DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Something to remember.

Just remember, those controllers are professionals and you are nothing more than a toy operator.

Yes we are all impressed with your big-boy plane and Snoopy goggles, Top Gun.
fat-baby-plane.jpg

It seems someone is trying to stamp their authority over others with any excuse possible.

It's an inferiority complex. No one with any self-confidence would feel the need to denigrate the members of a nice hobby forum to make themselves feel important. He must have a very sad, little... life.

Thanks, i will remember to avoid Gatwick in case over zealous flight controllers shut down the system and cause so much delay due to possible sightings. *According to this pretty clip*

^ Flame Warriors | Politics Forum.org

Stone Deaf

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Masheen
Just remember, those controllers are professionals and you are nothing more than a toy operator.
Todd spent 10,000 $ + on a private airplane single engine pilot licence, Todd had dreams of a wonderful future.

Todd spent many hours berating and belittling UAV pilots on Mavic pilots forum, because they can experience what it is like to fly for a tiny fraction of his costs.

Todd's private airplane single engine pilot licence has expired, and with that, his dreams. Todd can now only fly the “toy” he despises.

Todd should learn to love his “toy” and stop being so bitter about his failed dreams.

We all wish Todd find happiness in the future !!

The OP's post in raising awareness in air traffic safety and consequential effects due to infringements, whether it's due to a drone, a balloon or a flock of birds should be taken more seriously. In this example it was reported as a drone flying in an NFZ at an international airport. Whether it has been proved to be a drone yet I don't know, but ATC reacted to a report as such. If it wasn't a drone then it's one less incident of reported dangerous drone operator use, and we can breathe a sigh of relief and trust this will relieve the pressure imposed on drone flyers. If it was a drone then we should condemn such actions without caveat, and hope that consequential penalties don't restrict our hobby/profession to extinction.
Surely spreading the word of the consequences to air safety and disruption should be beyond ctriticsm. False reports of drone operator misuse must be highlighted to vindicate the safe use of drones, but until proof has been authenticated, guessing isn't helpful.

I am not sure it is our duty to jump up and down every time there is a clown making headlines with clearly idiotic choices of where or how to fly.

I think that in time it should be up to airport management to put in place anti-drone technology to police its airspace.
That could be in the form of a magic disabling super ray, much better detection and tracking ability or killer attack and capture drones to be dispatched on demand.
Maybe use sat data with consent of gov to track drones that pass into airspace.

Like the claim made by the clip posted by the OP?
"Guessing" either way is conjecture. However, highlighting cause and effect may encourage a greater understanding from those that haven't considered the potential of the consequences of their actions and promote objective safe use rather than reactionary conjecture. And that is meant in support of highlighting potential risk from anything that may compromise air safety.

IMO ATC need to come up with the means to make a measured evaluation of such reports and gather more accurate info quickly before spinning arriving aircraft. Not instantly react to every report by spinning arrivals to hold. To do so predictably could become a "wedge" for some with other motives.

Possibly, police (the most mobile) could be trained for this sort of evaluation in the vicinity of large airports and be able to respond, observe, evaluate and advise ATC within several minutes. To be sure it's not easy in urban settings near large airports such as H'row or G'wick.

It's an inferiority complex. No one with any self-confidence would feel the need to denigrate the members of a nice hobby forum to make themselves feel important. He must have a very sad, little... life.

Ummm , pot/kettle kinda thing?
I am also dismayed that there are trolls here with nothing constructive to offer, but let's all be positive and helpful!

Is it really true now that this forum has been infiltrated by imbeciles - can't we just have fun with a hobby?

The one thing so far is, was it really a drone...Was it confirmed.
Currently there's a trend for any unidentified object spotted to be labelled a drone regardless of actual evidence.
I do have some issues believing the large number of drone sightings. Drones are small, the mavic is very small. Its hard to spot even when its not moving, you aren't moving and you know exactly where to look. A few hundred feet away you won't see it.
Now imagine you're moving along at 150kts or more whilst scanning the whole sky along with other flight deck tasks. The time to see an object that small is tiny moving at that speed and even less if you're trying to positively ID something. Im not sure a lot of drone reports are actually drones for that reason but its convenient to blame them.

HOWEVER.... As this forum, FB and other places show, there are enough complete morons with drones flying them irresponsibly and violating no fly zones and a host of other regulations (either knowingly or unknowingly) so no doubt some of the reports are genuine.

If it was a drone operating inside controlled airspace then i really hope they catch the guy and throw every single charge humanly possible against the idiot to make a public example of him and deter others from being equally as brain dead.

Gatwick had no choice - if it believed there was a collision threat from a drone it had to take the action it did which would have the knock on effect as highlighted above. However, im not seeing any conclusive evidence there WAS a drone.

So they acted correctly although the cause of the action is potentially in doubt.

Where i am here there are quite a few reports of "drones" on the approach by commercial aircraft on vhf. A small number are.. However some of them come from positions, altitudes and speeds where its impossible for it to be a civilian off the shelf drone but the reports arent questioned and are logged as such.

Reactions: Rick
Why would anyone make a comment like this on a Mavic Pilots forum? How is this in any way helpful? And I'd wager that there are many of us here who pilot more than just Mavic drones!

Why would anyone make a comment like this on a Mavic Pilots forum? How is this in any way helpful? And I'd wager that there are many of us here who pilot more than just Mavic drones!

"Pilot". Really. Ultimately lets face it, the automation in the mavic and many other drones means to operate them requires no skill set that a real pilot needs. No need for training in aerodynamics, weather, physics, collision regs, emergency procedures, nothing. You push up, it goes up, you push left it goes left.

I think a number of users get something like this and actually delude themselves into thinking they're a pilot and doing something complicated. Like it or not, we're simply operating a computer in charge on a highly automated piece of technology. Automated to the point it shields us completely from having to know how to fly.

He's right - we have a $1000 RC toy to an extent.

Reactions: BigDuke6ixx
"Pilot". Really. Ultimately lets face it, the automation in the mavic and many other drones means to operate them requires no skill set that a real pilot needs. No need for training in aerodynamics, weather, physics, collision regs, emergency procedures, nothing. You push up, it goes up, you push left it goes left.

I think a number of users get something like this and actually delude themselves into thinking they're a pilot and doing something complicated. Like it or not, we're simply operating a computer in charge on a highly automated piece of technology. Automated to the point it shields us completely from having to know how to fly.

Totally agree. Anyone slagging of ATC over the Gatwick diversions is a complete moron.

Pilot. Yes. Really. The name of the website we are on is called "MavicPilots"!!!

So now we are going to debate calling it pilot???

Please define "real pilot"!

Mind you, I'm in no way stating flying the Mavic is tantamount to piloting even the simplest manned aircraft.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000