DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So what is considered the Best Firmware to stay at?

Kate

Reactions
I just got a Chinese stock Mavic (most are), but I could tell by the manuals, etc it was one from the early rollout.
Am so scared of updating DJI GO 4.0, lest i brick, or make a prick of my new drone.

That said, I remember a few revisions added things without screwing "more" things up.
This is where i tell you my firmware, bit im not at home, and need to connect
Unless it's in a folder on the phone somewhere?

What firmware is best? That's a personal choice of (what restrictions VS what features you prefer).
My mavic does not still use all of the OEM settings. So after reading and collecting all of DJI's firmware "release notes "(aka change logs).
I settled on v700 as the firmware that gave me the best of both worlds.
My mavic came with 400 installed, I updated to 800 and now it's happy at 700.

Reactions: Freebird32
I saw someone put 700 as the best, but I think that 400 is the best. With my testing of 700, I noted the following few anomalies:

1. The gimbal whigged out on me like it was straining but this only happened a couple times and was fairly rare. I'm sure if it was allowed to continue, it would burn out the brushless motors.
2. After 400, I believe they they added another data channel that can be used to intercept drone information by a 3rd party while flying. This has resulted in reduced bandwidth for your remote from the drone and subsequently resulted in reduced range. I have far better link to the aircraft with 400 over 700 and with 700, it was the only time I had a low data connection warning with the aircraft flying in the same spot I fly 400 without issue all the time.
3. They added all the NFZ garbage after 400 that has led to the drone refusing to take off saying it is in a NFZ until it gets a solid GPS lock. This has resulted in at least one drone crashing into the ocean after the app crashed. 400 doesn't have this garbage. This is not as much an issue anymore after you figure out how to mod the firmware, but still an issue if you don't.
4. The horizon tilt on 700 that needs to be corrected for in app is not present on 400. This horizon tilt gets worse if you go to portrait mode. 400 has no issues with either mode.

Some positives of 400:
1. It is noticeably faster in response.
2. I believe its top speed is faster than later revs.
3. Braking is much improved.
All of these are not such a big deal after you figure out how to mod your firmware.

One negative of 400:
1. It will slide a bit to the right when coming to a hover from speed. Not a big deal, but plan a bit for it. I don't think 700 did this to me.

Reactions: Robbyg and Kate
Each update has new features (which you many not need) and restrictions (such as the NFZ changes) that you may not like. I am a software engineer so I know that we also get bug fixes with each release. I also have goggles and wanted some of the latest features. For me, I have always used the latest on everything. Note upgrading DJI Go4 should not pose a risk of bricking your Mavic. A firmware update could potentially do that but I'd expect DJI to cover you on that.

Reactions: phoenix3 and WAXMAN
I saw someone put 700 as the best, but I think that 400 is the best. With my testing of 700, I noted the following few anomalies:

1. The gimbal whigged out on me like it was straining but this only happened a couple times and was fairly rare. I'm sure if it was allowed to continue, it would burn out the brushless motors.
2. After 400, I believe they they added another data channel that can be used to intercept drone information by a 3rd party while flying. This has resulted in reduced bandwidth for your remote from the drone and subsequently resulted in reduced range. I have far better link to the aircraft with 400 over 700 and with 700, it was the only time I had a low data connection warning with the aircraft flying in the same spot I fly 400 without issue all the time.
3. They added all the NFZ garbage after 400 that has led to the drone refusing to take off saying it is in a NFZ until it gets a solid GPS lock. This has resulted in at least one drone crashing into the ocean after the app crashed. 400 doesn't have this garbage. This is not as much an issue anymore after you figure out how to mod the firmware, but still an issue if you don't.
4. The horizon tilt on 700 that needs to be corrected for in app is not present on 400. This horizon tilt gets worse if you go to portrait mode. 400 has no issues with either mode.

Some positives of 400:
1. It is noticeably faster in response.
2. I believe its top speed is faster than later revs.
3. Braking is much improved.
All of these are not such a big deal after you figure out how to mod your firmware.

One negative of 400:
1. It will slide a bit to the right when coming to a hover from speed. Not a big deal, but plan a bit for it. I don't think 700 did this to me.

I had some horizon issues whilst sliding with my last MP (It was up to date except for the kybosh NFZ change).
I know all Mav's do this somewhat, but this was really pronounced. You had to slide back to correct it.

Anyway I might work out how to Rollback/mod my firmware as you say, and then experiment

Thanks all for the Help :)

If you just want to fly and take good video then .400 is IMHO the best.

Rob

I liked 400 the best too. Everything seemed to work smoother, it flew smoother, hovered much smoother, and in general it worked like a dream. I started getting some video feed lag, some hover wander and exaggerated braking distances when I moved up in FW. This was just my experience with the functional side of 400 vs others that followed.

I liked 400 the best too. Everything seemed to work smoother, it flew smoother, hovered much smoother, and in general it worked like a dream. I started getting some video feed lag, some hover wander and exaggerated braking distances when I moved up in FW. This was just my experience with the functional side of 400 vs others that followed.
This... It worked like it was advertised on the box. The later firmwares just added BS. I guess airplane mode was one that was interesting, but I think I used it only a couple times because my props always got in the shot destroying the suspension of belief for those that you were doing the video for.

I should also mention airplane mode controls were backwards. You pushed to gain height and pulled to lose height. This is completely annoying to anyone who deals with real aircraft.

If I roll back to .400, do I have to worry about what version my RC is running or what version of iPhone/PC app I'm using too?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reactions: phoenix3
FW 0400 Rules!!!, The best so far in 2017.
Goggles on 0700. IOS Go 4 App 4.07. Don't need anything else!:cool:

Reverted my new Mavic back to .700 (from factory .800) then installed GO 4.0.6 and it allowed me to start engines without "aircraft activation", while few hours earlier - app GO 4.1.3 insisted to "actvate aircraft" before I was able to start engines. Even without DJI GO app, solely on remote, it didn't spin engines. However, I couldn't pass activation process through Dji GO apk 4.1.3 as it was constantly reverting back to previous page/screen. So I've installed GO 4.0.6 instead and it worked (with no props attached).

Is that normal? Shall I fly with no worries? What if my aircraft decides in mid-air that it is not activated, and shut engines down...???

How to check - beside using DJI GO 4 apk - if DJI has registered my Mavic as activated?

PS. Previously I was flying P2V+ with no problems and no "activation". I used DJI GO as well as Litchi with no all this hassle :/

Any advice? I am so eager to fly my Mavic ;)

Last edited:
Like most questions of this sort, "your mileage may vary". I have had good results, with the latest features and bug fixes by always staying on the latest firmware (I have both a Mavic and the Goggles) and DJI Go4. Others don't like the NFZ stuff which was enforced in more recent upgrades and every time a firmware update comes out there are claims that it causes issues. A lot of these can't be reproduced and are possibly not actually due to the firmware at all. I am a software developer professionally for several decades and I see this with my own releases. (i.e., Because I install new software and notice a problem after the upgrade, it is not always due to the software upgrade.)

I would stick with windows 95, but make sure you have the latest props.
Software updates aren't as cool as hardware updates. (sarcasm of course) :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya