DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SOOOOOOOO lucky

Mazdaman323lx

Reactions
My Mavic Air 2 flew into a tree above water today , not once , but twice and still managed to keep itself airborne. What a tough liitle machine . Kudos to DJI for making something this resiliant.
I was flying over a lake in slow motion mode when a elderly gent approached me while I was recording to ask about the drone , he appeared fasinated by it and started asking all sorts of questions . Not wanting to be rude I took my eyes off the drone while talking to him and let it drift into the tree not once but twice , it stayed in the air and out of the water unbelievably , and I managed to land it safely. Going to do the lottery tonight . Anyways the footage is below if interested.

I have used a bright safety vest stating “FAA Pilot Do Not Disturb” in any populated departure area. Works well at suppressing idle chit chat. It also creates a “official government worker” aura which may comfort some alarmist in the passerby’s.

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
I Hit a Joshua Tree (very Stiff) while in sport mode over the open desert. I was watching the Air 1 and the screen at the time and never had a clue that it had hit the tree. looking at the video after is when I saw the impact. It was obvious on the screen that I was going to hit the tree and when it did It looked like it rolled twice and then continued on. I hadn't noticed a mark on the drone afterwards. That episode taught me all kinds of lessons..for one..I don't think I'll ever fly low altitude sport mode again.

Reactions: Mavic Maxwell
At least you got a safe landing afterwards.
I tell people I will answer any questions after I land, I bet you do from now on ;)
**** Straight.
I Hit a Joshua Tree (very Stiff) while in sport mode over the open desert. I was watching the Air 1 and the screen at the time and never had a clue that it had hit the tree. looking at the video after is when I saw the impact. It was obvious on the screen that I was going to hit the tree and when it did It looked like it rolled twice and then continued on. I hadn't noticed a mark on the drone afterwards. That episode taught me all kinds of lessons..for one..I don't think I'll ever fly low altitude sport mode again.
Thats a video I'd like to see. Why not stick a link up

Reactions: Thomas B
When I’m close to trees, I’ve found it’s better to watch the screen, with the camera horizontal, than it is to try to watch the drone, even when VLOS. Depth perception can be tricky. In your case though, it seems like you backed into the tree while distracted. I wonder why DJI disabled the sensors in cine and sport modes? It would suit my particular needs better if the sensors stayed on with the ability to manually disable them when needed.
I like the idea of an official looking vest.

Reactions: zeusfl
The sensors wouldn’t be able to react quickly enough, going full pelt in sport mode. Probably... ;):)

When I’m close to trees, I’ve found it’s better to watch the screen, with the camera horizontal, than it is to try to watch the drone, even when VLOS. Depth perception can be tricky. In your case though, it seems like you backed into the tree while distracted. I wonder why DJI disabled the sensors in cine and sport modes? It would suit my particular needs better if the sensors stayed on with the ability to manually disable them when needed.
I like the idea of an official looking vest.
It was the dreaded sideways drift .

My Mavic Air 2 flew into a tree above water today , not once , but twice and still managed to keep itself airborne. What a tough liitle machine . Kudos to DJI for making something this resiliant.
I was flying over a lake in slow motion mode when a elderly gent approached me while I was recording to ask about the drone , he appeared fasinated by it and started asking all sorts of questions . Not wanting to be rude I took my eyes off the drone while talking to him and let it drift into the tree not once but twice , it stayed in the air and out of the water unbelievably , and I managed to land it safely. Going to do the lottery tonight . Anyways the footage is below if interested.

You got to admit the footage looks cool, all is slow motion.

Thats a video I'd like to see. Why not stick a link up
I just couldn't get it out of my head that that tree could have been a person...even though it would have been a million to one shot. I just had no idea that I'd even come close to hitting anything. I thought I was safely above everything. those Joshua tree's are pretty uniform size and this is a completely uninhabited area..I had gotten into the habit of flying out and returning lower and lower... I was in sport mode and really hauling.. I really didn't want to look at it again..ever...and I erased it.

I just couldn't get it out of my head that that tree could have been a person...even though it would have been a million to one shot. I just had no idea that I'd even come close to hitting anything. I thought I was safely above everything. those Joshua tree's are pretty uniform size and this is a completely uninhabited area..I had gotten into the habit of flying out and returning lower and lower... I was in sport mode and really hauling.. I really didn't want to look at it again..ever...and I erased it.
I Understand , I've recently botched up a hand landing with my mavic air and you should have seen the state of my hand and fingers from the blades. They were cut to ribbons and that was from a almost stationary drone. I fear to think what damage a drone flying in sport mode would do to someones face or head.

That makes sense "hiflyer" ...formerly known as 'lowflyer'!! LOL

Sweet man. Atleast i know i can use it as a hedge drimmer?

How did it “drift” into the tree without stick control ? Was it windy ?

Reactions: TimR
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143