DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

so i bought a M2P... there's good news, bad news and lessons learned

buckeye6

Reactions
In a previous thread (newbie question about mavic 2 pro controllers) I really wanted the BT-300 smart glasses but struggled with controller compatibility. I ended up scrapping the BT-300 idea and purchased an M2P with smart controller. I got a bundle deal through amazon.com.

the package arrived in two days without issues. someone advised me to read the books before trying to fly and then read them again several times. this is most certainly wise advice. What he really meant was download the manuals and read them since no such books are included. I spent a day reading and watching YT videos in preparation. the first flight was uneventful but then things got interesting. when faced with a 'good news bad news' situation i prefer the bad news first so here goes:

The Bad News

All of the advertised pieces were in the shipment except for the thing that lets you use a Mavic battery to charge other components. It just wasn't in the FlyMore kit. My truck has a power inverter so the missing component was more of an irritant than a showstopper. The showstopper was the inability of the M2P to show a level horizon. I just could not pan around and have the horizon remain level. I did some research and was pretty much shocked to see how many other people had the same problem. I was mad at myself for having missed this in my pre-purchase due diligence. I tried all of the recommendations; updated the firmware, made sure the gimbal was in FOLLOW mode, calibrated the gimbal, calibrated the IMU, manually adjusted the gimal while in flight to align with the horizon. Nothing produced permanent results. I could align the horizon while pointing in a certain direction but after a single 360 pan the horizon was tilted again. The tilt was pronounced and very distracting. Just about every thread/video i came across concluded that the aircraft in question was defective and should be returned. I contacted the seller and their advice was to contact DJI and have the M2P replaced under warranty and that way I didn't have to return the entire package. That made sense to me.

I called DJI to see about returning the aircraft for a replacement since I was within the 15-day limit. The person I spoke with accused me of making hard landings and made sure I understood that if hard landings had occurred the aircraft would not be replaced and that they had ways to tell if hard landings had occurred. I was guilty until proven innocent. I continue to be very unsatisfied with DJI support about this. I hung up on the guy and returned the entire package to the seller via amazon. I'm currently looking for a different seller. I don't have an issue with the seller but I'm kinda nervous about getting another bad unit since the problem seems so prevalent.

Whatever manuals are included are printed in a 2-point font which requires a magnifying glass. I was surprised that the Quick Start guide is about a quarter-inch think until i realized that the first 3 pages are in english and the rest are in many many different languages.

The Good News

The aircraft flies like a dream... very easy to handle and control. Very stable. I was amazed at how much quieter it was compared to my P3S. The setup was a breeze and you can be flying in just a couple of minutes. The propellers are much easier to install and you don't have to remove them to store the aircraft. The photos and videos I captured are far better than what the P3S can produce, and rightly so. I made a dozen or so flights, almost all of which were to see if I could correct the tilted horizon issue. I was looking forward to exploring the different flight modes and the camera options (aperture, shutter speed, formats) but never quite got the chance.

The aircraft is much easier to transport from gig to gig. It's small when folded which makes for less stuff to lug around.

The batteries for the M2P and the SC seem to last quite a while. I know they last longer than those for the P3S and you can really get more done on a per-flight basis. They also seem to charge faster. Getting the Fly More kit and having 3 batteries is a luxury.

I instantly liked the smart controller and since I'm back to the P3S until I can get another M2P I really miss it. I had no problems seeing it in bright sunlight. To be fair, it has a significant learning curve so like the man said, read the manuals and read them again. I've seen a fair number of complaints about the lack of documentation and I agree with this 100%. The information is available but you really have to dig for it.

Lessons Learned

Don't be in a hurry to buy one; do your homework on both the aircraft and the seller. This is most likely obvious but I sure missed the tilted horizon issue. To be fair I really don't have any issue with the seller.

Allow yourself sufficient time to read the manuals and practice with the different options. I actually wrote a list of what I wanted to accomplish for each flight and forced myself to stick to it.

Keep a record of the time and date when you activate the aircraft for warranty purposes. When I called DJI the person I spoke with cited different 15-day period ending dates during our conversation and told me the period started when the package was received. He demanded that I send him a copy of my invoice as proof. That just stunned me. I received my package on a Tuesday but didn't active the aircraft until the following Saturday when I had time to devote to setup and initial flight.

Conclusion

All things considered, the M2P and SC were the right choice for me. If anyone has any recommendations about sellers to consider or avoid I'm interested in hearing them. I'm ready to get another M2P that I can use productively.

You got it from a dealer through amazon, and the only link to DJI is the name , you should take this up with the dealer. if you brought a car from a dealership , would you expect ford themselves to sor your car out

In a previous thread (newbie question about mavic 2 pro controllers) I really wanted the BT-300 smart glasses but struggled with controller compatibility. I ended up scrapping the BT-300 idea and purchased an M2P with smart controller. I got a bundle deal through amazon.com.

the package arrived in two days without issues. someone advised me to read the books before trying to fly and then read them again several times. this is most certainly wise advice. What he really meant was download the manuals and read them since no such books are included. I spent a day reading and watching YT videos in preparation. the first flight was uneventful but then things got interesting. when faced with a 'good news bad news' situation i prefer the bad news first so here goes:

The Bad News

All of the advertised pieces were in the shipment except for the thing that lets you use a Mavic battery to charge other components. It just wasn't in the FlyMore kit. My truck has a power inverter so the missing component was more of an irritant than a showstopper. The showstopper was the inability of the M2P to show a level horizon. I just could not pan around and have the horizon remain level. I did some research and was pretty much shocked to see how many other people had the same problem. I was mad at myself for having missed this in my pre-purchase due diligence. I tried all of the recommendations; updated the firmware, made sure the gimbal was in FOLLOW mode, calibrated the gimbal, calibrated the IMU, manually adjusted the gimal while in flight to align with the horizon. Nothing produced permanent results. I could align the horizon while pointing in a certain direction but after a single 360 pan the horizon was tilted again. The tilt was pronounced and very distracting. Just about every thread/video i came across concluded that the aircraft in question was defective and should be returned. I contacted the seller and their advice was to contact DJI and have the M2P replaced under warranty and that way I didn't have to return the entire package. That made sense to me.

I called DJI to see about returning the aircraft for a replacement since I was within the 15-day limit. The person I spoke with accused me of making hard landings and made sure I understood that if hard landings had occurred the aircraft would not be replaced and that they had ways to tell if hard landings had occurred. I was guilty until proven innocent. I continue to be very unsatisfied with DJI support about this. I hung up on the guy and returned the entire package to the seller via amazon. I'm currently looking for a different seller. I don't have an issue with the seller but I'm kinda nervous about getting another bad unit since the problem seems so prevalent.

Whatever manuals are included are printed in a 2-point font which requires a magnifying glass. I was surprised that the Quick Start guide is about a quarter-inch think until i realized that the first 3 pages are in english and the rest are in many many different languages.

The Good News

The aircraft flies like a dream... very easy to handle and control. Very stable. I was amazed at how much quieter it was compared to my P3S. The setup was a breeze and you can be flying in just a couple of minutes. The propellers are much easier to install and you don't have to remove them to store the aircraft. The photos and videos I captured are far better than what the P3S can produce, and rightly so. I made a dozen or so flights, almost all of which were to see if I could correct the tilted horizon issue. I was looking forward to exploring the different flight modes and the camera options (aperture, shutter speed, formats) but never quite got the chance.

The aircraft is much easier to transport from gig to gig. It's small when folded which makes for less stuff to lug around.

The batteries for the M2P and the SC seem to last quite a while. I know they last longer than those for the P3S and you can really get more done on a per-flight basis. They also seem to charge faster. Getting the Fly More kit and having 3 batteries is a luxury.

I instantly liked the smart controller and since I'm back to the P3S until I can get another M2P I really miss it. I had no problems seeing it in bright sunlight. To be fair, it has a significant learning curve so like the man said, read the manuals and read them again. I've seen a fair number of complaints about the lack of documentation and I agree with this 100%. The information is available but you really have to dig for it.

Lessons Learned

Don't be in a hurry to buy one; do your homework on both the aircraft and the seller. This is most likely obvious but I sure missed the tilted horizon issue. To be fair I really don't have any issue with the seller.

Allow yourself sufficient time to read the manuals and practice with the different options. I actually wrote a list of what I wanted to accomplish for each flight and forced myself to stick to it.

Keep a record of the time and date when you activate the aircraft for warranty purposes. When I called DJI the person I spoke with cited different 15-day period ending dates during our conversation and told me the period started when the package was received. He demanded that I send him a copy of my invoice as proof. That just stunned me. I received my package on a Tuesday but didn't active the aircraft until the following Saturday when I had time to devote to setup and initial flight.

Conclusion

All things considered, the M2P and SC were the right choice for me. If anyone has any recommendations about sellers to consider or avoid I'm interested in hearing them. I'm ready to get another M2P that I can use productively.
Best buy has worked for me.
Enjoy once you get it,and yes it is an awesome bird.
Bob

You got it from a dealer through amazon, and the only link to DJI is the name , you should take this up with the dealer. if you brought a car from a dealership , would you expect ford themselves to sor your car out

i agree and that's what i've done. i was just surprised by the dji rep's behavior.

Reactions: Bob L
Most complex products like these drones only come with those tiny start up manuals, and yeah, my M1P 3-1/2 years ago had the same thing, can't read it without a decent magnifying glass !!
So most rely on the online manuals, and it's surprising just how many are online with a google search, just about any manual, which is handy.

The M2P camera has occasionally had that horizon gimbal tilt, I guess like all drones, slow steady panning / pitching movements minimises this, but sometimes a gimbal calibration, or manual horizon straighten is required.

Hope you get a good M2P this time, one that isn't so bad with the issue, I'm sure there are lemons and better ones for some reason or another.

If anyone has any recommendations about sellers to consider or avoid I'm interested in hearing them.

Sorry to learn you’re not still flying your first Mavic 2 Pro. By the way, I found a RC1A and the Moverio BT-300 glasses, then sold my RC1B...all through this forum’s Classified section.

Here is a list of the forum’s advertising partners, whom we typically recommend. They often have forum member specials. If you reached out to the DJI dealers from the list via private message, letting them know of a deal you found, maybe they’d meet or beat a deal on your next M2P.

Last edited:
Sorry to learn you’re not still flying your first Mavic 2 Pro. By the way, I found a RC1A and the Moverio BT-300 glasses, then sold my RC1B...all through this forum’s Classified section.

Here is a list of the forum’s advertusing partners, whom we typically recommend. They often have forum member specials. If you reached out to the DJI dealers from the list via private message, letting them know of a deal you found, maybe they’d meet or beat a deal on your next M2P.

very nice! just what i was looking for. thx!

Reactions: JoelS and Bob L
did you take out dji care

no... the horizon problem manifested itself from the very first flight and i spent my available time trying to correct that. I got the little card about doing that in the package but never got to complete that process.

really of course you would go to manufacturer if dealer is not doing right by you and dont forget he did it to save the hassle from sending everything back. they built it assuming it was brand new which i wonder about cause of DJI support asked about hard landings

i think you still can do dji care , after 48 hrs
these are the conditions

you just have to prove theres nothing wrong with the drone

The Bad News

The Good News

Lessons Learned

Conclusion

You did the right thing by sending it back to Amazon. First stop us always the seller. One of the reasons I did not get a MMini, was the amount of issues needing to be sorted.
Good luck with whatever you get next time.

are you sure sellar didnt use it.....hard landings....and myself i buy something new and seller isnt helping i am going to manufacturer

i have no reason to believe the unit was previously used and i know for sure i didn't make any hard landings. i believe the dji agent i spoke with was at the end of a long day and just didn't want to deal with it. as i said before, i have no issues with the seller. i am concerned that maybe they got a batch of bad aircraft so i want to get my next one from someone else, just to minimize the odds.

After buying a Mavic Minnie and realizing the 2"x3"" four page instruction manual" had to be one of the stupidest ideas any manufacturer ever released.... I found the manual on line and not only down loaded it but printed it out... So, when I ordered the M2P... I did that right away. I really like both drones and have had no real problems with either... but DJI really needs to do some soul searching on how they operate.... they make a great product but their support is pretty lame and who ever their lawyers are that come up with all these disclaimers on line are being paid way too much.

i have no reason to believe the unit was previously used and i know for sure i didn't make any hard landings. i believe the dji agent i spoke with was at the end of a long day and just didn't want to deal with it. as i said before, i have no issues with the seller. i am concerned that maybe they got a batch of bad aircraft so i want to get my next one from someone else, just to minimize the odds.
i'm not sure but I think DJI get all previous flight information so that people can try to lie about something not saying that you're lying but it wouldn't be a possibility that the seller knew about this and just try to pawn it off on someone else just an opinion

I live in tx, here we have hobbytown shops that sell Mavic2pro and you can test first,so if where you live have any place like this you can fly first and test equipment

Here is a list of the forum’s advertising partners, whom we typically recommend. They often have forum member specials. If you reached out to the DJI dealers from the list via private message, letting them know of a deal you found, maybe they’d meet or beat a deal on your next M2P.

Wish you would have seen my video before you got the Smart Controller

no... the horizon problem manifested itself from the very first flight and i spent my available time trying to correct that. I got the little card about doing that in the package but never got to complete that process.
i had a slight hint of this problem, but it was more or less solved by re-calibrating the gimbal on the ground and then applying a permanent offset of +3, i think, to keep it level. it did not tilt much after that. i am aware that some people do have this issue constantly. not sure why - i do not think anybody knows.

that problem btw did not appear on my M2Z at all, ever, and on the M2P it appeared after quite a while. interesting to hear that DJI now has a new term for shaking off complaints - 'hard landing'. next will be a 'hard hand catching', i guess. it is their model of customer support - they aim for sales numbers only.

Wish you would have seen my video before you got the Smart Controller
i got my M2P in a bundle with a usual controller, it was a while ago and it was shipped with 1B controller version. i could never find where to get 1A one separately.
with smart controller it is easier to use its HDMI out to feed it into anything else.

Reactions: Recoveryone

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun