DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So...I’m confused. Should I update to the latest firmware?

Dizzy1971

Reactions
I’m a new mavic flyer. I’ve been reading posts from people who seem to have problems after the firmware updates quite often. Should I update when it’s available or not?
Is there any consensus on that? I really really do not want to lose my drone,as it will be cost prohibitive to replace it.

I always update my Mavic firmware after it's known to be stable. By that, I mean I wait a few days after a new release to see if any issues are reported by those people who install firmware updates as soon as they are available.

I tend to read the release notes prior to updating

Never change a running system, il soit que le nouveau est vraiment meilleur ...

Ok. So one person says “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” and aside from that, wait til others find the problems. Is that about right?

Ok. So one person says “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” and aside from that, wait til others find the problems. Is that about right?
Welcome to the world of Forums where everyone has a varying opinion...;)

You will probably get a wide range of opinions regarding updating; ranging from "I have never had problems" to "An update screwed up my system", so I will add to the heap:
  • I do not update because I was burned by one that made my video useless.
  • Like msinger advised, don't rush to upgrade. DJI has a history of releasing buggy software so let others be the beta testers. Make sure the success stories are using the same phone/tablet you are using.
  • Like Anthony advised, read the release notes for the update to see what "features" it brings. You may not need them.
  • If you do decide to update,
    • Try to maintain the ability to roll back
    • Thoroughly test in an open area before you really need it.
  • When you get a system that you are happy with, try to lock it down so it will not change. Turn off auto-updates and run in airplane mode.

You will probably get a wide range of opinions regarding updating; ranging from "I have never had problems" to "An update screwed up my system", so I will add to the heap:
  • I do not update because I was burned by one that made my video useless.
  • Like msinger advised, don't rush to upgrade. DJI has a history of releasing buggy software so let others be the beta testers. Make sure the success stories are using the same phone/tablet you are using.
  • Like Anthony advised, read the release notes for the update to see what "features" it brings. You may not need them.
  • If you do decide to update
  • try to maintain the ability to roll back.Thoroughly test in an open area before you really need it.
  • When you get a system that you are happy with, try to lock it down so it will not change. Turn off auto-updates and run in airplane mode.
Very well said...

One thing that is missing from the above is the ability to do things that DJI prevents you from doing in later FW versions. If you value your freedom to fly/modify your Mavic over newer features, then lower FW versions are better. If you value the newer features over flexibility, then upgrade to the later/latest FW versions.

That’s a really good point. Is there an example of such that you have found? Is there a version you prefer lisadoc? And why .... as a new mavic owner I guess I’m not sure what I could be missing.

And why .... as a new mavic owner I guess I’m not sure what I could be missing.
That's a great question. I'm assuming most Mavic owners have no reason to attempt to circumvent the functionality DJI has designed for the Mavic.

See this thread for more information about what @lisadoc is hinting at.

Another question is I’ve skipped a couple of updates, but have the latest ie .04.0200, So do I miss out on the updates that came with .04.0100 as an example or does updating to the latest one also cover the previous ones? Also I have no issues apparent with this latest update.

Another question is I’ve skipped a couple of updates, but have the latest ie .04.0200, So do I miss out on the updates that came with .04.0100 as an example or does updating to the latest one also cover the previous ones? Also I have no issues apparent with this latest update.
Each update is a new firmware which contains all features and functionality of previous ones unless anything is specifically removed.

Youve not missed anything

Three good reasons to update though are the ability to now do ‘Dronies’ ‘Helix’ & ‘Rocket’ in Quickshot Mode which came out one or two downloads ago. Such awesome features that you would not have access to if you never update & live in the past. [emoji848]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys