DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So some cops approached me today...

jarettp

Reactions
To tell me how cool my Mavic was!! I almost **** myself initially. I'm flying from the roof of my apartment's parking garage carefully piloting my mavic above some powerlines trying to capture the sunset when I hear a voice to my left, "So how far can you fly that thing?". I look over and see two cops looking at me. Every cop horror story with drones immediately rushed to me. My immediate response was "I've never actually tested it" (lying). They weren't about to catch me slipping lol. They asked me how high it was currently and looking down at my controller I tell them 176 feet from where we're standing. They both immediately respond with "Whoaaaa! Nice!". It was at this point that I realize that they weren't there for me. So I told em that the theoretical distance is over 4 miles. They almost **** a brick upon hearing that. They then went on to tell me they were there because of a report of some kids partying on the garage. Funny enough, I saw those kids leaving when I got up there. This just goes to show you that not all cops have a problem with people flying their drones. And they clearly aren't being forced into drone law training classes.

Once they left, I proceeded to continue on with what I was doing and took this great bit of video. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Most are just like you and I. They do get a crappy look at the underbelly of society. And none of them are particularly impressed with a one finger salute as my son calls it. He left the cop shop for the fire department. Glad you had a good experience with them, And with you being civil they may just look a little differently at other flyers. Good on ya.

Reactions: metamatic and gmc74
Yeah, we even fly our own sometimes

Reactions: FatherXmas
To tell me how cool my Mavic was!! I almost **** myself initially. I'm flying from the roof of my apartment's parking garage carefully piloting my mavic above some powerlines trying to capture the sunset when I hear a voice to my left, "So how far can you fly that thing?". I look over and see two cops looking at me. Every cop horror story with drones immediately rushed to me. My immediate response was "I've never actually tested it" (lying). They weren't about to catch me slipping lol. They asked me how high it was currently and looking down at my controller I tell them 176 feet from where we're standing. They both immediately respond with "Whoaaaa! Nice!". It was at this point that I realize that they weren't there for me. So I told em that the theoretical distance is over 4 miles. They almost **** a brick upon hearing that. They then went on to tell me they were there because of a report of some kids partying on the garage. Funny enough, I saw those kids leaving when I got up there. This just goes to show you that not all cops have a problem with people flying their drones. And they clearly aren't being forced into drone law training classes.

Once they left, I proceeded to continue on with what I was doing and took this great bit of video. Enjoy!

Colours are just amazing! Good job buddy!

NIce but illegal flying. It is videos like this on YouTube that the FAA is looking for to shut us down.
If you're going to do it, perhaps try at 3 am when very few people are around and secondly please do NOT post on social media and Youtube for obvious reasons!

Reactions: Slayerstwin
Total noob when it comes to post filters. How did you apply the tilt shift? Is that a setting I missed in the Mavic, or did you add that in post? Must agree that it makes the mall look like a model set. A couple years back, that was all the rage in TV advertising. Not only did it give it a model appearance, but they also tweaked the frame rate so that everything looked like stop-motion photography. Very cool stuff!

What mall is this? It looks like Wiregrass in the Tampa area, but I'm guessing it's not since I don't see any palm trees...

ETA: Here's one specifically I was thinking about...

Reactions: dholy1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett