DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So I made a dumbo mistake (gimbal guard)

DrizzyDrones

Reactions
So i Dont tend to take much when I am flying I don’t even use my case I used to Use the Prop guards that are silicone and hold the props stacked straight across but the mixed opinions and with slow shipping and still waiting for more props to come I don’t even use them I have a plexiglass display box so I have been just leaving it unfolded on a shelf and putting the box over it I leave everything together phone in controller sticks left on anyway i went for a flight cpl days ago and took gimbal guard off and put it in my pocket its the only thing I have to do to be ready to go was testing litchi beta and track mode the pocket I put it in are designed by the same kinda people who changed the automobile and decided to remove the oil dipstick and top up cap anyway the pockets are the worst pockets around mean u cant put anything in em unless u plan to stand in one spot sit down and its falling out so usally I don’t move around too much when flying testing track I moved around and when i was back to regular flying I started walking back to homepoint As a car was pulling in to turn around *CRUNCH*? look down and the **** guard is mangled it wasn’t In peices just mushed out of shape guess it fell out of my “pocket “ I am going to order one but the waiting is long I have a cpl sets of props on the way from dji and they have been in la for weeks .. any ideas what I could use in mean time

So i Dont tend to take much when I am flying I don’t even use my case I used to Use the Prop guards that are silicone and hold the props stacked straight across but the mixed opinions and with slow shipping and still waiting for more props to come I don’t even use them I have a plexiglass display box so I have been just leaving it unfolded on a shelf and putting the box over it I leave everything together phone in controller sticks left on anyway i went for a flight cpl days ago and took gimbal guard off and put it in my pocket its the only thing I have to do to be ready to go was testing litchi beta and track mode the pocket I put it in are designed by the same kinda people who changed the automobile and decided to remove the oil dipstick and top up cap anyway the pockets are the worst pockets around mean u cant put anything in em unless u plan to stand in one spot sit down and its falling out so usally I don’t move around too much when flying testing track I moved around and when i was back to regular flying I started walking back to homepoint As a car was pulling in to turn around *CRUNCH*? look down and the **** guard is mangled it wasn’t In peices just mushed out of shape guess it fell out of my “pocket “ I am going to order one but the waiting is long I have a cpl sets of props on the way from dji and they have been in la for weeks .. any ideas what I could use in mean time

So I hate to say this as it is not meant to be rude. But for now just some common sense and think first. Slow down and think about what you are doing and be extra careful until you can get another replacement. I don't know of anything that fits just perfect like the gimbal cover so I'm not so much help. Putting any type of additional stress on the gimbal/camera would not be beneficial.

Careful... ??

Reactions: Robyhe
With no cover Murphy's Law dictates that something odd will happen, it's inevitable, unless I am just ham fisted.
I'd suggest a close fitting box to encompass the Mini, at a guess the original box might do or making one from a cereal packet. In the latter case perhaps a double layer of cardboard in the area of the gimbal and certainly use it whilst out and about. Better that than damage.
I would suggest that when the new one arrives you develop the habit of putting the cover somewhere safe as soon as it comes off the drone. In my case that is straight into the drone's well in the flymore case. Prior to developing that habit I tended to set it one the case lid and it was blown off/away several times

Lol im always careful Stuff happens just wondering if there is any risks to no cover when its just sitting on shelf
I keep mine on a shelf to and I never ever put a a gimbal guard - no issues

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not covered mine in a year and a half with no problems. Could something happen, sure, but something can always happen, you could drop it while calibrating but that hasn't happened either.
Just be aware and careful with an expensive instrument.

We all make mistakes, we are all human. The problem as I see it is transportation, when the gimbal would be shaken around with risk of severe damage. The gimbal cover prevents this. No expert so personally would probably wait to fly again. If desperate I would consider a sharp pair of scissors and cut a bit of soft sponge gently inserted to keep it stable . ?

So I hate to say this as it is not meant to be rude. But for now just some common sense and think first. Slow down and think about what you are doing and be extra careful until you can get another replacement. I don't know of anything that fits just perfect like the gimbal cover so I'm not so much help. Putting any type of additional stress on the gimbal/camera would not be beneficial.

Careful... ??
Totally agree. There is nothing you could temporarily use to protect your gimbal. Like to comment “Slow down” “Think”
You own a fairly expensive peace of equipment, look after it and it’ll look after you.

check out Ebay. I got a far superior to the original gimbal guard for my Mavic Air one at a very good price. Shipping from China is rather slow :(
I feel for you..that's one thing that I'm very careful with as I'm sure you are.

Buy 2 of the covers is my suggestion. I lost my first one somewhere so I ordered two giving me a backup if it ever happens again.....

Only put the Gimbal guard on when transporting in my back pack from one location to another.
And, have the plastic doom painted Red, which lets me know that I have the Gimbal guard on to protect it from sudden unexpected things that may happen. Like dropping my back pack, on the cement, or a person can bump my pack. Prepare for then unexpected.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000