DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some very basic map display questions

CountryGuy

Reactions
Coming from a different platform and haven’t had an opportunity to fly this MA2 yet, but in looking at all the info that I can find I have a couple of questions about the map display on the controller.

I see that you can switch from camera view to map view by clicking in the lower left. When in map/satellite view, when I click to display MA2’s current position or the Home point, the map zooms way in and doesn’t redraw.

Am I correct in assuming that satellite images are being downloaded/created in real time via the phone’s data connection? Is there any way to cache maps ahead of a flight (as you can do in Google Maps) to make the map display quicker—or show satellite view when flying in an area without a data connection?

If you’re using the “Standard” map option is the information there incorporated in the DJI Fly app itself?

Appreciate any input...

It will redraw and load the closer up view of where the copter is, but that also in contingent on your device’s data connection speed. It may take a moment, and then the copter is not there anymore. I use an iOS device to fly (iPad), and if I know I will be flying somewhere with no or poor data coverage, I cache the map ahead of time to the zoom level that I think I will need - normally all the way in. The trick then, is to simply leave the app running or in the background, and it will maintain the cached map. It will not maintain the map if you shut down your device or close the app however.

“The trick then, is to simply leave the app running or in the background, and it will maintain the cached map. It will not maintain the map if you shut down your device or close the app however.“

That’s some very good info. Explains why I’ve not been able to figure out why my maps weren’t caching. Thank you. Now someone needs to figure out a way to store cached maps without having to leave the app open.

Reactions: Rockycat
“The trick then, is to simply leave the app running or in the background, and it will maintain the cached map. It will not maintain the map if you shut down your device or close the app however.“

That’s some very good info. Explains why I’ve not been able to figure out why my maps weren’t caching. Thank you. Now someone needs to figure out a way to store cached maps without having to leave the app open.
Yeah, in a perfect world right... One issue I could see with native map caching would be that maps change now and again, and sometimes in ways that could cause safety issues without the latest data. The way it works now, it’s unlikely one would have map data much older than a week or so, and that’s probably safer in the long run.

Hmmm, I’d like to find a way to do it though. I fly up in the Arctic and have no internet from the time I leave the lower 48. No way I can leave the app open for two days till I get there.

The trick then, is to simply leave the app running or in the background, and it will maintain the cached map. It will not maintain the map if you shut down your device or close the app however.

Thanks for the info. Have you noticed any issues when leaving the Fly application in the background for extended time? Like significantly more battery, or memory usage? I am asking because I found the Fly app a real resource hog when running in foreground. I am using Note 9/Android btw.

Hmmm, I’d like to find a way to do it though. I fly up in the Arctic and have no internet from the time I leave the lower 48. No way I can leave the app open for two days till I get there.
In a case like that, with no access to traditional internet, the only thing that I can think of would be a portable satellite internet device that can serve as a hotspot, but I'd guess they are fairly expensive, although very nice to have in these situations. Some of the real hardcore Litchi guys may know of a way to import into Litchi pre-planned missions complete with Goggle Map data, but I'm not sure. You may want to ask that on that part of the forum. There are some here who do amazing things with autonomous mapping and such.

Thanks for the info. Have you noticed any issues when leaving the Fly application in the background for extended time? Like significantly more battery, or memory usage? I am asking because I found the Fly app a real resource hog when running in foreground. I am using Note 9/Android btw.
On occasions where I have cached the maps for later use that day, I have kept the iPad plugged in and charging while driving to a location. I only use this iPad for UAV related things, so it has just a few apps, and never anything unnecessary running in the background. DJI Go4 and DJI Fly do seem to consume power constantly trying to connect however, so yeah, something to consider.

Reactions: fGene
With an iPad, assuming you also have an iPhone, you can always go to where you are going to fly, hotspot to the phone & use your phone’s mobile data to allow you to open the map in Fly, then switch your iPad to Airplane mode.

Now someone needs to figure out a way to store cached maps without having to leave the app open.
I agree, it would be great to store cached maps.

I've always wondered why flight apps didn't have a 'Save current map' function, then it dawned on me - follow the money.

The app owners don't own the map information, they license the use of it - obviously for real-time download only. They probably could get a license so that users could save portions of maps, but it would be terribly expensive per user.

Disclaimer: the above is purely my speculation and not based on any known facts or information.

In a case like that, with no access to traditional internet, the only thing that I can think of would be a portable satellite internet device that can serve as a hotspot, but I'd guess they are fairly expensive, although very nice to have in these situations. Some of the real hardcore Litchi guys may know of a way to import into Litchi pre-planned missions complete with Goggle Map data, but I'm not sure. You may want to ask that on that part of the forum. There are some here who do amazing things with autonomous mapping and such.

i have another App loaded called OnX Hunt that Does store downloaded maps. Wonder if there’s a way to use those?

Reactions: umanbean
I use google to download offline maps I do this all the time and every so often it will ask you to update them so there well up to date.

Kidroc, for clarity, are you saying that if you down load a google-map's map the DJI control Apps can access the downloaded map? If so is it necessary to do anything to give the Apps that access? My screen/viewing-device does not have a SIMM card and wifi and bluetooth are off when I fly so I have no internet connection. Thanks

i have another App loaded called OnX Hunt that Does store downloaded maps. Wonder if there’s a way to use those?
Good point, I just discovered OnX hunt a couple weeks ago, and had forgotten about its ability to save maps.

We're buying a rural 37 acre property with 1,600 feet of creek frontage, and I looked for an app to show me property parcel lines... I like it, think I'll go ahead and get a subscription to it.

Going out later this morning to get some aerial shots and video.

Last edited:
I agree, it would be great to store cached maps.

I've always wondered why flight apps didn't have a 'Save current map' function, then it dawned on me - follow the money.

The app owners don't own the map information, they license the use of it - obviously for real-time download only. They probably could get a license so that users could save portions of maps, but it would be terribly expensive per user.

Disclaimer: the above is purely my speculation and not based on any known facts or information.

The Android version of DJI Go 4 does let you cache maps for offline use.

Reactions: umanbean
With an iPad, assuming you also have an iPhone, you can always go to where you are going to fly, hotspot to the phone & use your phone’s mobile data to allow you to open the map in Fly, then switch your iPad to Airplane mode.
Going in to the arctic and risking my phone battery going flat just to fly my drone seems like a bridge too far ...... ? ? .... just stay line of sight, put a strobe under the drone and use visuals and the screen RC-drone guide. You must get some excellent and unusual footage up there. How does the cold affect the drone and batteries? Safe flying. ??

Kidroc, for clarity, are you saying that if you down load a google-map's map the DJI control Apps can access the downloaded map? If so is it necessary to do anything to give the Apps that access? My screen/viewing-device does not have a SIMM card and wifi and bluetooth are off when I fly so I have no internet connection. Thanks

As Kidroc says, it's easy to download map areas with Google Maps. Something I do often when traveling to areas where there not be a data signal. When using Google Maps to navigate, if it can't connect to data it uses the offline versions. However it only works with standard maps, not satellite.

I assume DJI Fly uses Google Maps on the backend but don't believe there's any kind of "hook" that lets you use their maps directly. That's my best guess of course...

As Kidroc says, it's easy to download map areas with Google Maps. Something I do often when traveling to areas where there not be a data signal. When using Google Maps to navigate, if it can't connect to data it uses the offline versions. However it only works with standard maps, not satellite.

I assume DJI Fly uses Google Maps on the backend but don't believe there's any kind of "hook" that lets you use their maps directly. That's my best guess of course...
You assume incorrectly!

Going in to the arctic and risking my phone battery going flat just to fly my drone seems like a bridge too far ...... ? ? .... just stay line of sight, put a strobe under the drone and use visuals and the screen RC-drone guide. You must get some excellent and unusual footage up there. How does the cold affect the drone and batteries? Safe flying. ??
My reply was aimed at the OP - he never mentioned the Arctic

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji