DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smartphone screen dimming

GeorgieDrone

Reactions
I'll be getting a new smartphone soon. One of the thing I'll be looking at is compatibility with DJI Fly app. I believe the samsung s21 and the google pixel pro are now compatible with the latest version of the Fly app. One thing that worries me though is that many are complaining that at maximum brightness certain phones overheat and this automatically causes the screen brightness to dim making many unusable after only a few minutes. Does the samsung s21 or pixel pro suffer from this? Of the two which one has the best screen outside in full sun?

One thing that worries me though is that many are complaining that at maximum brightness certain phones overheat and this automatically causes the screen brightness to dim making many unusable after only a few minutes.
I've never heard of that but then, I fly with either the iPad Pro or my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I guess a dim screen is better than a complete lockdown of the device until it cools down which is what happens to Apple devices. I've learned to fly in the shade. But thinking of it, it doesn't make sense that a phone screen would dim only a few minutes after turning it to its maximum brightness. If it did, I'm sure we'd be hearing a lot more about it.

Reactions: Etdronehome
I'll be getting a new smartphone soon. One of the thing I'll be looking at is compatibility with DJI Fly app. I believe the samsung s21 and the google pixel pro are now compatible with the latest version of the Fly app. One thing that worries me though is that many are complaining that at maximum brightness certain phones overheat and this automatically causes the screen brightness to dim making many unusable after only a few minutes. Does the samsung s21 or pixel pro suffer from this? Of the two which one has the best screen outside in full sun?
Here is a link that indicates the currently supported devices.

The issue with the Apple devices going dark is true as I have experienced it. When the screen brightness is turned up there is a corresponding increase in the internal temp of the device. Couple that with a high heat environment and you get to a point where the device hits it’s max operating temp ~115F for Apple IPhones and the phone shuts down before it destroys itself.
So three things to check for your new phone:
1) Is it on the approved list - beware of older model phones on sale 🤨 They might be on the list now but might get dropped as the app gets refreshed in the future.
2) Check the tech specs of the device to determine temperature operating range.
3) The tech specs should indicate max operating screen brightness. The more “nits” the better.

Hope this helps😀

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3