DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Solder for Leg replacement

Mtlgold

Reactions
Hi , having both legs of right side of my mavic pro broken after hard landing, i ordered 2 news leg to fix my Drone. I usually dont have problem with soldering, but it look like i cannot heat the solder enough to remove the old solder of the broken arms from the board. is there a trick or something special needed to remove the old solder and solder the new part to the board ? Thanks for helping me and sorry for my bad english

Get your iron tip hot, and then place a small amount solder onto the tip. This way, you can actually transfer the heat from the tip to the cold solder joint.
Practice on some junk wiring on the "old Sunbeam" before you work on your AC...

Also, look on you tube for the basics, and again, practice on junk wires etc. before you touch your bird.

@Mtlgold You may also want to think about getting a soldering iron made for electronics that has a fine tip.
I have no affiliation or experience with the company but HERE is a link to that type of soldering iron.

Please, heat up the tip to a higher temp by idling it for some time before contact to solder point. and make sure the tip is still in usable condition ie not blackened. If you do use flux, some maybe helpful to transfer heat. The solder point is quite large and needs a more powerful soldering iron. Excessively heating it up by leaving a weak soldering tip on the point for a long time will damage the PCB pads or even nearby components. Maybe its good for us to know if your soldering iron is good enough or not. It should be a 60W at least or with a temperature controlled up to 350C and above.

One trick you can try is to place the soldering iron near the solder points while it warms up to max temperature. This is help preheat the solder pad, so it wont lose as much heat upon contact. Otherwise the only solution is to get a stronger more powerful soldering iron. I was able to do it with my 25w iron.

Sand/scrape off the dry residue from tip, as the tip gets older you’ll find yourself needing to clean off tip quite often. Keeping the tip clean, will hit temperature quicker.

Good luck
Ps

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242