DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Soon to be Mavic pilot! Hit me with your best tips!

MavicSwede

Reactions
Tomorrow my Mavic pro will arrive! It will be my very first drone. I would love to take your tips of what was difficult for you as a beginner. Everything from must have accessories and locations is of interest. I have a project To film
And produce music in the province of Scania Sweden. Really exited about this!! Looking forward to talk to all of you in this community/ Kind regards // MavicSwede

Tomorrow my Mavic pro will arrive! It will be my very first drone. I would love to take your tips of what was difficult for you as a beginner. Everything from must have accessories and locations is of interest. I have a project To film
And produce music in the province of Scania Sweden. Really exited about this!! Looking forward to talk to all of you in this community/ Kind regards // MavicSwede
Hi there

If you're totally new to drones I would suggest to take it slow and first learn to fly it as manually as possible. Don't get tempted to start with everything automated like a lot of beginners do. If an auto take off or return to home (RTH) or auto landing fails, you should be able to take the right decisions and know how to control it.

the mavic is too simple to use and to fly. But that's usually the culprit. Make sure you read the manual at least a few times and keep reading it because some things only make sense after you actually have flown it a couple of times. The simulator in the app is very useful in the beginning to see how things work and how your settings would work out in the real world.
Must haves: ND filters, Sun hood, extra batteries, spare props, extra 16G-32G SD cards, lanyard, Compatible Android phone and an iPad Mini2. That's all I need.
For editing clips, a beefy PC with i7, at least 16G of Ram and a 4G video card, 4K monitor.
Nice to haves: after you have some experience you start to find out for yourself what extras you would like to have.

Reactions: MavicSwede
Hi there

If you're totally new to drones I would suggest to take it slow and first learn to fly it as manually as possible. Don't get tempted to start with everything automated like a lot of beginners do. If an auto take off or return to home (RTH) or auto landing fails, you should be able to take the right decisions and know how to control it.

the mavic is too simple to use and to fly. But that's usually the culprit. Make sure you read the manual at least a few times and keep reading it because some things only make sense after you actually have flown it a couple of times. The simulator in the app is very useful in the beginning to see how things work and how your settings would work out in the real world.
Must haves: ND filters, Sun hood, extra batteries, spare props, extra 16G-32G SD cards, lanyard, Compatible Android phone and an iPad Mini2. That's all I need.
For editing clips, a beefy PC with i7, at least 16G of Ram and a 4G video card, 4K monitor.
Nice to haves: after you have some experience you start to find out for yourself what extras you would like to have.

Thanks for your reply! especially the tip about learn to fly manually in case **** happens with the autopilot!
i have ordered ND filters ND4 ND8 ND16, two extra batteries, 64GB SanDisk Extreme and have a Iphone 7 Plus! My first 10+ flights will be att the nearby soccer field =)

take your time beginner mode for ages nice and slow huge open area no distractions / no friends asking for a GO over head power lines / large metal objects / containers etc .. my opinion forget the filters / forget camera settings / forget that perfect shot etc .... learn learn learn and again learn .. also at home get a small quad to buzz around the house with after you stop smashing it into stuff you will know your advancing .. enjoy and welcome to mavic pilots

One Tip! Don't try indoors, but find a lot of space outside with good GPS coverage. It's a great flying machine, just handle it with care. Up in the air it's on his best so also the first time, send it to about 10 meters and don't stay to close to the ground. Have fun with it!!!!

All good advice here.
  • A soccer field is great for practice.
  • No or little wind and keep it low and close for the first flights.
  • Practice take off and landing manually.
  • Switch off the landing protection in the App. (it might stay hovering over the landing spot asking to confirm that you really want to land, very annoying, and a known cause for a first time crash).
  • Keep vertical positioning on but practice also with VPS off (that way you feel how it behaves close above the ground without the assistance taking over, no worries, it is still perfectly safe).
  • Don't try out how the obstacle avoidance works. It should do work whenever you happen to fly into something substantial. Many rookies try it out the first or second flight, not knowing the limitations, and crash into tree branches or power lines. Take some OA tests if you like after you fully manage the bird. OA doesn't work well in low light. Don't fly directly into the sun with OA on. It will try to pass over the sun and ascends to its maximum altitude, depleting the batteries.

Or fly with these indoors or tight places. Cost about 5€ at ali. And they DO what they're supposed to.
1524480710224.jpg
I think in a exhibition hall or alike would be ok. The propeller cages are really expensive....1524480772040.jpg

Welcome to our passion dude!!!
Hey one thing others havent mentioned, and something I haven't said for a while.. (coz I get banned a lot!)

RTFM !

It will help ya mate!

Howdy from Wyoming @MavicSwede , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome Aboard! And enjoy your stay here, there is a wealth of information to be had here so take your time and enjoy reading all the great stuff you can do, :) Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Have a great one and happy flying :)

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to our passion dude!!!
Hey one thing others havent mentioned, and something I haven't said for a while.. (coz I get banned a lot!)

RTFM !

It will help ya mate!
Thanks! I am already reading it and seen hours of clips on youtube! All good tips!

Pro tip: buy as many batteries as you can afford! :)

Fly in wide open spaces, fly high (200 ft) at first so you're above any obstacles. Get a good screen... I invested in a new phone and a new tablet. If you have the funds, the DJI crystal sky monitors might be worth it.

Spend as much time flying as you can when you get it, it will take a bit to figure out how to get great footage, what the boundaries and limitations are, and what you feel comfortable with.

Find some good content as well! Record everything at first and just delete it after you've been through the footage, or after you upload to youtube if you want to keep it. :)

Get a launch pad (or something to use like it) for taking off/landing on anything but pavement. You don't want your mavic to be a lawnmower!

And... if you didn't get the platinum, you can buy the platinum propellers, which will cut down on the flight noise by quite a bit.

Welcome to the drone addict club!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580