DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So Right.

eaglesurfing

eaglesurfing
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I listened to the ones who said that the iPad Mini 5 was the way to go.
But got so frustrated with all of the different mounts and then trying to get the right cord that I gave up for awhile.
Then I came across the guy who made one out of two hooks for 5 bucks.
I modify it to fit better and it turned out great.
IMG_20200706_194331.jpgIMG_20200706_192744.jpg

Last edited:
I cut the over hang off and ground some groves in it to make it tight up to cross member but behind the hook. Plus put a wrap of vinyl tape around it.
IMG_20200706_192440.jpgIMG_20200706_192512.jpgIMG_20200706_192717.jpg

Hows the brightness on the mini 5?

I don’t want to speak for the OP, but I’ve been very happy with the iPad mini 5. It’s been a *lot* easier to see the airspeed/altitude than my iPhone, and with a PGYTech tablet mount it doesn’t feel nearly as top-heavy as my attempt at the “S-hook” solution.

I have a right-angle cable en route to fix the sticky-outie connector.

Attachments

• D1BE5D64-6AFA-4586-A419-179B0A16B67F.jpeg
    D1BE5D64-6AFA-4586-A419-179B0A16B67F.jpeg
    982.7 KB · Views: 51
Hows the brightness on the mini 5?
I have not tried it during the brightest part of the day yet because of it being so hot. I did test it around 5:30 pm and in the shade. It looked great. Then I checked it to see it was set below 1/3 so I have an option to turn it up a lot.

I don’t want to speak for the OP, but I’ve been very happy with the iPad mini 5. It’s been a *lot* easier to see the airspeed/altitude than my iPhone, and with a PGYTech tablet mount it doesn’t feel nearly as top-heavy as my attempt at the “S-hook” solution.

I have a right-angle cable en route to fix the sticky-outie connector.
The PGYTECH tablet holder is by far the best solution, IMHO. A properly balanced setup! Thumbswayup I also use a very similar type tablet mount on my Mavic 2 RC. Having the tablet suspended over the top of the RC avoids any stress on the delicate aluminum antenna tubes, which is a likely point of failure with the other designs, since they were never designed for anything heavier than a phone that fits flat in the gap between the spring-loaded antenna and the body of the RC.

Last edited:
Reactions: iaincaradoc
Is a cellular abled iPad mini/ipad basic necessary, or can I get away with a wifi only iPad? If not, would connecting the iPad to my iPhone's hot spot feature work, instead?

...or use a nearby hotspot, with wifi enabled. I do this with my cellular-enabled iPad to my iPhone, because I don't want to pay to add the iPad to my plan at the moment. Works fine.

Reactions: kitsap2
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji