DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sound Comparsion ?

pyrolator

Reactions
Hi,
anyone read about an Soundtest ?
An annoying Bee like the Air or more like an Anafi ?

Greets from Germany (thats why my bad English)

Think I saw 71db in one review today and might have been the German guy that speaks English on YouTube.

I read somewhere it is DJI's quietest drone but no direct comparisons . I have an Anafi as well as MP2 and highly value the quieter sound signature of my Anafi.

Last edited:
Reactions: pyrolator
72db is pretty good as far as sound level goes, about the same as a home vacuum cleaner.
A passenger car at 100km/hr (65mph) at 8m (25 ft) distance is about 77 dB.

It's the pitch that is also important.
My M1P with 8331 props is noticeably less . . . well, noticeable :) than my Spark.

Yes, audio characteristics are more important than dB for sure. My Anafi makes a bit more of a whooshing sound and way less of the swarm of angry bees that is the DJI sound signature. Still love my M2P but sometimes my Anafi is the smart way to go especially when in other countries. Draws less attention, lower economic loss if confiscated.

Tom's Tech Time got 71dB from a distance of 1m, which makes it one of DJI's quietest drones. That comes as a surprise to a lot of people I think. It's still higher pitched than the Mavic 2 but it's not as loud as the Air.

As I've said before though in Air threads, most of the time sound isn't a big deal. Once it's a little ways away, you can't hear it at all if there is any significant ambient noise (flowing water, traffic, etc.) and both are going to generate the exact same amount of attention (wanted or not) during takeoff/landing. Should mostly be a non issue IMHO. I would say 90% of the time when I am flying my drone either around home or on vacation, nobody has a clue what I am doing because you can't hear a thing and you aren't going to see it up in the air unless you're specifically looking for it. If you're hovering it 10ft above a crowd at a wedding, sure noise matters a lot more, but for most usage scenarios it's a non-issue.

I think out of everything I've seen so far I am most impressed with it's wind handling capabilities - they are better than they ought to be for a 249g drone.

Reactions: JS1600
As I've said before though in Air threads, most of the time sound isn't a big deal. Once it's a little ways away, you can't hear it at all if there is any significant ambient noise (flowing water, traffic, etc.) and both are going to generate the exact same amount of attention (wanted or not) during takeoff/landing. Should mostly be a non issue IMHO. I would say 90% of the time when I am flying my drone either around home or on vacation, nobody has a clue what I am doing because you can't hear a thing and you aren't going to see it up in the air unless you're specifically looking for it. If you're hovering it 10ft above a crowd at a wedding, sure noise matters a lot more, but for most usage scenarios it's a non-issue.
I’ve had 3 neighbors on separate occasions mention my drone and not realize it was me, even while standing in my driveway with controller in hand. I assumed they knew, but ...

• Haha
Reactions: JS1600
Here you go, this was uploaded 15mins ago

That's a well-done video.
You know, love is a funny thing. I fully understand why people think the Mavic Air's pitch is annoying, but I love my Air. When the Mavic Air takes off in this video, the thought that goes through my head is "That sounds like my baby. It's music to me."

Reactions: Skywalker
Interesting that the M2 is so close in dB's to the Mini. dB is one thing though, while pitch is another. The Mini sounds much more angry-bee-like to my ears, an annoying sound that people object to.

Reactions: Cyber3xpert
I just did a noise test of the Mavic Pro ver 1. It was conducted in a sound attenuated recording room, (carpeting, sound absorption panels on the walls, dosimeter mounted on a tripod). Hovering and a full 360 rotation approximately 4' off the floor it registered 72 dBA at 10 feet.

With a little luck I will have a mini tomorrow.

Much noise discussion is subjective, (this is a real factor), but the testing is often less than ideal. We hear a difference of 10 dBA as twice as loud so generally background noise is irrelevant unless it is us. Background noise is not cumulative for practical purposes and two drones at 70 dBA do not give you 140. Suffice it to say if you are somewhere and the average noise level is 85 dBA, (various authorities' maximum for an 8 hour work day work), you won't be likely to notice any of these drones though single frequencies may be noticeable. Think white noise - we add it to mask other noise.

Of course if you are in a quiet park, 70 dBA +/_ 10 might be an issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+