DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So much for that

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwbob

Reactions
I guess I can fly at home anymore. I live out in the country in a gated community and figured I'd be of flying locally. Guess not! Neighbor across the street came over and basically said "stop spying on us" because I fly over their house at high altitudes. Claimed he's shot it down if it came over the house again! No use explaining that at altitude I can't see anything but terrain and if people are out, they're just a dot! So I guess with no one understanding drones aren't spying on them, I have to go farther out in the country :rolleyes:

what you could do is show him some video of his property so he can see you are not spying on him
as you live in a gated community it would be a good idea to check if there are any rules with regards to flying your drone from your property
also go around the community and ask if they mind you flying

You need to check on CA state law. In Nevada, for example, HOA's cannot prohibit UAV flight so long as it is above 250' AGL, nor can they prevent flight below that level if conducted by a licensed operator to take real estate pics. Flying below 250' over private property can be trespass, but only after the property is overflown at a lower altitude and the property owner notifies the drone operator or owner, in writing, that he is to no longer do that. If a second flight over that property occurs, that constitutes a trespass.

what you could do is show him some video of his property so he can see you are not spying on him
as you live in a gated community it would be a good idea to check if there are any rules with regards to flying your drone from your property
also go around the community and ask if they mind you flying

There was no discussion options with this guy. He was not in the least bit open to any discussion and best course of action was to say "OK, I won't fly over your house" and just forget about flying at home. I'm VP of our HOA and there are only 19 homes.

That sucks, I feel for you.:(

Find out what the laws and local regulations are and if you have the right to fly there don't forfeit those rights to someone that doesn't know the laws and regulations. If you do have the right to fly there if he questions you again educate him. You might find out what the laws are regarding the illegal discharging of a weapon.

Find out what the laws and local regulations are and if you have the right to fly there don't forfeit those rights to someone that doesn't know the laws and regulations. If you do have the right to fly there if he questions you again educate him. You might find out what the laws are regarding the illegal discharging of a weapon.

Well when the neighbor says he's going to get out his gun and blow it out of the sky, he's beyond reasoning with. Luckily literally around the corner is miles of nothing but rolling hills! I shot this sitting in my courtyard, but I have to fly over some houses and not looking for any more confrontations. IMG_6210 (002).PNG

Agree with not overflying this person’s home. Hopefully you informed him that while you’d comply, shooting down a drone is considered shooting down an aircraft.
I think you could continue to fly from home at altitudes discussed above... of course, your call.

If you live in a gated community, you don't live 'out in the country'. :)

Definitely in the country with 19 homes and no other developments for miles. I'm on the wine trail and all stocked up sheltering in place ;)

Reactions: Gindra
Definitely in the country with 19 homes and no other developments for miles.
But you have 18 immediate neighbors, at least one of which is telling you how to live your life. And also an HOA to tell you what to do.

To me, that just doesn't fit the 'out in the country' description.

My closest neighbor is 1/2 mile in one direction and one mile in the other, with thousands of acres of woods and farmland all around.

I fly from my backyard or the pasture next to my 10 acre wooded property whenever I feel like it... no hassles... that's my definition of out in the country.

Hope you get your irate neighbor(s) problem solved amicably, and soon.

If you're VP, does that not give you the clout to educate or make him listen in an adult manner and show him footage?
I'm not saying force him, but by the sounds of it you have some standing in your community yet this guy is just able to threaten shooting your craft out of the sky?!!
With only 19 homes, surely everyone knows you so a quick chat with everyone or a letter may help your cause?

I'm a UK guy so not hot on firearms laws n stuff over there, but he doesn't sound like the kinda person I'd like living near! Maybe once he's calmed down, he might be open to talking?

As the VP of the HOA don't you have a legal responsibility to stop a member of the HOA from threatening another member's property.

I would remind this idiot of Newton's theory if you shoot it up it's gonna come down and his odds of hitting someone/something on the ground are a lot better than hitting a moving drone several hundred feet in the air

Reactions: Thomas B
Claimed he's shot it down if it came over the house again.

Next time just laugh in his face if he comes out with another dumb sentence like that. What a tosser! Unless he is a militarily trained sniper he will have no chance in hell of shooting a small moving drone out of the sky. No one would. Just a plain ( Mod Removed Langage) even saying it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As the VP of the HOA don't you have a legal responsibility to stop a member of the HOA from threatening another member's property.

I would remind this idiot of Newton's theory if you shoot it up it's gonna come down and his odds of hitting someone/something on the ground are a lot better than hitting a moving drone several hundred feet in the air
Myth busters tested the impact of a falling bullet after being shot up in the air. Impact was minimal since it starts tumbling, creating drag.

But don't tell the neighbor that! :)

A couple of years ago several people died in Miami from falling bullets from New Years Eve partyers celebrating by shooting in the air

Personally I would’ve just looked at him and told him remember with the action comes a reaction and I can promise you you won’t like it. Then again if he was my neighbor for any length of time he would’ve known not to even come over there with that garbage.

Homes in our development are all on landscaped 1 archer lots. I felt like telling him Google Earth can see more than my drone, but in his state of mind, discussion was not an option. Best just head around the corner where there's no homes. Even the Mini makes too much noise for people to ignore!

There was a guy that shot at a drone about 40 miles from where I live. He was arrested and charged with the illegal discharge of a weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU