DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smartcontroller: To buy or not to buy. That is the question.

Have you bought a Smartcontroller?

• Total voters

Former Member

Reactions
Ok, so we already have a poll of the level of satisfaction of people who bought a Smartcontroller, but who of you have not? Why not? Simple poll.

With the new price of $750, it would be really hard to justify it.

How much........??? blimey that’s defo crazy money now. It may be good but................

For me to buy the SC I would also need to upgrade my case, more money. Think I’ll stay with what I’ve got?

Reactions: Former Member
I'm pleased with my spare Note5 6.5 inch screen. Don't see much of a benefit buying a very expensive add on that one ly works with that drone.

Dropped money on a CrystalSky monitor before the smart controller came out. I use it for my P4P and M2Z so no interest in it.

I agree. No backward compatibility with other drones.

With the new price of $750, it would be really hard to justify it.

I agree.

Thank you for that post. I was wondering why DJI raised the price after offering it initially at a lower price. I wonder if they will lower the price if they successfully negotiate with the US government?

Definitely staying with my CS until a large screen SC is offered. Maybe by then the trade war will de-escalate a little.

Good point. Do you think DJI will lower the price if the Chinese successfully negotiate a good tariff deal?

How much........??? blimey that’s defo crazy money now. It may be good but................

For me to buy the SC I would also need to upgrade my case, more money. Think I’ll stay with what I’ve got?

I never thought about that @Porky. Buying a new controller might mean people need a new case, and other accessories. I think you have a great setup already.

I'm pleased with my spare Note5 6.5 inch screen. Don't see much of a benefit buying a very expensive add on that one ly works with that drone.

I agree and I do the same thing.

Reactions: Porky
No I didnt buy one and probably wont

because:
  • Have 2 CS units and use those with multiple different DJI aircraft, so no need for another gadget...
  • Not being able to run 3rd party flight control apps (Pix4D or similar). That's the biggest drawback for me.
  • Only compatible with Mavic 2 / Enterprise
  • Screen size
Now something i put on my wishlist:
If DJI would make the Cendence v2 (runs Ocusync 2 with Matrice 200 series V2) compatible with Mavic 2 series, i would go shopping right on the spot!
(... and can use my CS monitors as well ...)

No I didnt buy one and probably wont

because:
  • Have 2 CS units and use those with multiple different DJI aircraft, so no need for another gadget...
  • Not being able to run 3rd party flight control apps (Pix4D or similar). That's the biggest drawback for me.
  • Only compatible with Mavic 2 / Enterprise
  • Screen size
Now something i put on my wishlist:
If DJI would make the Cendence v2 (runs Ocusync 2 with Matrice 200 series V2) compatible with Mavic 2 series, i would go shopping right on the spot!
(... and can use my CS monitors as well ...)

I agree!

Ok, so we already have a poll of the level of satisfaction of people who bought a Smartcontroller, but who of you have not? Why not? Simple poll.
I just got my SC a week ago, a few days prior to this I was flying on a bright day and could not see my screen (Galaxy S8) I had to turn in awkward directions get a glimpse of where I was, not to mention my antennas were now pointing in the wrong direction. This took all the fun out of that moment! The first time I used the SC I knew the cost was worth it, not only could I see a hundred times better, but everything just seemed to work so well, connection, range, etc. My eyesight is not the greatest, I am almost 70 so the investment is so well worth the money and I have yet to dial the brightness to 100%!.

Last edited:
I just got my SC a week ago, a few days prior to this I was flying on a bright day and could see my screen (Galaxy S8) I had to turn in awkward directions get a glimpse of where I was, not to mention my antennas were now pointing in the wrong direction. This took all the fun out of that moment! The first time I used the SC I knew the cost was worth it, not only could I see a hundred times better, but everything just seemed to work so well, connection, range, etc. My eyesight is not the greatest, I am almost 70 so the investment is so well worth the money and I have yet to dial the brightness to 100%!.

Glad you had a positive experience.

Reactions: RogerMav
Nope.

Overpriced, especially at the current price. Screen is too small and lack of confidence it will work with future DJI drones.

Only 31% say they won't likely get one. That's not what I expected. I expected it would be closer to 70%..

Only 31% say they won't likely get one. That's not what I expected. I expected it would be closer to 70%..

The reason I didn’t buy the SC was because I’d only just bought the CS, well a couple of months before the SC came out.

My CS is more than adequate for my needs plus it does fit into my case which is a very good point to take into consideration.

I’ve only got the 5.5 which I think is the same size as the SC screen so I personally can’t see the point in buying one just for the sake of it.?

Personally would get the giant white brick instead of the SC. But that's just me.
I suspect the exec @ DJI who came up with the price (and subsequent price-jack) has many white bricks with all the money they made selling it at this price!

I have to go powder my nose :)

Yes but not at the current price. Plus it's not available as a standalone unit anymore. I think some people will probably buy one when the prices come down to 3 or $400 used. It will still be a novelty because it's only able to be used with the mavic 2

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929