Get more from your Mavic
The largest Mavic community in the world
Join Us Now

[SOLD]: Flying Mavic Air for Repair or Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex_w_5143

Reaction score
Good project for someone who knows what they're doing with these things, but I have neither the time nor motivation to dig into trying to fix it.

The good:
  • Drone flies well. I attached the maximum 10 pictures here and have a Google drive folder I will share with anyone interested that includes extra pictures, screenshots of errors, and close up videos of it flying and hovering.
  • Includes propellers
  • Includes battery (Mfg. 1/2018, 21 charge cycles)
  • All ESCs work like new
  • Chassis in perfect shape
  • Outer plastics in good shape, very light scuffs
  • All LEDs, sounds, cooling fan still work like new

The bad:
  • The gimbal is still stabilized but thinks its home position is down and to the right. "Camera Error (code3)" appears upon startup and shortly after "Gimbal Motor Overloaded" appears. I have tried calibration (hangs at 10%), refreshing firmware, etc. with no luck.
  • Forward right vision sensor hardware malfunction
  • Downward vision sensor calibration error. Intermittently this appears for the rear as well. Since the forward sensor is bad and the forward sensors are the first to get calibrated using DJI Assistant, it cannot be calibrated using DJI Assistant currently. I actually haven't tried it with the app.
  • Inner plastic is cracked but still functional (it was taken from a different drone that was crashed). Sometimes the SD/USB dust port cover comes open because of this, not a big issue.
  • Missing a few screws internally, but all components are still secure
The back story:
  • I was on vacation in Cape Town and clipped a tree with my original Mavic. Bought this one from a DJI store technician I had met while there who did work on the side. It had the gimbal problem when I got it but I didn't really care since I just needed the inner plastic and both vision sensor assemblies. So I swapped those and now selling the donor. Drone for sale only, I don't have an extra remote.

I am asking $400 obo and I will ship within the U.S. for free. Payment will be handled through Paypal or Venmo.Please respond to this thread, email [email protected], or call/text me at 717-650-8781 if you are interested. Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

PhantomFandom

Reaction score
What happened to it that caused the problems? Why is it in a shell that is not the original one? Where are you located? You did not mention the remote controller in the description or show it in the pictures.

I have repaired a few and would take it on, but $400 is too high for one that may require major parts replacements. A new gimbal assembly itself is easily $200. Forward vision assembly at least $45. Down and rear vision assembly about $110. So if all those parts need to be replaced you can see how this turns into an expensive repair.

alex_w_5143

Reaction score
The back story: I was on vacation in Cape Town and clipped a tree with my original Mavic. Bought this one from a DJI store technician I had met while there who did work on the side. It had the gimbal problem when I got it but I didn't really care since I just needed the inner plastic and both vision sensor assemblies. So I swapped those and now selling the donor. Drone for sale only, I don't have an extra remote.

Treesnake

Reaction score
keep the battery and props, id offer $100. interested in stripping it down and seeing how its all built that about it

Detritalgeo

Reaction score
The main processor board likely needs to be re-flashed to talk properly to the gimbal (which I assume was not the original).

$400 if a little too high for me too, so perhaps you can find a dji authorized shop to check if a flashing is all that is required. Both Vision assemblies plus top cover is over $100 and a new condition drone-only deal can be had for ~500 on ebay these days unfortunately.

Cheers,

Last edited:

alex_w_5143

Reaction score
The main processor board likely needs to be re-flashed to talk properly to the global (which I assume was not the original).

$400 if a little too high for me too, so perhaps you can find a dji authorized shop to check if a flashing is all that is required. Both Vision assemblies plus top cover is over $100 and a new condition drone-only deal can be had for ~500 on ebay these days unfortunately.

Cheers,
I think all your points are logical. I am not sure if the gimbal is original or not. 400 was a starting number I threw out, if you’re interested make an offer.

PhantomFandom

Reaction score
I think all your points are logical. I am not sure if the gimbal is original or not. 400 was a starting number I threw out, if you’re interested make an offer.
He did make an offer, and I think it was quite a generous offer based on what is wrong with the MA. As mentioned, you can get a fully functional used MA (with remote) for a little more than what you're asking
With all the parts that will need replacement, it's a good offer.

alex_w_5143

Reaction score
He did make an offer, and I think it was quite a generous offer based on what is wrong with the MA. As mentioned, you can get a fully functional used MA (with remote) for a little more than what you're asking
With all the parts that will need replacement, it's a good offer.
I must have missed the offer @Detritalgeo , was it a full price offer if a DJI technician diagnoses a board reflash?

PhantomFandom

Reaction score

Detritalgeo

Reaction score
Well, if the motors, power board and core processor board are all fine then $100 may be a little low... I am sure someone will need the parts and grab this for a reasonable price. I could do $280 assuming I will possibly need a new gimbal ($240), forward Vision ($20) and rear vision ($60) and a misc. screw / gasket kit ($10). Of course that would require shipping north, which I would cover.

PhantomFandom

Reaction score
Well, if the motors, power board and core processor board are all fine then $100 may be a little low... I am sure someone will need the parts and grab this for a reasonable price. I could do $280 assuming I will possibly need a new gimbal ($240), forward Vision ($20) and rear vision ($60) and a misc. screw / gasket kit ($10). Of course that would require shipping north, which I would cover.
I think you are being quite generous. Only my opinion. Starting at $280 and purchasing all those components for repair gets you up to $510 plus shipping. That still leaves you with a scratched up chassis, and NO remote controller or charger. Add those to have a fully functional system and you are over $700, plus the time and effort to do the repair work.
Compare that to a BRAND NEW MA for around $725 to $800 or a refurbished (with full warranty) for $640. I am just not seeing the value in this damaged MA at anything over $100.

Detritalgeo

Reaction score
Good point, but to be fair to Seller, a replacement core board is ~200-250 on the open market and new motor-arms go for $25-35 a pop.. And then battery.

The least expensive option I have seen for a replacement MA (without battery or any accessories) is $510 on Ebay.

PhantomFandom

Reaction score
Good point, but to be fair to Seller, a replacement core board is ~200-250 on the open market and new motor-arms go for $25-35 a pop.. And then battery.

The least expensive option I have seen for a replacement MA (without battery or any accessories) is $510 on Ebay.
You're a good man.

I look at it in terms of value to the buyer in order to get a functional product. Selling a non-working drone, one cannot expect to get full component price values for every working component. That works the same way in various industries. The whole is actually worth less than the sum of its parts. If you tried to build a MA from scratch by buying each component separately it would cost a fortune. Same goes with a car for instance. So if you buy a car with a blown engine, you don't add up the cost of all the good parts to come up with a fair value. You look at how much a new engine will cost and then make an offer so that replacing the engine doesn't cost you more than buying a new car.

If you're willing to pay $280 for it then my humble opinion is that he should jump at it.

stberlin

Reaction score
you're missing the fastener to hold the lower and rear sensor cables in place. also, only one of the sensors are broken, you can find out if swap those parts on a working drone. if they all work fine, then it's the power or main board that needs to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All E RC Mavic Drones

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IslandInTheSky