DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some sort of shade hood so can see the screen better in bright sun?

wrybread

Reactions
I use my drone for surf checks, often in bright sun, and even though I use a big 12.9" iPad as a screen I still miss things since the sun is shining so brightly on the iPad. I make as much shade as I can but still I miss things.

I wonder if anyone has figured out some sort of hood to wear to create shade so they can see the screen better? Or any ideas? It's cold where I am so heat isn't an issue. And I'm standing still or sitting so it would be fine to be completley blinded to everything else while flying. And I'd have a spotter to keep an eye on the drone.

I'm thinking something to put completely over my head.

Last edited:
Reactions: mereflyer
You'll be a lot better off with something attached to the tablet instead, and likely to get plenty of recommendations for three-sided SHADES... but a completely enclosed HOOD is 10x better.

Like this Hoodman -

Hoodman Aviator HAV3KIT Sunshade Hood Base Plus Extender Kit iPad Pro 12 Inch Tablets https://a.co/d/j3hqvun

Look at the photos on that page, there's a graphic that shows the different sizes they offer, the HAV12 should fit your 12.9 tablet.

I'm somewhat of a cheapskate so made my own copy of the hoodman from cardboard and packing tape :) Love it, it's like sitting in a dark theater, but you can easily look up and see your drone.

Last edited:
You'll be a lot better off with something attached to the tablet instead, and likely to get plenty of recommendations for three-sided SHADES... but a completely enclosed HOOD is 10x better.

Like this Hoodman -

Hoodman Aviator HAV3KIT Sunshade Hood Base Plus Extender Kit iPad Pro 12 Inch Tablets https://a.co/d/j3hqvun

The HAV12 should fit your 12.9 tablet.

I'm somewhat of a cheapskate so made my own copy of the hoodman from cardboard and packing tape :) Love it, it's like sitting in a dark theater, but you can easily look up and see your drone.
like you I made my own hood but as I use a mobile phone (not a very big screen) I fitted a fresnel lens in and now when I look through the hood it's like looking at a tablet screen and so clear, and easy access for the hand to get to the phone screen.
made of cardboard and duck tape, only cost £3.00 that was for the lens

Attachments

• 20230313_110307.jpg
    20230313_110307.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • 20230313_110135.jpg
    20230313_110135.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 41
as I use a mobile phone (not a very big screen) I fitted a fresnel lens in and now when I look through the hood it's like looking at a tablet screen and so clear,
GREAT idea, thanks! I'll be looking into that so I don't have to use my reading glasses and look over them to look up and see the drone.

I also found that if I wear a black or very dark shirt, I don't get the reflection of myself which is always a problem for me.

Reactions: deanh and mereflyer
What kills me are my glasses "Transitions" lenses. They get so dark it seriously degrades the brightness of my controller (even with a 7" FeelWorld monitor).
It has helped to add a fisherman's sun hat ($18 at Amazon).
71Zy9mml8ML._AC_UX679_.jpg

I bought what amounts to an umbrella that fits on the head as a joke. Cumbersome but as it turns out, actually works well. The problem is simply ensuring the tablet is in the shade even with an "umbrella". I got a Tripltek and it's really quite useful in the summer. I don't have any use for it 9 months of the year but shortly I will find it very useful nearly 24/7.

I use my drone for surf checks, often in bright sun, and even though I use a big 12.9" iPad as a screen I still miss things since the sun is shining so brightly on the iPad. I make as much shade as I can but still I miss things.

I wonder if anyone has figured out some sort of hood to wear to create shade so they can see the screen better? Or any ideas? It's cold where I am so heat isn't an issue. And I'm standing still or sitting so it would be fine to be completley blinded to everything else while flying. And I'd have a spotter to keep an eye on the drone.

If you are handy with tools and have a few materials you can make yourself something like this. I cant fly without it!

Attachments

• DSCN3383.JPG
    DSCN3383.JPG
    815.7 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN3390.JPG
    DSCN3390.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • DSCN3394.JPG
    DSCN3394.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • DSCN3395.JPG
    DSCN3395.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 39
  • DSCN3400.JPG
    DSCN3400.JPG
    336.2 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: PAW
If you are handy with tools and have a few materials you can make yourself something like this. I cant fly without it!
That looks easy to put together in a "not really" sort of way.

What about the official DJI sun hood for the RC-N1 controller, anyone tried it?

Either drop the duckets on something like a Tripltek 8 pro or use the DIY beer box.
I actually cut up a 12 pack box and made something similar before I purchased a tablet with enough balls to blast a readable screen in the Savannah summer sunlight. Very happy even though it cost a couple of dollars.

No more darkening in the middle of flight with an already questionable screen to see in the sun. #applesux

That looks easy to put together in a "not really" sort of way.
Yes It took a few hours to "design, make and assemble" as you go time. But absolutely worth the joy of making and using. Its indispensable kit for me now - I'm on my way out the door to use it again this morning... Cheers

I have purchased 2 great sunshades from Amazon. My first was to fit my iPhone 11 Pro Max but shortly after I switched to an iPad Air and got a better cover to use from Amazon as well. Since you are speaking of using an iPad I'll stick with that. When not in use the cover folds fairly flat so I put it in the bottom of my Apache 3800 hard shell case then the foam on top. This makes it extremely easy to transport and the only other things I am carrying are my iPad and my controller holder. Here is the link if you want to see the unit I talking about:

If I were better at computing I would know how to paste the picture here but sadly I'm not. All I can say is the shade works great no matter the direction I am facing and when you look at the pictures of it I'm sure you will agree.

Hope this helps some and Happy Trails!

I can't believe DJI hasn't come up with something to solve this problem already. They are creating among the most advanced consumer and pro UAS but aren't able to figure out how to make it easier for pilots when there is sun out there? Sounds ridiculous...
As for me, it's very difficult to see what's on the screen of the RC, even with some April/May sun and partly cloudy skies. Let alone the micro-sized touch areas to control the camera settings, which are so small they are almost impossible to reach quickly. I have a mini 3 pro as my first practice drone, and I'm considering purchasing a Mavic 3 as main drone (not sure which one of the line yet), with a RC Pro. But for the price, I'm not even sure the RC Pro would be bright enough for my eyes to see well.
Maybe DJI Integra goggles would be a better option, but then I'd need to have someone with me to comply with my country's regulations, which requires to have the drone in VLOS at all times (when flying as hobby).
I wish there was a way to plug an external monitor with more nits onto the RC, and attach a specific sun shade to it... or maybe I should just cover my head with some black sheets (but that also wouldn't comply with regulations).
Anyone with another suggestion here?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian