DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SpaceX Crew-1 Launch from New Smyrna Beach, FL

I was able to see it from where I live in the west coast of Florida. I was also hoping to see the first stage come back down. Either I wasn't looking in the right place, descent engines are engaged too low to the horizon for me to see it where I was, or not bright enough to see that far.

I miss the space shuttle.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I was able to see it from where I live in the west coast of Florida. I was also hoping to see the first stage come back down. Either I wasn't looking in the right place, descent engines are engaged too low to the horizon for me to see it where I was, or not bright enough to see that far.

I miss the space shuttle.
I just no idea it would be visible from the West coast!

I mean, it makes sense... My buddy has seen the 2nd stage ignition, from NC.

The decent burn occurs at T+7:00 I think. Last time I caught them was daylight, on a Falcon Heavy, viewing from the coast.

You and me both... The Space Shuttle holds a very special place in my heart. Sure, Delta 4 Heavy and Falcon Heavy are fun... But nothing is the Space Shuttle.

Maybe Starship or SLS will compare, but thats only if they ever get finished.

Nice shot. How long was the exposure?

I've taken long exposures of the space station with my Canon 7D.
ISO 50 (64 according to Lightroom)
10"
Matrix Metering
Manual Focus

I took 5 separate exposures when I realized I was set at 10 seconds. I also was using a 2 second timer to work out any shakes before the shutter opened. So there's gaps between frames ?

I'm trying to decide between a Sony A7R2, or a6600. Maybe the Canon RP.

I'm torn between APS-C and FF, and I've been a Canon user my whole life, but interested in Sony and have no current system. I've owned the 7D (great camera, was looking at the 7Dmk2), the t3i, t6i, 30D, and 5D.

Yea, I'd love to go full frame. But I doubt ever I will. I seldom pull out my canon and lenses. These cell phones take really good pics. Small lenses don't do well in low-light, and depth-of-field and bokeh isn't great, but otherwise they do most of the lifting for my everyday shots.

Here's a shot of the ISS overhead. Just watched it zoom by tonight at 7:01. I get alerts from NASA. My neighbor and I meet in the cul-de-sac and drink beer and talk about starry things and watch it go.

This is about a 1 minute exposure.

1605660779049.png

• Love
Yea, I'd love to go full frame. But I doubt ever I will. I seldom pull out my canon and lenses. These cell phones take really good pics. Small lenses don't do well in low-light, and depth-of-field and bokeh isn't great, but otherwise they do most of the lifting for my everyday shots.

Here's a shot of the ISS overhead. Just watched it zoom by tonight at 7:01. I get alerts from NASA. My neighbor and I meet in the cul-de-sac and drink beer and talk about starry things and watch it go.

This is about a 1 minute exposure.

View attachment 117352
That's too funny, I saw it about 715 (total guess). I took this... Trying to capture it.

Were you using a star tracker?
20201117_183038.jpg
Clearly. I missed lol

Nope, just put the camera on a tripod, set it to bulb, and used a remote to start/end the exposure. I've taken lots like this over the years. Nothing really noteworthy, but it's fun. I think I normally use my 50mm prime, fast glass. Here's a couple more. The second one I had programmed to shoot while I was away. There is a gap in the middle of the trail - it was two shots that I stacked, but there was a time delay of about 10 seconds in the middle and... woops.

In the second one, the horiz thing is an airplane, You have to look close to see vertical line left of the moon. That's the ISS. Even thought it's pretty bright, the photography gets really tricky when there are other bright things in the image.

3rd pic, there was some sort of odd halo around the moon. Can't remember the situation.

1605667268865.png

1605667277965.png

1605667360536.png

• Love
3rd pic is an airplane passing past the moon, derp. I can see some spots along the trail that must have been blinking lights. No blinking lights on the ISS haha.

3rd pic is an airplane passing past the moon, derp. I can see some spots along the trail that must have been blinking lights. No blinking lights on the ISS haha.
The moon halo is a thing I've only seen a couple times.

Super cool stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3