DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spark OTG cable with Mavic Pro?

Rojillio Santoro

Reactions
In anticipation of the price increase (Hey I needed an excuse and my Spark went back to dji for eye surgery) I took the opportunity to upgrade to Mavic Pro, due to arrive Thursday. The package contains "Mavic Pro Quadcopter - Remote Controller - 3 Intelligent Flight Batteries - 5 x 8330 Folding Propellers - Gimbal Clamp - Charger - AC Power Cable - 16GB microSD Card - Micro-USB Cable - RC Cable with Lightning Connector - RC Cable with Micro-USB Connector - 2 RC Cable Slider - Charging Hub - Mavic Shoulder Bag - 32 GB Card - Landing Gear Stabilzers - Memory Card Reader - Cleaning Cloth".

My cell phone is a Samsung S8 with USB type C connector. As I understand the Mavic won't connect to the mobile device via WiFi like a Spark. The included accessories for the Mavic doesn't mention OTG cable which I have for My Spark. (not sure, but I suspect OTG is analogous to a crossover Ethernet cable where the inputs at one end go to the outputs at the other?). My question is can the USB-C cable I use to connect the Spark controller to my phone be used to connect the Mavic controller to my phone or should I use a straight USB to USB-C cable?

Last edited:
Not sure what ends are what on cables but just use the USB cord that came with your Samsung 8 phone to charge it as the cable from controller to your cell phone - I use a S8 - power end to phone is slight rounded on both sides. I also use an iPad mini2 but use a different cable with it. If there is anything plugged into the side port on the controller unplug it and only use the USB port between the controller handles.

So I guess the Mavic doesn't require an OTG cable. I asked dji support who said I can use a "regular" USB to type C. However when I asked about needing to use OTG with the Spark she said I could use a regular USB cable there to, which leaves me a bit confused. She also told me that I could connect the Mavic controler to the mobile device manually like the Spark. Is that true? Before buying the OTG cable tried connecting the Spark controller to my phone with regular USB but it killed my phone. I thought I done serious damage but I brought the phone back to life by placing on the wireless charger.

This lady at dji also told me I could connect the Mavic controller to the mobile device manually like the Spark. Is that true?

As previously stated all you need is the USB charging cable that comes with your Samsung 8.

Plug the USB end into the controller and the other end into your phone.

The spark is a different setup as there is not a USB hub on the spark controller.

See spark video:

As previously stated all you need is the USB charging cable that comes with your Samsung 8.

Plug the USB end into the controller and the other end into your phone.

The spark is a different setup as there is not a USB hub on the spark controller.

See spark video:
Thanks for the explanation. That does sound analogous to using a crossover Ethernet cable to set up a network between 2 PCs without a router, however instead of crossing inputs and outputs the OTC adds a new connection giving the master device control..

It is not, but whatever.
If you use the bottom port it's a regular USB connection. If you want to use the side port you buy the USB-C version of the side cable that DJI offers and is not included with the MP that came out before USB-C was popular, only with later models.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ