support

I create this video for you following @johnbirt recommendations. Try enabling Developer Options USB to charging mode and see if the computer recognize the smart controller with DJI Assistance for Mavic 2.

Last edited:

Elizabeth Burke
(DJI Support)
Dear Per,

Having a nice day!
Best Regards,
Elizabeth Burke
DJI Technical Support

Actually i just realized. You don't want to use the DJI Assistant 2. You want the DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic. That's the correct one for the smart controller.

smart.jpg

Ok thanks but my SC is new and has not the same menu. I have Assistant 2 for mavic. My menu has not Developer options and so on.

The menu will show up by taping 7 times where I show you in the video. The software is the same for everybody.

Ok thanks but my SC is new and has not the same menu. I have Assistant 2 for mavic. My menu has not Developer options and so on.
There are confusingly 2 distinct Assistant 2's. If you refer back to my post you will see it is v2.0.14 either PC or Mac the other version is for other devices.

Even if new your SC has Developer Options but they are hidden by default and your firmware might not be the last one. My earlier post shows you how to make them accessible. The video which follows my post shows how to get to Dev Options with 7 taps as described in my post. All Android devices have initially hidden Dev Opts.

The video unfortunately does not show the check for USB debugging as described in my post which is the most important setting as usually the Charging Only option is set anyway. If debugging is not set your PC/mac will not see your SC.

It will not be the cable. If your PC doesn't recognise the SC it is the USB setting as described in the earlier post.
Lack of memory is highly unlikely and a system reset is not needed. If there is a memory shortage just move some stuff like videos and photos off the SC.
No, seriously it is a memory issue. I've been trying to upgrade and not working. It's like the internal storage fills up as it's downloading and keeping both operating systems. I tried to find files to delete and had no luck. I have no additional apps and no other media stored on my Mavic2 Zoom. It's just over 2 months old !!!
I'm hitting reset and trying the assistant and will hopefully have some luck.
The reset worked, leave your wi-fi off until after upgrade. It seems as my Zoom needs a extra step when turning on, like now it says connect and I have to find my device. Not a big deal and the update seems pretty solid so far. And nice to know I can add drones and not need any other controllers ! Happy flying

Last edited:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO I cant get the udate of the year. :oops:

Got the Mavic Assistant : Failed attempt 3 times :
Reset Default on the Smart Controller : Failed Attempt , headache, swearing, second coffee.

What is the missing piece of the Puzzle:

When the Smart Controller connects do I want to transfer files or Charging ?

At 83 % the smart controller makes some beeping and restarts . but than fails.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO I cant get the udate of the year. :oops:

Got the Mavic Assistant : Failed attempt 3 times :
Reset Default on the Smart Controller : Failed Attempt , headache, swearing, second coffee.

What is the missing piece of the Puzzle:

When the Smart Controller connects do I want to transfer files or Charging ?

At 83 % the smart controller makes some beeping and restarts . but than fails.

Make sure you have at least 50% battery

1- Reset the smart controller erasing all data
2- Do not connect it to WiFi
3- Go to settings, Display , Sleep and change to NEVER
4- Download the DJI Assistance 2 for Mavic in this DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic- DJI Download Center- DJI
5- First open the DJI Assistance and then plug the USB C cable to the smart controller
6- When the control ask for the USB configuration select CHARGING
7- Start the update to the last firmware
8- The update will have 3 steps: Download, Transfer and Install the update
9- If everything goes fine at 99% the controller will reboot by it self and once boot you will see a DJI logo with a progress bar installing. This will take few minutes.
10- Once the controller boot again you should be ready to start Pairing the drone.
11- To pair the drone, go to Settings, Aircraft Management and Add the new drone
12- when the wizard indicate and stat beeping to pair the aircraft with the Mavic Air 2 on hold the power bottom for 4 seconds and will start paring.
13- this should complete the process.

Note: if you turn on the WIFI for any reason, the firmware will try to download automatically and will fill the memory and you will have the memory full error. You will have to Reset to factory and try again.

Make sure you have at least 50% battery

1- Reset the smart controller erasing all data
2- Do not connect it to WiFi
3- Go to settings, Display , Sleep and change to NEVER
4- Download the DJI Assistance 2 for Mavic in this DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic- DJI Download Center- DJI
5- First open the DJI Assistance and then plug the USB C cable to the smart controller
6- When the control ask for the USB configuration select CHARGING
7- Start the update to the last firmware
8- The update will have 3 steps: Download, Transfer and Install the update
9- If everything goes fine at 99% the controller will reboot by it self and once boot you will see a DJI logo with a progress bar installing. This will take few minutes.
10- Once the controller boot again you should be ready to start Pairing the drone.
11- To pair the drone, go to Settings, Aircraft Management and Add the new drone
12- when the wizard indicate and stat beeping to pair the aircraft with the Mavic Air 2 on hold the power bottom for 4 seconds and will start paring.
13- this should complete the process.

Note: if you turn on the WIFI for any reason, the firmware will try to download automatically and will fill the memory and you will have the memory full error. You will have to Reset to factory and try again.

Special Update:
After 3 hours of Smart Control Labor * Zeus jr. was born. ? ?
We christened him with a chocolate salted caramel creme brandy liquor

The agonizing pain was captured on video nearing aspects of insanity. DJI master plan. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavics in the RAIN and FLOAT on water.

This is for you Zeus, your a household name over here.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: VanP and zeusfl
There is a surprise for your efforts Zeus: Let me know what you want. Thank you
Coal

And nice to know I can add drones and not need any other controllers ! Happy flying
The smart controller also has fast switch and pairing of multiple aircraft. In settings, aircraft management, you can just touch your aircraft by picture and name (If you gave it one) once you have paired the aircraft originally, it stores that.

Then under settings scroll down to "Aircraft Management" and you will see both, or three or even four aircraft you have previously bound simply touch which aircraft picture and it will dump Go 4, automatically start Fly App or for Enterprise start the Pilot App and vice versa depending on which you are flying.

In combination using the DJI Labs extension (Again under main settings) you can tell it to fast boot to camera view on power up and when you switch aircraft. So makes things really quick to get into the air. :)

I watched the whole video with my wife and you have no idea how much we laugh and smile. You don't have to give me anything, is my pleasure help others. Just return the favor to somebody else. I am happy works for you !!!

• Love
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS