DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some tips

bushie

Reactions
I thought I would post a few tips on videoing after watching many efforts here.

But first some background

I started taking movie film as it was called in my mid teens. I am now nearly 74 so you can do the maths.
I started with an 8mm camera. It actually took 16mm film that was split longitudinally during processing to give 8mm film. You exposed two strips 8mm wide and turned the film over half way through

The camera I first bought second hand. It had a fixed lens and, of course, ISO was fixed. The camera was powered by clockwork so you wound it up between shots.
No auto exposure, You read the light with a meter and set the aperture for each shot. No adjusting in post with film.

When you had exposed the few minutes of film you posted it away for processing and received it back a couple of weeks later.

I got into filming from my father who started when i was very young. I still have lots of cans of film he took dating back to the 1950s.

Once you got the film back from processing you edited it by cutting and gluing. No second changes so you made sure you cut right the first and only time.

Film was expensive for someone who only had pocket money and what I could earn from odd jobs so I learnt to be very careful.

Now for a few tips.

Taking video

Less is more
Remember the rule of thirds
Try and tell a story with your video
Keep panning shots to a minimum
If you do have pans, try and keep them all the same direction - left to right or right to left
Keep zooms to a minimum - Better a wide angle and then a closeup than a zoom most times

Editing

Again - tell a story
Keep it short
Never ever ever include a shot that is not as good as you know it should be
Audio (Music or voice etc) is as important as the video in telling your story.
I normally do a transition of some sort between shots but keep it to a simple quick merge most times.
Only use "fancy" transitions to signify a change in location etc.

I hope this helps and would welcome other tips. You are never too old to learn

Thanks very much - … Yr Insights are very helpful !!!!
… im sure theres LOTS of experience where all that comes from !!!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143