DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

some pics from todays flying venture

old man mavic

Premium Pilot
Reactions
so went out today with the MM flew 4 batts worth no issues had a great time cold but the sun came out eventually but the best part no wind to speak of hence why i flew the MM tomorrow will be the MPPs turn going out with my flying partner these are straight from the SD card the winding house and winding gear are derelict now but the Great engineering hall in pic no 6 has been converted into
flats the stone with the writing on it is from the pit head baths and just to show spring is round the corner i threw in the flowering gorse bushesPics at penalta 05-02-2020 (1).JPGPics at penalta 05-02-2020 (5).JPGPics at penalta 05-02-2020 (7).JPGPics at penalta 05-02-2020 (9).JPGPics at penalta 05-02-2020 (10).JPGPics at penalta 05-02-2020 (12).JPGPics at penalta 05-02-2020 (16).JPGPics at penalta 05-02-2020 (14).JPGPics at penalta 05-02-2020 (4).JPG

Last edited:
Glad you go some time out. it's still windy over here on the east side of the country.
My Dad was a miner and I grew up in mining village in South Yorkshire, and the remainder of the mine looks almost exactly the same. I don't live too far away and keep meaning to take a drone and have a fly over.

i just use auto settings with an ND8 filter on the camera and i had the EV set to -07 as it was sunny

Very nice work, capturing the feel of the decay beautifully...... No need for laborious processing when you can get it right in camera.

You have clearly demonstrated that the suggestion the ND8 might degrade imaging was nonsense.

Seemingly the MM camera is very good for the size and price of the whole package.

Reactions: old man mavic
Very nice work, capturing the feel of the decay beautifully...... No need for laborious processing when you can get it right in camera.

You have clearly demonstrated that the suggestion the ND8 might degrade imaging was nonsense.

Seemingly the MM camera is very good for the size and price of the whole package.
thanks as i said before i am no expert photographer,but i am very impressed with the camera on the MM for its price, its hard to tell the difference between pics from it or the MPP i know they are not perfect, but for me i enjoy looking at what i film ,and as i am not doing it for money it does not really matter, i have great respect for those who go to great lengths to get the perfect shot and for the way they manipulate a pic and video after the fact and if it was something i was interested in i would invest in a computer to be able to do it ,beauty is in the eye of the beholder happy flying

Nice photos omm.
They will tidy up very nicely in post, and a bit of cropping the modern parts out as best possible.

That stone plaque with the miners first day record.
Looks like it was carved a long time ago, I wonder if the miner himself did this ?

It would have been a hard life, 'miners lung' or 'black lung' would have been unknown.

This might be a photo of it in operation (1905 - 1991), or shortly after closure . . .

Penallta_Colliery_Building%2C_Nr_Ystrad_Mynach_-_geograph.org.uk_-_364024.jpg

yes it lay abandoned for a long time and then developers moved in and built the new housing estate and it is now almost finished ,i used to work in Tredomen Engineering works just down the road where the new council offices are now, was there nearly 14 years before the coal board shut it down it was coal board owned and it was where the man riding trains that run underground were made and the haulages and they used to make the winding gear stuff as well like those big wheels at the top,when i finished i was working in NDT where we tested all the components for cracks, i have lots of memories, when i started there the work force numbered over 1200 when it shut there were around half that it was a massive place

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
yes it lay abandoned for a long time and then developers moved in and built the new housing estate and it is now almost finished

I did see a news story link in google search, real estate related "want to live in an old coal mine ?" words to that effect.
Is the old building staying ?
Cleaned up it would be a great indoor play area / community gathering place.

the great engineering hall that i mentioned and a smaller one behind it were converted to flats but the winding house and the pit head baths are all derelict now maybe one day it will be all pulled down who knows

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Looking good! Love all abandoned!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada