DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro South Africa Coastal Trip

Very nice!

Nice . . . perfect music bed.

I've driven the entire garden route years ago and was disappointed that your vide didn't provide any information about what I was watching. I'm guess that one of the shots was east of Table Mountain. There were a lot of fast clips with darkness as transitions and a lot of water movement but the rest was lost in just videos. Did you see Jeffrey's Bay or the rocks at Cape Aguhlas. Storms River bridge would have been a nice addition.

Some of it looks like Langebaan lagoon.
If so, where were you flying when you took that?

I like it a lot!! That reveal shot @~1:45 of the island - Nicely done!

Why? What were you trying to show? To me, it seemed like a jumble of different kinds of scenes. You even faked out Prop Wash into thinking that Table Mountain was an island! Was that deliberate?
Finally, I found the sudden speed ups in some scenes to be very distracting, like something suddenly went wrong. Was that your intent?
Signed Confused.

Reactions: FLDave
@DominicMX nice job. I am familiar with some of those places and planning a trip. Can you please advise what restrictions/rules you faced if any. Thanks.

Reactions: Richard R
Thank you all for your replies and tips!!!!
Like I said I didn't get as much footage as I wanted to, and this is what I had to work with.

In response to what locations were in the video...

-The first clip is a 4x4 game drive in Pretoria (just outside of Joburg)
-the next 2 clips are in Wilderness, on the coast of the Indian Ocean, in the Western Cape, George
-the next 2 clips after that are in cape town, looking towards Table Mountain
-the last clip is at a sheep farm on the Gariep dam.

My apologies for the confusion in the video. I will redo the video and maybe add some pictures of the area as well as some titles showing the location!!

This is why I posted in this forum, to get some positive feedback, so thank you again!!

Thanks,
Dominic

@DominicMX nice job. I am familiar with some of those places and planning a trip. Can you please advise what restrictions/rules you faced if any. Thanks.
Thank you!
The restrictions were very similar to the USA.
No flying in national parks and not close to homes.
Basically just use your judgment and you'll be fine.
Also in the places that drone flying wasn't allowed, there were multiple signs letting me know "no flying"
I cant wait to visit again!!

I've driven the entire garden route years ago and was disappointed that your vide didn't provide any information about what I was watching. I'm guess that one of the shots was east of Table Mountain. There were a lot of fast clips with darkness as transitions and a lot of water movement but the rest was lost in just videos. Did you see Jeffrey's Bay or the rocks at Cape Aguhlas. Storms River bridge would have been a nice addition.
Thank you for your critiques!! I will work on it.
I didn't see J-Bay, but I am hoping to next time I visit!! So I can hopefully surf it as well!!!

Why? What were you trying to show? To me, it seemed like a jumble of different kinds of scenes. You even faked out Prop Wash into thinking that Table Mountain was an island! Was that deliberate?
Finally, I found the sudden speed ups in some scenes to be very distracting, like something suddenly went wrong. Was that your intent?
Signed Confused.
Why?
-well my intent was to show people some drone videos of places in the world they haven't seen yet.
I appreciate you voicing your dislike of the jumbled scenes. I will maybe add pics in between the clips.
Yes my intent was to increase the speed in certain clips at certain times. I'm not a filmmaker but I enjoyed this part of the video.

No my intent was not to fake out Prop Wash, or anyone, and I don't appreciate the insinuation that I am trying to "trick" people.

But I do respect everyone's opinion on my video and that is why I will work on my editing skills and hopefully get better at it.

Cheers,
Dominic

Reactions: Tufargon
As a suggestion before you put together you next set plan a story line. Having a flowing story line can do a lot make up some other not-so-good stuff. Fancy done and in-out stuff doesn't add to the story.
Was there in 1977. View of the Table mountain tram would be nice, if permitted. Clifton Beach area is nice with a few of the 12 apostles rocks. Cape of Good Hopis nice, if permitted. Going northeast Jefrey's Bay is nice; storms river canyon is really impressive. The coastal area has so much to offer all the way to Swaziland (I think it's a different name now).. I never go to see private game reserves, but Kruger park was good (no permitted for drones).

Why?
-well my intent was to show people some drone videos of places in the world they haven't seen yet.
I appreciate you voicing your dislike of the jumbled scenes. I will maybe add pics in between the clips.
Subtitles (rarely used for some reason in drone videos posted here) could be very helpful. I, for one, appreciate video makers who tell me what I'm looking at.
Yes my intent was to increase the speed in certain clips at certain times. I'm not a filmmaker but I enjoyed this part of the video.
Editing is an art, and you can learn a lot by watching how professional media, like TV shows, handle it. Lots of short scenes, lots of jump cuts, short dissolves used when scene changes would be jarring, like in your speed changes.
No my intent was not to fake out Prop Wash, or anyone, and I don't appreciate the insinuation that I am trying to "trick" people.
I was being tongue in cheek, not accusing you, but it also points out the challenge if your goal is to inform viewers, not trick them!
But I do respect everyone's opinion on my video and that is why I will work on my editing skills and hopefully get better at it.

Cheers,
Dominic

Unfortunately it was not of Langebaan lagoon. Hopefully next trip!!!!
I see it was at Gariep, thanks.

Just looks very similar to the area around Langebaan lagoon in the video.
As a suggestion before you put together you next set plan a story line. Having a flowing story line can do a lot make up some other not-so-good stuff. Fancy done and in-out stuff doesn't add to the story.
Was there in 1977. View of the Table Mountain Cable Way tram would be nice, if permitted. Clifton Beach area is nice with a few of the 12 Apostles rocks. Cape of Good Hope is nice, if permitted. Going northeast Jefrey's Bay is nice; storms river canyon is really impressive. The coastal area has so much to offer all the way to Swaziland (I think it's a different name now).. I never go to see private game reserves, but Kruger park was good (no permitted for drones).
These will all be no-fly areas, either in a national park or too close to an air/heli port.

But there are still many really great places in South Africa one could fly and photograph.

Agree, a video should tell a story and not be too long - but we all start somewhere :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser