DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So do you leave blades and gimbal lock when you traveling in vehicle?

gixxerbill

Reactions
Of course you would shipping or air travel but do you do it when you put your mav in your car/truck? I don't I just put the mav in a tight space with a towel or blanket around it to support it. What about ya'll? And do you think I am making an error?

Of course you would shipping or air travel but do you do it when you put your mav in your car/truck? I don't I just put the mav in a tight space with a towel or blanket around it to support it. What about ya'll? And do you think I am making an error?
I always leave the blades on and fold it, I do not worry about the gimbal lock unless I am going into some serious back country.

Reactions: stuart kaynes
I leave blades on all the time apart from updating, and always put the gimbal lock and dome on when not flying.
Yeah, there is something unsettling about having the blades on when updating all the flashing lights and twitching; only did that once.

Reactions: hychewright
I always have my blades on (even updating and calibrating). I always use the gimbal guard and cover transporting, even from site to site, you never know when you will have to stop fast and send the Mavic flying.

I figure for the few seconds it takes to secured the gimble lock and dome on the aircraft it is an ounce of protection; no use having the gimble wrenched lose in transit. I never worry about leaving the props on; can't see where it hurts anything.

I am probably too careful but I put the foam piece over the plastic dome to help keep it from being scratched up.

I think there's more chance of screwing the gimbal up putting the plastic guard on and off all the time. However, I do keep the slotted shade on at all times and it does an excellent job of protecting the gimbal. As far as he props, yep, they stay on all the time. I put a rubber band around the the props to keep them tucked so Mavic slips in the bag easily. I

I am probably too careful but I put the foam piece over the plastic dome to help keep it from being scratched up.
Does yours not have the rubber cap?
DJI-Mavic-Pro-Gimbal-Cover-Rubber-Cover_thumb.jpg

Maybe some confusion here between the plastic bubble and the plastic shipping guard behind the gimbal. The plastic bubble never gets put back on mine, and neither does the shipping guard. Just the shade.

Reactions: greg_g
The worst thing about the gimbal lock for me is in forgetting that it is in place when I goof up and check the battery level and inadvertently turn on the Mavic. As Mr. Mavic said, that is when there is a greater likelihood of messing up the gimbal.

So I keep drilling into my head that it is a mandatory step to remove it. Following the good suggestion of some members I have colored the gimbal lock to sort of jump out at me!

I have built many drones and have had several gimbals . They all should be secured from moving and bouncing around when not powered . The Mavic has the smallest and fragile gimbal of any so far and I would not transport it without the lock in place .

Reactions: Soundtekk
A friend of mine was fumbling around trying to get the gimbal guard off his Mavic before a flight, dropped the mavic and broke his camera. He's still waiting to get it back from the notoriously incompetent DJI repair. That's where I came up with my avatar. LOL

I've never removed the props since the day it arrived, always use the gimbal lock when transporting, in place before it is packed into bag. I have on occasion forgotten the lock in place when updating etc but no harm appears to have been done.

I keep the props on (but double check them before a flight), gimbal guard on as well as cover when stored.

Tip, when folded, I put a rubber band around the body to keep the tips of the props from sticking out past the arms and possibly getting snagged on something and breaking. Also makes it easier to get in the velvet dji bag.

Even transporting my Mavic within a hard case, i leave my props on and the gimbal lock installed.

Props on, except for updates and gimbal lock on, when not using. Sometimes I will transport short distances in my car/truck w/o gimbal lock. No longer use bubble, as I have a custom cut foam block for top of my Mavic while in case.

I think there's more chance of screwing the gimbal up putting the plastic guard on and off all the time. I
I stopped putting on the lock because i was getting gimbal errors from forgetting to take it off before flight.

Reactions: Blades

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent