DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Snow flying. Bad idea?

I would never do that and DJI will not honor your warranty if you damage something while flying in such conditions. However, people sometimes post in this forum about successfully flying in light rain/snow.

Reactions: bobj151
I saw some videos of flights in snow. I am not that brave. I was thinking more along the lines of going straight up, click a few pics and come down. About 30 seconds or so. I was going to send my 2nd team drone up just in case.
I'm still mulling it over. We are suppose to have snow for 12 hours.

Reactions: Baja170
We are currently getting snow in the mountains of NC. Is a short flight close to the home point for pictures a bad idea?
Just bought my first drone yesterday and waiting for the sleet to stop so I can try it out here in Charlotte. How high of a ND filter should be good for the snow if you can help?

Just bought my first drone yesterday and waiting for the sleet to stop so I can try it out here in Charlotte. How high of a ND filter should be good for the snow if you can help?
I am not sure. This is the first snow since I got the drone.

@NCdroneguy which filter you use will depend on how bright the ambient light is
try an 8 ND first and see what it looks like

and welcome to the forum

We are currently getting snow in the mountains of NC. Is a short flight close to the home point for pictures a bad idea?
You should be fine in the snow , however if your going to want to be able to fly in the snow without any worry to the drone or the Battery or the Power button you should consider getting the Wet Suit for your drone.

Flying in the Snow can be the most fun you have with your drone.

Gear to fly in the Pouring Rain and the Snow.
Phantomrain.org

Last edited:
You definitely don't want moisture getting inside the internals. A wetsuit is a good idea for stuff like snow and rain. But I would wait for the snow to stop as it is usually tough to get good images or video with snow right in front of your lens. But of course, it all depends on the conditions.

Not saying to do it but yes it can be done with no added equipment. Never had a problem in the 7 years I have been flying in the snow. Making sure your drone gets dried off after use by putting it near a forced air duct helps dry it off.
Like I said not telling you to do it, thats up to you. Your money, your decision :)

Last edited:
@Agustine your video is not displaying above.

You can do it, but you have to make sure it's dry snow, not wet, slushy Georgia stuff (Michigan technical terms). At least in the mid 20's degrees.

Also - worth looking at the temperature specs for your drone. I went with an Air 2 over an Air 2S just because the Air 2 is rated down to -10C, and the Air 2S is rated only down to 0C.

Seriously - a drone that can't fly when it starts freezing outside is worthless.

Also - worth looking at the temperature specs for your drone. I went with an Air 2 over an Air 2S just because the Air 2 is rated down to -10C, and the Air 2S is rated only down to 0C.

Seriously - a drone that can't fly when it starts freezing outside is worthless.
But the Air 2 and Air 2S use the same battery, They should be the same ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: blong10 and Droniac
But the Air 2 and Air 2S use the same battery, They should be the same ?
There's more to a drone than just the battery.
Data that I saw from a flight in conditions that were much too clod for the drone indicated that although the battery temp was OK, other components were affected.
The altitude sensor was showing height data that was very wrong

Reactions: Pallidin
Not sure what Mavic you have but as others have said, you should be ok as long as you take some precautions. I have flown in snowfall frequently for years with my drones and haven't had any problems. The biggest problems are with setup/packup - that's when the drone is sitting on the ground collecting snow. I usually bring a hand towel so that I can brush the snow off before take-off and before I pack up the drone. Also, make sure that you keep your batteries warm by keeping them in a pocket before putting them in the drone otherwise you may not be able to take off if the battery temperature drops too low. Don't forget to dry your transmitter as well - I keep mine dry in heavy snowfall by using a transmitter mitt.

Today is a Snow Day here!!! All schools and buses cancelled! So as long as the wind doesn't get crazy, I may go out and get some pictures of the ice fishermen out on the ice braving the winter storm - they go out in almost any kind of winter weather!

Chris

I fly with my mavic air 2 in snow with no problems.
Launch the drone and hover a minute or two, the battery needs to heat up to 20°C at least. Also keep the batteries in the warm always. Do not fly in Sport Mode in cold weather.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu