DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 South Italy cinematic drone shots I took in November

I only got a few second in before having to stop and ask, are those houses in the first shot? If so :eek::eek::eek: where exactly is that and how tall are those blooming cliffs. Do you have a shot that shows the full height of those cliffs with the 'houses' in the foreground.

Having watched the rest..........brilliant!
Lots of places there where I think you would get rather nervous during ground tremors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MARK (LI)
The first part of the video looks like a drone vid the rest looks like a handheld (Ph,Gopro) or something like that. Not really "Drone" footage for me. Didn't watch the rest after the dog. Location started w potential to be a great video.

I took a trip to Italy in November and made a video of my trip, using a bunch of drone clips for the intro. Shot on DJI Mini 2.

Locations: Capri, Sorrento, Positano,
Random thoughts after watching about 80%.

The video was well done but for this forum, usually the viewers will not stick with a 17 minute film. This is also my kind of photography. A well documented chronological sequence of the trip. As a solo traveler, I admire your efforts to film your hiking scenes...meaning you had to set up the Go Pro or Osmo Action camera on a small tripod and frame the image correctly before hiking away from the shot. I kind of think you over did these scenes though.

My wife and I did this exact trip (the entire coast of Amalfi and the Cinque Terre) many years ago. It is a beautiful place on earth and you captured the essence of it well.

You captured the mundane and every day life scenes like the cat and dogs, little statue gardens, bad weather, and the spectacular sights like the views from Ravello, very well.

The drone views of Amalfi, the overhead views of the surf, and the spectacular architecture of the houses rising up the mountain, were all very well done.

It is a video you can treasure but for forum purposes, as I said, a bit long, and I fear many viewers will not finish watching it.

Dale
Miami

I usually don't like long videos, but my wife and I have been to Italy 3 times and we think the Amalfi Coast ( particularly Positano) is the most beautiful, breathtaking place on earth, so I stuck with it...I did recognize early on that it was not drone footage ....but who cares when the subject is Italy

Reactions: tobyf
Some great shots there, mate. Smooth control and nicely edited, did you use a gimbal for the handheld shots?
regards
Glad you enjoyed! No gimbal, a lot were on a tripod and there are a couple of GoPro shots there (the walking ones)

Reactions: Gagey52
Random thoughts after watching about 80%.

The video was well done but for this forum, usually the viewers will not stick with a 17 minute film. This is also my kind of photography. A well documented chronological sequence of the trip. As a solo traveler, I admire your efforts to film your hiking scenes...meaning you had to set up the Go Pro or Osmo Action camera on a small tripod and frame the image correctly before hiking away from the shot. I kind of think you over did these scenes though.

My wife and I did this exact trip (the entire coast of Amalfi and the Cinque Terre) many years ago. It is a beautiful place on earth and you captured the essence of it well.

You captured the mundane and every day life scenes like the cat and dogs, little statue gardens, bad weather, and the spectacular sights like the views from Ravello, very well.

The drone views of Amalfi, the overhead views of the surf, and the spectacular architecture of the houses rising up the mountain, were all very well done.

It is a video you can treasure but for forum purposes, as I said, a bit long, and I fear many viewers will not finish watching it.

Dale
Miami
Thank you for your comments! I made the video foremost for myself and to share with friends/family rather than as something that I expect everyone to sit through. I only really expected this forum to watch the first 90 seconds but nice to hear the rest also holds interest.

I think it would be a fun exercise to cut it into a couple of shorter videos though, perhaps a drone-only version with some location names.

Best

The first part of the video looks like a drone vid the rest looks like a handheld (Ph,Gopro) or something like that. Not really "Drone" footage for me. Didn't watch the rest after the dog. Location started w potential to be a great video.
The non-drone shots were with a Sony A6600, either on a tripod or handheld. 2 or 3 GoPro shots too.

Glad you enjoyed! No gimbal, a lot were on a tripod and there are a couple of GoPro shots there (the walking ones)
I was actually wondering about the walking shots. I find that the Go Pro or Osmo Action video camera gives me a lot of "bounce" when walking and that the use of a gimbal such as the Osmo Mobile 4 (newer model OM5) REALLY dampens the up and down bounciness of the walking footage. It is a really cheap addition to any gear and has many other functions that I just love such as motion lapse, time lapse, active track, etc. Watch a few You Tubes on it. The price is right, it is lightweight, and it cannot be a better addition to these kinds of stories. $159 USD

And no, I do not work for DJI!

Dale
Miami
Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 6.35.26 PM.png

Reactions: sikspy
I only got a few second in before having to stop and ask, are those houses in the first shot? If so :eek::eek::eek: where exactly is that and how tall are those blooming cliffs. Do you have a shot that shows the full height of those cliffs with the 'houses' in the foreground.

Having watched the rest..........brilliant!
Lots of places there where I think you would get rather nervous during ground tremors.
Thanks for the kind words. So the first shot is the same location as shots 5, 6 and 7. The town is Positano, I also took this 360 photo which might give better context!

Attachments

• 1641166756394.png
    1641166756394.png
    388.4 KB · Views: 3
Excellent. I agree - a bit too long.
If you cut it to maybe 10 minutes or so AND added narration with a bit of history thrown in, it would be much more engaging and watchable.
Also, if you could have gotten more drone footage to sprinkle throughout - this could be a very powerful documentary!
Thank you!

If adding narration please add subtitles too, not every one has hearing.

The non-drone shots were with a Sony A6600, either on a tripod or handheld. 2 or 3 GoPro shots too.
ALL of my travelogue videos are necessarily long. I make them for family and interested friends. I fear putting them on this forum due to their length, but hey, how else can a 3 week trip to three countries be encapsulated to 3 minutes? And why do a a forum version. It's really a pain. So what I do is I actually produce the entire video as concise as possible, and put it out there with a full preamble that it is going to be long, so plan on sitting down with a nice drink and enjoying it. You may have noticed some of my work demonstrating a few recent trips, such as my recent African Safari (Tanzania and Kenya). I incorporate multi media in all of these (e.g.L DSLR, timelapse, hyperlapse, Osmo Mobile, drone, video from Osmo Action, etc.). If you want a link, start a private conversation with me privately. My video web site has many of these travelogues (Greece, Iceland, Democratic Republic of the Congo/Uganda/Rwanda gorillas, Montana, etc.).

Dale

Thanks for the kind words. So the first shot is the same location as shots 5, 6 and 7. The town is Positano, I also took this 360 photo which might give better context!
to Philius Foggg- if you have not been to the Amalfi Coast, you are missing one of the ultra-extremes of travel- great scenery, great food, great people, and treacherous driving along a spectacular winding cliff road.

Dale

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I took a trip to Italy in November and made a video of my trip, [...]
Wow! That was beautifully shot and edited.

I only got a few second in before having to stop and ask, are those houses in the first shot? If so :eek::eek::eek: where exactly is that and how tall are those blooming cliffs.
My wife and I did a cruise in 2013 which stopped for a day in Naples. Rather than taking one of the regular cruise-organized guided tours to Pompeii, we decided to rent a car and go see the Amalfi coast. Everyone told us it was really something worth experiencing for yourself.

Coastline, eh? In my mind I was picturing sandy beaches and palm trees. Nope. The entire coastline is this SPECTACULAR high cliff face with houses clinging to it, and endless twisting hairpin turns on narrow roads! As a rally driver, I loved it and couldn't get enough! But it made my wife car-sick.

Our little Fiat 500 rental was ideal for these roads. Even so, we sometimes had to stop and reverse to yield way to oncoming tour buses squeezing around the tight corners. The rental agent congratulated us for bringing the car back with BOTH side mirrors still attached. Apparently those frequently get knocked off.

We drove up to Nocelle, high above Positano, from where I flew my original Phantom-1. I wanted to stop all over the place to fly some more, but my wife kept checking our progress against the time and told me we weren't going to make it back to Naples in time to re-board the cruise ship if we didn't pick up the pace. Challenge on! That's when she got car-sick... 🤢

I took this picture during a full moon in May 2014 in Positano....my wife and I were eating when every one went running out of the restaurant ...we thought that a fight had broken out
DSCN4928.JPG

Reactions: tobyf
My wife and I did a cruise in 2013 which stopped for a day in Naples. Rather than taking one of the regular cruise-organized guided tours to Pompeii, we decided to rent a car and go see the Amalfi coast. Everyone told us it was really something worth experiencing for yourself.
Speechless :eek:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Reactions: tobyf and MARK (LI)
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoBeeshy