DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

(solved) dealing with glare

G Randy Brown

Reactions
Hi all, I did a search for glare but couldn't find a definite answer.
My phone is useless as a monitor if the sun hits it at any angle ...
would something like this make a big difference?
Thanks,
Randy

Hi all, I did a search for glare but couldn't find a definite answer.
My phone is useless as a monitor if the sun hits it at any angle ...
would something like this make a big difference?
Thanks,
Randy

It would, but the design makes it difficult to touch the screen

Something like the Pgytech cover (confirm sizing) or DJI Cover and the 3m anti-glare may work better, as it gives access to the screen

Last edited:
ahh, good point...if it would help tho it would be worth it even if I would have to use a stylus because the glare makes my phone useless...thanks very much!

So you're using the phone only ?
Sounds like it and yes, the small size is not only more difficult to see, but generally that also makes it much harder to see light wise (brightness) sometimes.

Trouble with any shade made, they will all make it hard to get to corner and edge menu buttons, especially on smaller screens.

What is the phone you're using ?
Maybe goolge it, and see what brightness it is, should be able to find a 'nits' rating, and maybe compare to something else that might be something to purchase mid to long term.

Eg. my iphone 6 is up to 600 nits
The ipad mini 4 is 450 nits, but it is a lot brighter looking / much easier to see than the phone, plus it's got much more room for displays like histogram, attitude display, map, etc.
Still fits in the arms, which is handy.

If you can't get a larger device for any reason, I usually just try and fly in the shade, tree, broad brim hat and back to sun etc.

People here rave about the Crystal Sky, which is 1000 nits to the larger one at 2000 nits.
The DJI smart controller is also 1000 nits.
They would be awesomely bright for sure, but not a light (no pun intended) investment.

So you're using the phone only ?
Sounds like it and yes, the small size is not only more difficult to see, but generally that also makes it much harder to see light wise (brightness) sometimes.

Trouble with any shade made, they will all make it hard to get to corner and edge menu buttons, especially on smaller screens.

What is the phone you're using ?
Maybe goolge it, and see what brightness it is, should be able to find a 'nits' rating, and maybe compare to something else that might be something to purchase mid to long term.

Eg. my iphone 6 is up to 600 nits
The ipad mini 4 is 450 nits, but it is a lot brighter looking / much easier to see than the phone, plus it's got much more room for displays like histogram, attitude display, map, etc.
Still fits in the arms, which is handy.

If you can't get a larger device for any reason, I usually just try and fly in the shade, tree, broad brim hat and back to sun etc.

People here rave about the Crystal Sky, which is 1000 nits to the larger one at 2000 nits.
The DJI smart controller is also 1000 nits.
They would be awesomely bright for sure, but not a light (no pun intended) investment.

Let me start off by saying...I'm not a phone guy...as in my kids and wife make fun of me because I still use an old Samsung Galaxy 6.
That said, I'd rather spend money on some kind of monitoring system that I can see well than a feature packed, cool phone that I'll only use for monitoring and occasional phone call/text.
I've also thought about goggles but I probably won't be able to really use them until I can fly decently (I have about 30 minutes of flight time thus far).
I think I'm eventually going to be able to fly well enuf to get the slow/smooth aerial shots I'm hoping to get but it looks like I'm going to have to go with something like the Crystal Sky as pricey as they are.
Once again I have to say, I would be totally lost without this forum...thanks!
Randy

Reactions: Bobvt and mereflyer
Let me start off by saying...I'm not a phone guy...as in my kids and wife make fun of me because I still use an old Samsung Galaxy 6.
That said, I'd rather spend money on some kind of monitoring system that I can see well than a feature packed, cool phone that I'll only use for monitoring and occasional phone call/text.
I've also thought about goggles but I probably won't be able to really use them until I can fly decently (I have about 30 minutes of flight time thus far).
I think I'm eventually going to be able to fly well enuf to get the slow/smooth aerial shots I'm hoping to get but it looks like I'm going to have to go with something like the Crystal Sky as pricey as they are.
Randy

Don't make the mistake of buying the Crystalsky, it's end of life and very poorly supported by DJI, they have only made one update in a year and the DJI Go version is only 4.3.16, while the IOS version is already at 4.3.29
The CrystalSky is only 32bit, so it won't run the DJI Fly app used for the Mavic Mini which requires a 64bit architecture to run.

The brightness of the screens is also it's Achilles heel, the black light has burned out on a number of the Ultra bright models.

Check out this sub-forum, it will show the litany of issues with the Crystal Sky

Reactions: Paulf10
The CrystalSky is only 32bit, so it won't run the DJI Fly app used for the Mavic Mini which requires a 64bit architecture to run.
Another reason to be grateful I found this forum ?
Just so you know, I will be sending back my MM to get either a MA or MP2 (I decided I def need 4K for my projects). What would you (or anyone else) suggest I go for?
Thanks again,
Randy

Reactions: mereflyer
Just so you know, I will be sending back my MM to get either a MA or MP2 (I decided I def need 4K for my projects). What would you (or anyone else) suggest I go for?
Thanks again,
Randy

The M2 Pro (or Zoom) with the excellent Smart Controller, no question. There are reviews on the Mavic 2 Pro vs Mavic 2 Zoom, I went with the M2P and am very pleased with it.

Thanks again,
Randy

If you want portability then it has to be the MA , if you want a 1inch camera sensor and better range/ flight time then it's the MP2.

The Mp2 is awfully expensive when you add in the extra costs like batteries and the smart controller (nice to have)

I prefer the MA personally, great performance, small size the same as a mini, slightly reduced flight time but better camera if you need 4k Ultra HD

mavic mini overlay - Copy.jpg

I have similar problems with my phone. And i rarely if ever use a tablet, just too bulky for my needs. the phone is perfect. i bought one of THESE for $7 and it works perfect for me. Folds flat and fits into the carry case for the M2 or the MA. I can deploy it in a second. Doesn't obscure any buttons or the screen. Just find the right size for your phone. Good luck!

Randy
Regarding goggles and the need for 4k, I had the White DJI Goggles a year ago. They are not capable of recording in 4k. Research this before buying.

Regarding goggles and the need for 4k, I had the White DJI Goggles a year ago. They are not capable of recording in 4k. Research this before buying.

The goggles don't record anything, well apart from a screen shot by a double finger and hold on the touchpad.
The drone still does the recording, so if it has 4k it will record that still as desired.
The googles resolution is 1080 30fps, which is fine for viewing, and same as a normal device I think ?

The goggles don't record anything, well apart from a screen shot by a double finger and hold on the touchpad.
The drone still does the recording, so if it has 4k it will record that still as desired.
The googles resolution is 1080 30fps, which is fine for viewing, and same as a normal device I think ?
That didn’t work for me on my MPP. Every time I set the AC to 4k, then connected the goggles, it would force a change to a lesser resolution of 1080. Maybe it’s different now?

Or to the point that I just never used them properly...

* Live View Mode of the Goggles interacts with the aircraft’s video recording.
When Live View Mode is in HD mode, video recording automatically switches to 1080p30. When in smooth mode, video recording automatically switches to 1080p60.
If you change the video recording mode of the aircraft, the live view of Goggles will preferentially synchronize with the matching format (1080p30 HD or 720p60 smooth mode). Otherwise, it will adjust Live View Mode to 720p30.

Regardless, they worked well for a great many pilots, but just did not work out for me due to vertigo. So I ended up not knowing how to use them correctly. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That didn’t work for me on my MPP. Every time I set the AC to 4k, then connected the goggles, it would force a change to a lesser resolution of 1080. Maybe it’s different now?

When Live View Mode is in HD mode, video recording automatically switches to 1080p30. When in smooth mode, video recording automatically switches to 1080p60.
If you change the video recording mode of the aircraft, the live view of Goggles will preferentially synchronize with the matching format (1080p30 HD or 720p60 smooth mode). Otherwise, it will adjust Live View Mode to 720p30.

Regardless, they worked well for a great many pilots, but just did not work out for me due to vertigo. So I ended up not knowing how to use them correctly. :rolleyes:

They aren't for everyone that's for sure.
First time I was on whites, another pilots and I just went along as a pax, turning the camera in gimbal tracking.
I have the REs now, maybe they're different too.
Still getting comfortable with them.

I had the same problem with glare when I first started flying over a year ago. I came up with a home made fix . I first bought a screen shade, that helped but didn't stop the glare . I then made a cover for the shade screen out of an old plastic dog clipper case . I cut eye opening and inserted lenses from and old pair of reading glasses. I know it looks corny but it's worked just fine for me . I can go out anytime of the day an fly with no glare .

Attachments

• 20190501_081826.jpg
    20190501_081826.jpg
    978.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20190501_081116.jpg
    20190501_081116.jpg
    902.5 KB · Views: 38
The M2 Pro (or Zoom) with the excellent Smart Controller, no question. There are reviews on the Mavic 2 Pro vs Mavic 2 Zoom, I went with the M2P and am very pleased with it.
Based on all of the research I've seen I definitely prefer the MP2 since the camera is most important to me.
With the MP2 sensor and data gatherting it does I would think one could do some zooming in post without losing too much res.
I just haven't justified the price tag compared to the MA yet (another important factor for this old, fixed income, retired musician)

If you want portability then it has to be the MA , if you want a 1inch camera sensor and better range/ flight time then it's the MP2.

The Mp2 is awfully expensive when you add in the extra costs like batteries and the smart controller (nice to have)

I prefer the MA personally, great performance, small size the same as a mini, slightly reduced flight time but better camera if you need 4k Ultra HD

View attachment 93891
The larger size of the MP2 isn't a concern to me, the cost is (but I can save up for a while if it's really worth it).
It seems everyone likes the smart controller...does it naturally have less glare or would I need some kind of hood for it also?

Reactions: Gindra
I have similar problems with my phone. And i rarely if ever use a tablet, just too bulky for my needs. the phone is perfect. i bought one of THESE for $7 and it works perfect for me. Folds flat and fits into the carry case for the M2 or the MA. I can deploy it in a second. Doesn't obscure any buttons or the screen. Just find the right size for your phone. Good luck!
That looks like a great solution but aren't the controls for a MA and MP2 above the screen.
Is it possible to have the screen above the controls as in the 4th from the top pic...that seems like the most logical place for them.

I think I have no problem with always recording to the drone...it just seems like goggles could provide a VR kind of experience and really bring out the detail of what you're trying to shoot.

Good to know, I've heard more than one person say they couldn't get used to the vertigo but that sitting in a chair can help.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian