DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SNOW SUITS ! Extreme Cold - Extreme Snow - Calling those that live and breathe the Ice age.

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Calling those that live and breathe in the Ice age.

We designed a Snow / Wet Suit that has extra thermal protection designed for the Extreme Cold :
Double the thickness of a Standard Wet Suit to increase the Heat of the battery and the drone itself.

Keeps the Battery Warmer, by keeping it covered and providing an air tight seal as well as being much thicker.

Letting the camera get covered in snow , taken only 1200 ft out.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Snow and Land on Water.

Email me at [email protected] for more information: colors and prices.

Last edited:
Saw the link, thanks!

Oops, I meant to ask if you see any improvement in flight time when using the thicker wetsuit in cold weather. I have your original wetsuit, but this new one seems like a better fit for my climate.

Amazing video !!! I love the different perspective from snowing from the drone !!! I am impress how well performed.
Thanks for Sharing.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Saw the link, thanks!

Oops, I meant to ask if you see any improvement in flight time when using the thicker wetsuit in cold weather. I have your original wetsuit, but this new one seems like a better fit for my climate.
The base wet suit goes from 1.5 to 3mm
The Batteries go from1.5 to 3.5 mm
The Bottom Surge plate goes from 1.5 to 3mm

All those changes make a big difference especially in the battery.

Reactions: zeusfl
The base wet suit goes from 1.5 to 3mm
The Batteries go from1.5 to 3.5 mm
The Bottom Surge plate goes from 1.5 to 3mm

All those changes make a big difference especially in the battery.

I'm just curious what those differences are, especially when compared to the original version. It sounds like the goal with the added thickness is to further help prevent adverse flight characteristics or failure due to the cold - I was hoping the added warmth (compared to the original) would additionally help with flight time too.

I'm just curious what those differences are, especially when compared to the original version. It sounds like the goal with the added thickness is to further help prevent adverse flight characteristics or failure due to the cold - I was hoping the added warmth (compared to the original) would additionally help with flight time too.
So will gun these in the morning: Stay Tunned !

Going in at 78 F both batteries at normal room temp.

I expect a difference in the Temp not only the top of the battery but the very bottom also;
Freezer set to 20 F will also test in the drone. . If the battery stays warmer , means longer flight times.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain/Cold

UPDATED: There was a 5 Degree difference in the Morning:
39.4 F and 45.F on the top of the drone.

The bottom of the batteries that are left open were both at 20. F
Both batteries did not start right out of the Freezer.

Few minutes latter at 28. F both started up.
So were confident at 5 Degree outside temps. .

Last edited:
Reactions: DUAS
I am not trying to be critical, but I fail to see how these Snow Suits provide any extra thermal protection when flying in extreme cold. I regularly fly my drones in cold weather and have flown frequently in weather as cold as -25ºC (-13ºF) and below without any problems. I have also flown in wet heavy snow like in your video (large flakes) as well as in heavy snowfall

The problem in these conditions is not the battery. The battery will warm up during flight as long as you keep it warm before you put it in the drone. The biggest problems you will have will be the accumulation of snow on the camera lens (like in your video) which basically ruins any picture taking and greatly decreases the quality of any video as it usually sticks to the lens and doesn't come off (been there, done that), and sometimes in very cold weather the gimbal will stick and the camera will not pitch smoothly. Other problems that can occur are accumulation of snow on the drone and props before you even start up especially if it is coming down fast and on your controller if you are not using a transmitter glove, and as you said in your video your VLOS is greatly decreased.

Chris

Reactions: PhantomFandom
I am not trying to be critical, but I fail to see how these Snow Suits provide any extra thermal protection when flying in extreme cold. I regularly fly my drones in cold weather and have flown frequently in weather as cold as -25ºC (-13ºF) and below without any problems. I have also flown in wet heavy snow like in your video (large flakes) as well as in heavy snowfall

The problem in these conditions is not the battery. The battery will warm up during flight as long as you keep it warm before you put it in the drone. The biggest problems you will have will be the accumulation of snow on the camera lens (like in your video) which basically ruins any picture taking and greatly decreases the quality of any video as it usually sticks to the lens and doesn't come off (been there, done that), and sometimes in very cold weather the gimbal will stick and the camera will not pitch smoothly. Other problems that can occur are accumulation of snow on the drone and props before you even start up especially if it is coming down fast and on your controller if you are not using a transmitter glove, and as you said in your video your VLOS is greatly decreased.

Chris
I totally agree with you sir. The drone electronics will keep themselves warm once the drone is flying. The problem with flying in this sort of weather is that it is irresponsible and potentially dangerous...

Flying at or below freezing with visible moisture (rain, snow, and even fog) leads to icing on the exterior surfaces and this is problematic. Icing on the props can lead to loss of lift and cause the drone to crash. Icing on the gimbal can cause the gimbal to have issues, cause overload error messages, and even damage the gimbal.

Flying in rain, snow, or fog will also reduce visibility. Just a bad idea overall.

Reactions: Starz

Chris
I covered up the Lens on purpose, to see if i could recover and i did .

I could easily manged to keep the lens clear, which i did on the way back.

The Difference between being able to take off in the cold can be just a few degrees so if you can gain 5 to 10 degrees that would be fantastic for those making money with there drone , or those in Search and Rescue or do safety Checks.

VLOS does get decreased , but we have the Rescue Jackets that Increase Visibility to 3000 ft so this helps increase visibility in the heavy snow if needed.

Its easy to get caught in a bubble and forget that there is a whole world out there and there making money with there drone and need to fly rain or shine.

As far as the pitfalls were testing the drones , the weak link is not the drone its the Phones and Ipads that can not hang.

See Video Below:

Last edited:
I totally agree with you sir. The drone electronics will keep themselves warm once the drone is flying. The problem with flying in this sort of weather is that it is irresponsible and potentially dangerous...

Flying at or below freezing with visible moisture (rain, snow, and even fog) leads to icing on the exterior surfaces and this is problematic. Icing on the props can lead to loss of lift and cause the drone to crash. Icing on the gimbal can cause the gimbal to have issues, cause overload error messages, and even damage the gimbal.

Flying in rain, snow, or fog will also reduce visibility. Just a bad idea overall.

We agree if you do not have the tools needed to fly in the Snow it can be a risk.

But if you have the Wet Suit to protect the Battery and Power Button and the Rescue Jacket to increase your VLOS your calculating to minimize risk.

I will let you know when icing takes us down, until than i will keep flying to find those limits with our gear.

Screenshot 09-26-2020 12.41.02.jpg

Phantomrain.org We make the tools for those that need to fly to :
Make money - Saves Lives - Search and Rescue or have a responsibility to fly everyday.

I covered up the Lens on purpose, to see if i could recover and i did .

I could easily manged to keep the lens clear, which i did on the way back.

The Difference between being able to take off in the cold can be just a few degrees so if you can gain 5 to 10 degrees that would be fantastic for those making money with there drone , or those in Search and Rescue or do safety Checks.

VLOS does get decreased , but we have the Rescue Jackets that Increase Visibility to 3000 ft so this helps increase visibility in the heavy snow if needed.

Its easy to get caught in a bubble and forget that there is a whole world out there and there making money with there drone and need to fly rain or shine.

As far as the pitfalls were testing the drones , the weak link is not the drone its the Phones and Ipads that can not hang.

See Video Below:

I am going to disagree with your statements about flying in the cold. As I said, I do it frequently and in very cold weather and have done so in conditions shown in your video. The only reason I can see to fly in heavy wet snow would be for search and rescue ops, because in these conditions there would likely be no choice whether to fly or not and likely the operators (police or SAR) would not be using consumer level drones.

I don't have a Rescue Jacket, but have been out on my snowmobile on a lake in heavy snowfall and have found it hard to see another snowmobile or ice hut at 100m (329ft) so I find it hard to understand how one could see a drone with a Rescue Jacket at just over 900m (3000ft).

Yes, there are people who are making money with their drone and if they are using a Mavic 2 and they are flying in cold weather in the winter, they should be OK since the Mavic 2 is rated to fly in weather as low as -10ºC without any mods. As I mentioned earlier, many of DJI's other drones, although they may not be rated to fly in temps below 0ºC are able to do so as long as you keep the batteries warm before flight.

With regard to phones and tablets, yes they can be a problem. Unlike the batteries in a drone that heat up during flight, the phone/tablet batteries do not and in very cold weather the touch screen will become unresponsive or the device can shut off all together. This is why it is so important to have VLOS in cold weather because you will still have control of the drone via the controller if your device shuts off. If you are outside of VLOS, then you are in a situation that is dangerous and you can risk the loss of your drone since you are essentially flying blind.

Chris

Reactions: PhantomFandom
I am going to disagree with your statements about flying in the cold. As I said, I do it frequently and in very cold weather and have done so in conditions shown in your video. The only reason I can see to fly in heavy wet snow would be for search and rescue ops, because in these conditions there would likely be no choice whether to fly or not and likely the operators (police or SAR) would not be using consumer level drones.

I don't have a Rescue Jacket, but have been out on my snowmobile on a lake in heavy snowfall and have found it hard to see another snowmobile or ice hut at 100m (329ft) so I find it hard to understand how one could see a drone with a Rescue Jacket at just over 900m (3000ft).

Yes, there are people who are making money with their drone and if they are using a Mavic 2 and they are flying in cold weather in the winter, they should be OK since the Mavic 2 is rated to fly in weather as low as -10ºC without any mods. As I mentioned earlier, many of DJI's other drones, although they may not be rated to fly in temps below 0ºC are able to do so as long as you keep the batteries warm before flight.

With regard to phones and tablets, yes they can be a problem. Unlike the batteries in a drone that heat up during flight, the phone/tablet batteries do not and in very cold weather the touch screen will become unresponsive or the device can shut off all together. This is why it is so important to have VLOS in cold weather because you will still have control of the drone via the controller if your device shuts off. If you are outside of VLOS, then you are in a situation that is dangerous and you can risk the loss of your drone since you are essentially flying blind.

Chris

So you agree with everything we already know, and the Wet Suits are there to Enhance and Improve upon the Weak Links of flying in the cold.

You should research the Rescue Jackets as we posted a ton of video on the Visual Line of sight at 3000 ft not in the heavy snow but during the day.

You should posts some videos of your heavy snow flying , we would all love to see those.

We dont recommend flying in the snow or the rain with the iphone or ipad only the smart controller or Pro plus controller. its that simple unless your protected .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain / Snow

Calling those that live and breathe in the Ice age.

We designed a Snow / Wet Suit that has extra thermal protection designed for the Extreme Cold :
Double the thickness of a Standard Wet Suit to increase the Heat of the battery and the drone itself.

Keeps the Battery Warmer, by keeping it covered and providing an air tight seal as well as being much thicker.

Letting the camera get covered in snow.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Snow and Land on Water.

Email me at [email protected] for more information: colors and prices.
I was on the verge of getting the wetsuit, and now this! I'm glad I hadn't gotten around to it yet.

So you agree with everything we already know, and the Wet Suits are there to Enhance and Improve upon the Weak Links of flying in the cold.
Please don't twist what I said. I DO NOT agree with everything YOU already know about flying in cold weather.
You should research the Rescue Jackets as we posted a ton of video on the Visual Line of sight at 3000 ft not in the heavy snow but during the day.
I have no need for a rescue jacket so therefore I don't need to research it.
You should posts some videos of your heavy snow flying , we would all love to see those.
I mostly take photos with my drones but have taken some videos and am taking more lately. If you want to see the photos and videos I have posted (some in heavy snow) you can check over at PhantomPilots/SparkPilots forums. Although, I am out almost daily and take hundreds of photos, I tend not to post much of what I take to the forums.
We dont recommend flying in the snow or the rain with the iphone or ipad only the smart controller or Pro plus controller. its that simple unless your protected .
When I fly in very cold weather and in particular snowy weather, I use a transmitter mitt that completely covers my transmitter and my hands. It helps to keep my hands warmer and out of the wind and when it's snowing, it keeps my transmitter dry. I also always fly within VLOS whether or not I am flying in cold or snowy weather. I do not fly in the rain.

As I said in my previous posts, I disagree with your statements about flying in cold weather and I am not going to go back and forth with you on that so this will be my last post on this topic.

Chris

??‍♂️

• Haha
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters