DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So here is my first video with my new Mavic Air 2

TrevWill

Reactions
Hi All,
Got a drone during lockdown and took delivery a few days after the launch of the New Mavic Air 2. Have just been out and done my first real drone flight video.

This lighthouse is called Whiteford Lighthouse on the Gower Peninsular in South Wales UK. It is only a few miles from where I live. Long walk down to the lighthouse from the car park but very worth the effort.

I am a complete beginner so please be gentle with me LOL

Andy1248

Last edited:
Beautiful area there. I see your in the UK, but where was that specifically?

Did you do the rotation around the lighthouse manually or using the point of interest function? I ask because I noticed some horizon tilt, which is something I’ve been dealing with recently when flying manually. I’m trying to figure out how to avoid it flying manually.

Nice video.

Beautiful area there. I see your in the UK, but where was that specifically?

Did you do the rotation around the lighthouse manually or using the point of interest function? I ask because I noticed some horizon tilt, which is something I’ve been dealing with recently when flying manually. I’m trying to figure out how to avoid it flying manually.

Nice video.
Hi Boxer1200 the area is Whiteford Lighthouse North Gower Swansea South Wales. The Beach is called Whiteford sands. The rotation was done using the point of interest function. I am complete novice and I was nervous enough about being over water and the birds flying close to the drone never mend any horizon tilt LOL

Reactions: KurtpH
Better than my first video Thumbswayup did you panic when those birds zoomed past :eek:
I sure did LOL being over water was nerve racking then the birds that's why its a short video LOL
there were also birds perched on the lighthouse hence I kept my distance, I thought it might spook them if I went closer and then they would fly into the drone..

Reactions: Paulf10
Great job for your first video, because it didn’t look like a first video!

My early videos were full of that ugly yawing, as if I had a GoPro atop my head. You handled the flock of birds like a pro, because I would’ve expected to see some stick jitter or an evasive manuever.

It was well-worth the long walk. Long live your MA2!

Reactions: Paulf10
Great job for your first video, because it didn’t look like a first video!

My early videos were full of that ugly yawing, as if I had a GoPro atop my head. You handled the flock of birds like a pro, because I would’ve expected to see some stick jitter or an evasive manuever.

It was well-worth the long walk. Long live your MA2!
Thanks for the compliments. re the birds I think my reactions were slow due to panic rather than a pro LOL

Reactions: pelagic_one
Nice video, definitely a solid result for your first flight. I'm not so bad now but I used to brick it everytime I put my drone in the air, especially somewhere new.

Reactions: TrevWill
Hi All,
Got a drone during lockdown and took delivery a few days after the launch of the New Mavic Air 2. Have just been out and done my first real drone flight video.

This lighthouse is called Whiteford Lighthouse on the Gower Peninsular in South Wales UK. It is only a few miles from where I live. Long walk down to the lighthouse from the car park but very worth the effort.

Andy1248

Great job for a first time flight and video. Kinda odd place to put a Lighthouse

Beautiful flight and footage! Did you circle the lighthouse yourself or with a "circle" command? Edit: I see you already responded that you used the POI. I need to try that!

Great job for a first time flight and video. Kinda odd place to put a Lighthouse
It a very shallow estuary so it was set up to keep ships ovary from the sandbanks etc been decommissioned many many years

Beautiful flight and footage! Did you circle the lighthouse yourself or with a "circle" command? Edit: I see you already responded that you used the POI. I need to try that!
Yep I thought the POI worked very well. I moved over onto the beach a little later (It was empty ) and tried all of the preset flight manoeuvres great fun

Hi All,

Andy1248

Very nice. Am also a complete 'lockdown novice' MA2 user of only a few weeks. Been trying to find out exactly whether you CAN fly over water and guess your video answers this. Any special provisors to observe?

Did you use a video-Editing feature within the program from Mavic, or some outside program? And if so which one?

Very nice. Am also a complete 'lockdown novice' MA2 user of only a few weeks. Been trying to find out exactly whether you CAN fly over water and guess your video answers this. Any special provisors to observe?
Hi Redvers I use this website to check where I can fly or not fly Where To Fly Your Drone in the UK it shows locations on a map near you and write ups from other drone pilots. "Any Special provisors to observe". I keep my fingers crossed LOL if you look on the map I sent the link for it will show you areas in Pink that are Crown Estate shore line and estuary and the crown grants permission for you fly provided you have the necessary CAA registration and you fly within the CAA rules. Another point is that I took out the insurance with DJI when I bought the drone just in case. Flying over water the just in case could be a complete loss if you have an incident. As you can see from my footage I almost had a flock of birds fly into the drone and that's when the insurance is a great safety net.

Did you use a video-Editing feature within the program from Mavic, or some outside program? And if so which one?
Hi KurtPH I don't use the Mavic app for video editing. I use iMovie which is free with Apple Mac computers. I have used it for a few years and it is relatively easy to use. If I was using windows and not a Mac I would use adobe Premier pro or something like that.

Well done. My first video a few years ago was me flying 30 feet above the wife out in one of our fields, who was spotting for me, whilst both of us being chewed by mosquitoes and black flies.... your start was much more graceful, I still don't like flying over water!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters