DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some questions for my newly acquired second hand Mavic 2 Pro with smart controller ;)

Ronny St.

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello,
I am preparing for my first flight on the second-hand Mavic 2Pro with smart controller I acquired recently. But before taking off (the weather in Belgium does not allow it now anyway) I want to be sure I get everything right and that I know enough of this configuration to have a safe taking off. So sorry if some of my questions appear to be (a bit) stupid for some of you ;)

I have been flying a Mini 1 and now a Mini 2 for some time, so it is not the flying itself but I have some questions for the initial usage of the M2P specifically.

So sorry for the bunch of questions, but I will list them all in one time:
1. I bought it second-hand so the first owner did activate it on DJI, do I have to activate again?
2. I cannot find the right usage for the different memory locations and the different SD cards: both the M2P and the SC have internal memory (although quite limited) and a slot for a SD card. What is stored where and how to configure that properly so that I can easily copy the pictures and videos to my laptop? With the Mini 2 one does not have that 'problem': it is just one SD card on the aircraft which stores all stuff.
3. As the SC does not have a SIM card, how can I load the satellite view maps? I suppose I will have to take a smartphone with 4G with me and configure it as a hotspot, but that is also completely new for me, so in that case I will have to figure out how that works on my phone.
4. Both the aircraft and the SC ask me to be updated, is there any disadvantage of doing that (newly introduced bugs etc)?

Thanks for reading my topic and for replying to it!
Greetings from a cold, wet and windy Belgium,
Ronny

Hello,
I am preparing for my first flight on the second-hand Mavic 2Pro with smart controller I acquired recently. But before taking off (the weather in Belgium does not allow it now anyway) I want to be sure I get everything right and that I know enough of this configuration to have a safe taking off. So sorry if some of my questions appear to be (a bit) stupid for some of you ;)

I have been flying a Mini 1 and now a Mini 2 for some time, so it is not the flying itself but I have some questions for the initial usage of the M2P specifically.

So sorry for the bunch of questions, but I will list them all in one time:
1. I bought it second-hand so the first owner did activate it on DJI, do I have to activate again?
2. I cannot find the right usage for the different memory locations and the different SD cards: both the M2P and the SC have internal memory (although quite limited) and a slot for a SD card. What is stored where and how to configure that properly so that I can easily copy the pictures and videos to my laptop? With the Mini 2 one does not have that 'problem': it is just one SD card on the aircraft which stores all stuff.
3. As the SC does not have a SIM card, how can I load the satellite view maps? I suppose I will have to take a smartphone with 4G with me and configure it as a hotspot, but that is also completely new for me, so in that case I will have to figure out how that works on my phone.
4. Both the aircraft and the SC ask me to be updated, is there any disadvantage of doing that (newly introduced bugs etc)?

Thanks for reading my topic and for replying to it!
Greetings from a cold, wet and windy Belgium,
Ronny
Its under camera, use internal memory of sd card
Ypu connect it to a phone and the phone is connected to the internet
If you update it you may not be able to use eg GPS hack but the advantages may outweigh disadvantages, search on google and youtube
Try Litchi for VR flying and waypoint missions
happy flying

Thanks for the response! I will have to figure out where the pictures and videos are stored if one inserts a SC card in both the drone and the controller, since then you have 4 possible places to store them.
About the firmware update: I must admit I am tempted to do a hack in order to have a more stable connection (FCC gives a much stronger signal than EC). On drone-hacks I found that for the M2P the firmware 01.00.0790 is supported, so if that is the latest firmware it shouldn't go wrong, but I want to be sure there is no further update of the firmware in the meanwhile ;)

Congratulations, still a very capable aircraft, and with the Smart controller even easier to get airborne.

Not sure if you know about the full manual on the DJI website, or have looked at it . . .

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_2/Mavic+2+Pro+Zoom+User+Manual+V1.4.pdf

Page 38 covers internal memory for photos and video, and also the microSD storage, and recommendations for card speed etc.

See here about the Smart controller microSD and how to use it . . .

I believe it's also in the Smart controller manual here page 16 . . .

I purchased a 2nd hand M2P with SC and they are both on the latest firmware with no issues encountered at all. Don't know about EU rules and regulations but here in the UK, we are restricted on where we can fly the M2P. I see no need for FCC hack on this drone as I fly it in wide open areas.
I have 2 Mini 2s for flying in urban places.
Also, I have an SD card, (64gb) , in the drone and the SC. I do not use the internal storage in either. After each flying trip, not each flight , I remove both cards and download all photos and videos to my computer and discard or retain those of my choice.
There are excellent video clips on youtube, although quite old, but they will give you a great understanding of all settings found in the Dji Go 4 app and which ones are recommended.
The M2P already has waypoints availabilty.
Hope this helps.

As MAvic South Oz says, the manual holds a wealth of information. You cannot read it too many times for safe flying.

Congratulations, still a very capable aircraft, and with the Smart controller even easier to get airborne.

Not sure if you know about the full manual on the DJI website, or have looked at it . . .

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_2/Mavic+2+Pro+Zoom+User+Manual+V1.4.pdf

Page 38 covers internal memory for photos and video, and also the microSD storage, and recommendations for card speed etc.

See here about the Smart controller microSD and how to use it . . .

I believe it's also in the Smart controller manual here page 16 . . .

Thanks for the tips! I did already downloaded and read the manuals, but I think I will have to try it out in real instead of reading about it.
Btw: not to look ungrateful, but if other forum members should follow this topic, there are new versions of the manual available from DJI: Mavic 2 - Download Center - DJI :)

I purchased a 2nd hand M2P with SC and they are both on the latest firmware with no issues encountered at all. Don't know about EU rules and regulations but here in the UK, we are restricted on where we can fly the M2P. I see no need for FCC hack on this drone as I fly it in wide open areas.
I have 2 Mini 2s for flying in urban places.
Also, I have an SD card, (64gb) , in the drone and the SC. I do not use the internal storage in either. After each flying trip, not each flight , Iremove both cards and download all photos and videos to my computer and discard or retain those of my choice.
There are excellent video clips on youtube, although quite old, but they will give you a great understanding of all settings found in the Dji Go 4 app and which ones are recommended.
The M2P already has waypoints availabilty.
Hope this helps.
Hi Yogi053,
So you did the same purchase as I did :) I will store my stuff also on the SD cards instead of in the internal memory. But does the M2P stores the same content on both or is there a difference, maybe in quality or so?

The stuff on the controller is a low resolution version of your footage. The SD card in the drone contains your hi resolution footage.

That is what I thought, but glad to see it confirmed now. And I suppose it is the same for the internal memory of the drone and the smart controller.
The question about the latest firmware on the aircraft is still on. Someone here who has updated to the latest firmware and can tell me what version that is?

Thanks for the response! I will have to figure out where the pictures and videos are stored if one inserts a SC card in both the drone and the controller, since then you have 4 possible places to store them.
About the firmware update: I must admit I am tempted to do a hack in order to have a more stable connection (FCC gives a much stronger signal than EC). On drone-hacks I found that for the M2P the firmware 01.00.0790 is supported, so if that is the latest firmware it shouldn't go wrong, but I want to be sure there is no further update of the firmware in the meanwhile ;)
The high resolution pictures are saved to the SD card on the drone. If you don't put the SD card in the drone, you'll only get a few minutes of recording and the internal memory will be full.
The SD card in the Smart Controller is optional.
You can download maps using your home wifi ahead of time if you know the area you'll be flying in, but there's limited space for map downloads. I normally setup my phone as a hotspot, and then log into with the Smart Controller like any other wifi router. It works great that way anytime, just keep your phone on you or stay within wifi range of it.

Reactions: Ronny St.
It is getting clear now, I will order some new U3 SD cards and insert them in the drone. And I will configure my smartphone as a hotspot, so that I never have to miss the maps where I want to fly.

That is what I thought, but glad to see it confirmed now. And I suppose it is the same for the internal memory of the drone and the smart controller.
The question about the latest firmware on the aircraft is still on. Someone here who has updated to the latest firmware and can tell me what version that is?
Sorry for keeping you waiting. Just double checked my equipment.
Aircraft firmware version 01.00.0790
RC firmware verion 01.01.0072
Precise Flysafe Data for Aircraft and App is version 1.00.01.29
Basic Flysafe Data version is 01.00.01.09

The Flysafe update was carried out just now.
These details can be found on the display when SC is connected to your M2P. Tap the 3 dots top right on display, scroll down to bottom and tap on about for the info.
Don't forget to remove gimbal cover before starting drone.

Sorry for keeping you waiting. Just double checked my equipment.
Aircraft firmware version 01.00.0790
RC firmware verion 01.01.0072
Precise Flysafe Data for Aircraft and App is version 1.00.01.29
Basic Flysafe Data version is 01.00.01.09

The Flysafe update was carried out just now.
These details can be found on the display when SC is connected to your M2P. Tap the 3 dots top right on display, scroll down to bottom and tap on about for the info.
Don't forget to remove gimbal cover before starting drone.
Great! Thanks for the info! I did the check here and at this moment for me it is still 01.00.0700 for the SC and 01.00.0510 for the M2P. So it is quite a way behind because the first owner didn't use his equipment for some time and never updated.
I am quite confident that getting the updates is a good idea now :)

I have your setup and have never updated from when I bought it a few years ago. It works perfectly every time and that is all I need it to do. I would suggest that if it is flying fine and filming fine then don't add something into the mix by updating, leave things as they are.

The card is not an SD card, it is a Micro SD card. Clear the memory of the onboard 16gb memory of the drone and use that in an emergency. Always use the Micro SD card that you insert on the side of your drone as your main source to store to.

Be sure to tap the SC screen to be sure you have focused your camera, after lift off and hovering about 50 ft up. Press the screen at some not too distant object, a building or some trees etc. to be sure you have the camera focused, or you may find when you bring it back, it was not focused and will be all slightly blurred. You won't be able to see that on the screen of your SC, so be sure to ALWAYS manually focus, do not trust the drone to do it.

Turn on SC then turn on drone, after you have removed the gimbal cover. Then you will be ready to fly. Take off and hold at 50ft and focus the camera and then off you go. If I remove my Micro SD card from the drone, I always leave the rubber door slightly opened, so when I next go to fly, a quick preflight tells me there is no Micro SD card in the drone.

Update everything, if you wish, when you get home from your holiday, as long as everything is working right now. Don't waste your time and money on putting a Micro SD card in your SC, it won't give you anything better than the drone will, so why bother? If you are flying mostly above your head, flatten out your antenna straight out in front. If you are flying off in the distance leave your antenna bent 90 facing down below your SC. The radio signal is strongest on the flat part of the antenna, not out the top of the antenna.

Last edited:
Thank you for your extensive response, Cymruflyer!
The remark about focusing is new for me, although I've been reading about the M2P a lot, so I will certainly take that into account. And the tip about the micro SD card in the SC is also very appreciated. (Btw: when I mentioned a SD card, I meant a micro SD card, sorry for the confusion.)
The reason why I considered updating the aircraft is that I must admit I want to get it into FCC mode to have a better connection, and on drone hacks they recommend 01.00.0770 or 01.00.0790. Regarding the firmware of the SC, an update would make it possible to use it also for my Mini 2. But up to now, I have not updated it, being a bit afraid that something could go wrong an ruin my stuff all together ;)

The latest firmware for Mavic 2 is .0790, and as you found out Drone-Hacks recommends this firmware. You get FCC, no altitude limit, and no restrictions in no fly zones.
I use DH with firmware .0770, it works perfect. I did not update as I saw no reason to do it.

Hello Waynorth,
Thanks for the info! I will probably update today. I am charging the battery right now to be sure it will have enough capacity to run through the complete update process. In the manual I read somewhere that it is recommend to detach the props before updating, is that a good idea?

Hello Waynorth,
Thanks for the info! I will probably update today. I am charging the battery right now to be sure it will have enough capacity to run through the complete update process. In the manual I read somewhere that it is recommend to detach the props before updating, is that a good idea?
I did not remove them when I updated to .0770. The motors will not start during updating. But feel free to remove them, it does no harm :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme