DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some rigorous rules coming to Canada.

You will definitely want to pre-check with Canada Customs and Immigration. It is likely that they will interrogate you and possibly confiscate your machine given the new rules. These are so heavy-handed that few Customs officials are going to let someone bring in something that can potentially cause such harm. That's the way it's being painted. the whole "report using 911" is just an indicator. This means the police will be on you before you can land. Just saying.

Reactions: snipe
I called this kind of stuff back when the first GPS multirotor hit consumer hands. The RC community will now understand what gun owners have been dealing with for decades - irresponsible owners cause heavy restriction burden for all users... irresponsible owners continue to be irresponsible and not follow new rules, causing further restriction for all users... rinse and repeat until the drones are confiscated.

You will definitely want to pre-check with Canada Customs and Immigration. It is likely that they will interrogate you and possibly confiscate your machine given the new rules. These are so heavy-handed that few Customs officials are going to let someone bring in something that can potentially cause such harm. That's the way it's being painted. the whole "report using 911" is just an indicator. This means the police will be on you before you can land. Just saying.
Really. Yes I need to keep following this thread and check with customs. Ecuador where I am at now wanted custom fee over $800. Luckily I checked and didn't bring it here.

May not go to Canada and stay at Glacier as I will have drone with me for a month before Canada.

what rules other than age restriction. Did I miss something? What are the actual rules?

what rules other than age restriction. Did I miss something? What are the actual rules?
  1. Insurance, if drone weighing over 250 grams
  2. Might require a license to operate the drone
Which makes total sense to me. There are too many irresponsible drone operators out there.

1. Insurance, if drone weighing over 250 grams
  2. Might require a license to operate the drone
Which makes total sense to me. There are too many irresponsible drone operators out there.

Exactly. This is a case of recreational operators ruining things for themselves. As pointed out in the article, it actual benefits commercial operators. I wouldn't be sad if similar rules came to the US, because it'll drastically reduce drone use.

Exactly. This is a case of recreational operators ruining things for themselves. As pointed out in the article, it actual benefits commercial operators. I wouldn't be sad if similar rules came to the US, because it'll drastically reduce drone use.
I suspect it is coming to the U.S. as well. It'll take some time, but I bought the Mavic knowing that, unfortunately, it's lifetime of free use would be limited. It's just too easy for people to do wrong whether it be out of ignorance or intent. But who knows, I mean, they still let us drive cars and there are a LOT of idiots out there! :)

Reactions: nveer
I suspect it is coming to the U.S. as well. It'll take some time, but I bought the Mavic knowing that, unfortunately, it's lifetime of free use would be limited. It's just too easy for people to do wrong whether it be out of ignorance or intent. But who knows, I mean, they still let us drive cars and there are a LOT of idiots out there! :)

Manufacturers won't stand for this kind of stuff though. Manufacturers still want to sell drones and these type of laws will severely curb consumer sales.

I think what you're going to see long-term has already been started by Yuneec. You're going to have severely limited range/altitude on consumer and pro-sumer drones, which can be unlocked by commercial or otherwise licensed operators with proven credentials. This will mostly stay the need for these type of overreaching laws and restrictions.

This offers the best of all worlds - manufacturers continue to sell drones to casual users, casual users are now mostly forced to fly them responsibly (but CAN actually fly them without crazy barriers), and those of us that are properly licensed and responsible get to continue operations without unnecessary restriction and hassle.

OR

Manufacturers don't think it's worth the fight and already see that consumer drones are dead - which explains why 3DR already exited that market, Yuneec is in the process of exiting, and DJI certainly seems to have one foot out the door already.

Manufacturers won't stand for this kind of stuff though. Manufacturers still want to sell drones and these type of laws will severely curb consumer sales.

I think what you're going to see long-term has already been started by Yuneec. You're going to have severely limited range/altitude on consumer and pro-sumer drones, which can be unlocked by commercial or otherwise licensed operators with proven credentials. This will mostly stay the need for these type of overreaching laws and restrictions.

You also have this on Mavic Pro drones. Restricted zones etc...

So the dots are 9km in size at airports, helipad and water ports so if our rules from Canada go to USA there will be no place to fly for you guys
372fc90fe7f68aea2e1d5104131a97be.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darksebius