DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Software for pure 2D aerial map without 3D distortion?

Lady Rover

Reactions
Hi,

I am looking for a software which stitches automatically a pure 2 dimensional map image from about 300 top down aerial images (with GPS coordinates).

The trouble I ran into with the likes of PrecisionMapper, Drone Deploy, MapsMadeEasy and so on, is that they all try to create a 3D image and than safe a 2D representation thereof as georeferenced tif.
As I do not take angular shots (I only need a 2D map) my shots are all top down.

So when the 3D model is calculated first I get ugly edges around objects with a large vertical edge. This happens when the software tries to blend between the different vertical points.

This is also the reason why the trees look ugly from above. See attached image below.

Now, if the program would instead just align (and correct) the images on the same plane I could get rid of this.

Anyone knows of a low cost solution to this?

Thanks! IMG_20181115_165444.jpeg

Just for stitching you can use Image Composite editor(ICE) but it won't be perfect.

For true orthophoto it needs to be made from 3D otherwise it needs too much overlap to not have slanted buildings. If you have a dataset then I could run it through ContextCapture for comparison.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka