DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spanish regulations for Mini 1 simple list?

Malcx

Reactions
In a couple of weeks I'm, Covid restrictions allowing, going to Lanzarote for two weeks and can't seem to make out the Spanish regulations for a <250g drone with camera.

Various sites give conflicting advice on labeling, what registrations need to be filed, competency test etc.
Often pages will say something like "You must pass, as a minimum, the AESA Level 1 exam" with no links. A google search for this exam turns up nothing useful.
Quite a few of the Spanish pages just link back to themselves.

Can anyone help me with a simple list what I need to do so I can fly a MM1 recreationaly in Spain and up-to-date links of forms I'll need to complete.

For what it's worth I'll be traveling from the UK, not an EU country.

I'm sure it's not as complex as my brain is making it, but I've looked at so many pages I'm kind of lost.

OK so in case anyone else comes across this post....

Lanzarote is effectively a no-fly island for drones:

😞

Reactions: NG Wildman
As you have already discovered, an area around Playa Blanca is the only area completely free of restrictions. However my DJI Phantom 3 and Mavic Mini both declare most of the north of the island to be a restricted area where I can fly with caution. I avoid the military training area near El Golfo, Timanfaya National Park, the 8 kilometre radius from the airport and built up areas.

Apparently Fuerteventura has much less restrictions on drone flying, so perhaps you could take the ferry over there for a day.

Reactions: Malcx
In a couple of weeks I'm, Covid restrictions allowing, going to Lanzarote for two weeks and can't seem to make out the Spanish regulations for a <250g drone with camera.

Various sites give conflicting advice on labeling, what registrations need to be filed, competency test etc.
Often pages will say something like "You must pass, as a minimum, the AESA Level 1 exam" with no links. A google search for this exam turns up nothing useful.
Quite a few of the Spanish pages just link back to themselves.

Can anyone help me with a simple list what I need to do so I can fly a MM1 recreationaly in Spain and up-to-date links of forms I'll need to complete.

For what it's worth I'll be traveling from the UK, not an EU country.

I'm sure it's not as complex as my brain is making it, but I've looked at so many pages I'm kind of lost.
I take it that you have read quite a lot of info on the drone laws here in Spain so I will keep this simple. As you have a Mini like me all you need to do to be legal in Spain is to register yourself as a drone operator. I have attached a copy of my registration certificate with my name removed for security reasons. The other thing is the ID plate for the drone and the remote. Some people will argue that it is not necessary for the Mini but on the occasions that I have been approached by the police they have asked for it! As they are relatively inexpensive I think it is wise to fit them as it seems to keep the police happy. https://www.amazon.es/SERVIVANT-For...123628&sprefix=dji+mini+2,aps,314&sr=8-6&th=1
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Drone operator cert.pdf
    153.6 KB · Views: 54
Thanks Brian & OldGuy - useful info.

I was intending to get a fireproof plate, but as it's a pretty drone free island and I don't want to have any hassle of dealing with the cops etc, I'll just be taking a camera and maybe some watercolours instead!

I do however have a Menorca trip next year, although I'm sure the regulations will have changed again by then...

@OldGuy thats great info, i've been googling this all morning like the OP, and it's becoming tiresome. May i ask where you applied for that cert? Visiting mainland spain in a few weeks, so i'd like to get my ID in order.
I have tried the AESA site, registered and received no email confirmations, tried a password reset and it's not working, the online chat is a loop of auto answers, it's becoming annoying. Would you have a link of where you started your process? Thanks.

@OldGuy thats great info, i've been googling this all morning like the OP, and it's becoming tiresome. May i ask where you applied for that cert? Visiting mainland spain in a few weeks, so i'd like to get my ID in order.
I have tried the AESA site, registered and received no email confirmations, tried a password reset and it's not working, the online chat is a loop of auto answers, it's becoming annoying. Would you have a link of where you started your process? Thanks.
Try this link REGISTRO COMO OPERADOR DE DRONE
It's a while since I did it so I can't remember exactly how I did it. Let me know if it doesen't work and I will investigate further for you.

Did you ever sort this out?
I too am hoping to take a trip to Mallorca in a couple of weeks with my Mini 3 Pro, but I can't see how I can register myself (or my drone) as I live in the UK

Nope, the Spanish website is very frustrating, so I gave up and did the Irish route instead. Ireland is part of EASA, so it’s recognised. Took about 72 hours to do. I did email the Spanish and got absolutely no help from them. Thier website is broken, received no emails back so got stuck in a loop of not being able to log on / already joined etc. I did get 1 email back brushing me off, saying they will approve my application and be in touch, but didn’t happen.

I'm heading to Spain in a week, I am already registered in Ireland and have bought drone liability insurance. I'll probably only be flying the Mini 3 Pro. I have looked at all the information on the official website and it seems the distinction between commercial and recreational use is now gone, anyone able to confirm that's the case? This would bring Spain in line with most other EU countries. I'm only asking because I saw a video on YouTube where a couple were cautioned by Spanish police a couple of months ago, the police said even if they posted it on YouTube it is considered commercial and they need the more rigorous tests and certifications.

Edit to add: I ran through the little questionnaire app they have and it said there are no special restrictions flying the sub-250g drone within 120m of other people. None of the questions mentioned anything about commercial or recreational use.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair