DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sonoma county flying

Joesonoma

Reactions
Might not be anyone from Sonoma reading this - having trouble locating a place to practice flying - now that I have a mavic pro - the app told me my go to spot was not safe to fly ( I forget what it said exactly )

I usually just brought my hubsan w me on my week vacation twice a year and look for a spot -
Any ideas?

Thank you

It's rough out here in the Bay Area. My best advice is to either look at a sectional map online, or better yet buy one.

Reactions: ksmusa
Welcome to the forum. When @Thomas B logs on he might be of some help to you .

Be aware that all Regional Parks are no fly zones now. Even if you launch from outside the boundary according to GO4. On the coast your closet spot would be the Bodega Bay area, and North of. Treasure Island is a good place too. Lake Berryessa is flyable too, just have to be careful around the power plant. Sacramento has some spots too ie. Folsom Lake.

Well my second flight attempt was an hour ago and my mavic pro told me I was not allowed to fly where I was . Now I need some large field I can practice before heading out to bodega bay or sone other area that might be difficult for a beginner !

Hey Joe, I live in Cazadero California, West Sonoma County. There are plenty of places to fly around the Russian River area. Coastal flying too. Except from Duncans Landing to around Fort Ross is a no fly zone but only over water. From Duncans landing south to Dillon Beach you can fly over water.

I know 4 Mavic and Phantom pilots in my area. Here's a shot from Duncans Landing looking south where you can fly over water. Where in Sonoma County do you live? Santa Rosa? Hit me up here if you need more local info.

20190609_153450.jpg

Be aware that all Regional Parks are no fly zones now. Even if you launch from outside the boundary according to GO4. On the coast your closet spot would be the Bodega Bay area, and North of. Treasure Island is a good place too. Lake Berryessa is flyable too, just have to be careful around the power plant. Sacramento has some spots too ie. Folsom Lake.
I support Wilbur's suggestion. Pretty darn accurate. Bodega and Berryessa are closest for you and offer some pretty open amazing spaces. I got a chance to practice with the dolly zoom and other video effects and different filters as well. I need to get back out there. Have fun!!

Hey Joe, I live in Cazadero California, West Sonoma County. There are plenty of places to fly around the Russian River area. Coastal flying too. Except from Duncans Landing to around Fort Ross is a no fly zone but only over water. From Duncans landing south to Dillon Beach you can fly over water.

I know 4 Mavic and Phantom pilots in my area. Here's a shot from Duncans Landing looking south where you can fly over water. Where in Sonoma County do you live? Santa Rosa? Hit me up here if you need more local info.

View attachment 82866
Thank you for the info - I live in the city of sonoma - and I would like to just practice flying so I can then go to areas that you are describing - I need to fly in open fields where I can find the thing if something stupid happens - like the other day when rth didn’t rth. !!
I flew my hubsan ( that I never get to practice with either ) in bodega bay and was fairly tentative on what I did since it was over water ... I usually start out saying “ it was nice knowing you “

Reactions: Flycaster
Thank you for the info - I live in the city of sonoma - and I would like to just practice flying so I can then go to areas that you are describing - I need to fly in open fields where I can find the thing if something stupid happens - like the other day when rth didn’t rth. !!
I flew my hubsan ( that I never get to practice with either ) in bodega bay and was fairly tentative on what I did since it was over water ... I usually start out saying “ it was nice knowing you “

I use an app call "AirMap" to see any and all flight restrictions and what they are. I explored Sonoma using AirMap and you are surrounded by no fly zones. I found 25 advisories in just a 5 mile radius. Try AirMap.

Dead serious. Visit a winery, sip, buy a case or two. Schmooze with the owner. Ask if there might be a remote corner of his property where you could practice without disturbing the operation. Even ask if he would like to learn about drones. ?

I use an app call "AirMap" to see any and all flight restrictions and what they are. I explored Sonoma using AirMap and you are surrounded by no fly zones. I found 25 advisories in just a 5 mile radius. Try AirMap.
Looking at air map - not exactly sure what I’m looking at - just shows a map of where I am -

Looking at air map - not exactly sure what I’m looking at - just shows a map of where I am -

Use two fingers to punch or expand your view. Here are a few screenshots from your location in Sonoma. First shot, close up of Sonoma, 1 mile view. Second shot, Sonoma 25 mile view. Third shot I clicked on red arrow to view notifications. Red are No Fly Zones. Yellow or Orange you need to seek permission.

Screenshot_20191004-061847_AirMap.jpgScreenshot_20191004-061911_AirMap.jpg
Screenshot_20191004-061925_AirMap.jpg

Hi All !
New to this forum but have a question. I have seen several Sonoma county drone flyers referring to the 'Swamp Place' as a place to fly......can anyone tell me where that is? I live in the west county between Sebastopol and Forestville...

Thanks a lot !
Rod

Hi Rod, I'm Steve in Cazadero. I have been in this area 17 years and I've never heard of a "Swamp Place". I know about six local drone pilots and I'll ask around.

There are plenty of great locations out here in the Russian River and coastal area's. Message me here if you want to get together out here.

Where do you normally fly and what bird do you have? I'm new M2P flyer.

Hi Steve !
Thanks for getting back to me. I heard some folks referencing the swamp place that seemed to deal with Jakes hobbies in RP. and one of them had a video of it on YouTube. I have a Mavic Air and a Chroma from horizon hobby. I don't really like hanging out at the coast...too cold and windy. But am looking for a good place locally. In the past I flew mostly up in Healdsberg with a friend at some open places but most of them are off limits these days.
The Mavic air is new to me....so just learning about it. now. Also, I am thinking about getting my 107 license just in case I ever want to do some stuff for contractor friends etc.
I would like to hook up with others to fly local soon but have a little reading to do to understand the Mavic first. I would like to see some of the non-coastal places you mentioned and would meet up with you even before I'm ready to fly the mavic Air.

So thanks again Steve !

Rod

Hi Rod
I'm fairly new at this too. I've flown older remote control things, fixed wing, helo's, quad's and crashed them all until unflyable. This M2P is the most sophisticated RC I've ever flown. I bought it in April and over 170 take offs and landings, 1 minor crash. I was flying around my front yard not realizing it was not light enough for object avoidance cameras to work and I flew into a hill causing minor damage.

I'm mostly into the photography aspect of this drone so I'm pretty tame in my flying skills. I mostly get up and in position to get my shot and get back down. I am getting braver the more I fly though. My longest round trip flight so far has been just under 2 miles.

And yes, the coast is tricky getting the right weather. I live fairly close so I pop out there often. Sometimes I get lucky and find a sunny windless day. Here's a shot looking south at Duncans Landing. And an a shot above Duncans Mills.

Happy Flying, Steve

20190609_153450.jpgScreenshot_20190702-193704_Photos.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MacPilot55