DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Special Event / Sports filming.... Rules on getting "too close."

Flynn

Reactions
Hey everyone.

So, I had the opportunity to do some cool filming for a random low attendance event here in Oakland. The locations was great, very industrial, and the outdoor venue was sweet! However, after putting together this creative piece, I looked more into the type and angle / distance of the filming and found the "no operating over sports events" line in the General Guidelines for Recreational flying, after the fact, of course.

Now, I'm being cautious to post this publicly, so I would love some Feedback about the rules and if I'm breaking any law's here. Here's a link to the UNLISTED video, please Do Not Re-Post anywhere, this is only for in-house discussion. Thank you.

Why am I asking? Well, I truly want to get Pro Status upgraded to fly commercially for clients, so I'm being very careful about what I post. Me no wanting any violations, hint hint,,,,

[NOTE: there are some eye-level shots in the edit where the drone is actually not flying, I'm using it hand held.]

Thanks!

[Music: "Never There" by Cake, all rights reserved by author]

Reactions: Crocket1158
Some nice footage. I personally wouldn't be concerned about posting that on YouTube.
More importantly, if you look at the background and setting of the event, it really captures the essence of Oakland and all it's natural beauty. That is SO Oakland, for those of you who have never had the chance to visit this lovely city.

I'm flying a "similar" event in Australia in 2 weeks so I can tell you that here (Australia), that video would get you a fine of at least $900
Easter egg hunt, wedding trigger drone fines | Civil Aviation Safety Authority
I guess USA doesn't have the proximity to people rule (30 metres here) but does have a similar "no flying over people rule"
Over here you can't even get permission to fly safely over crowds/not associated people no matter what license/precautions you have.
That said, I have seen way worse rule violations on YouTube and Facebook.

Per the faa part 107 you are not permitted to fly over large crowds of people. So yes this might get you in trouble. That said someone would need to complain directly to the FAA. I don't think anyone here is going to do that.

What's a large crowd? Subjective?
Legal or no.
I really liked it! Good tunes too.

Per the faa part 107 you are not permitted to fly over large crowds of people. So yes this might get you in trouble.
Under Part 107 rules (Civil/Commercial UAS) you can't fly over people. It doesn't say large crowds of people.

Specifically Part 107 states (in the FAA Part 107 Fact Sheet)
You can’t fly a small UAS over anyone who is not directly participating in the operation, not under a covered structure, or not inside a covered stationary vehicle. No operations from a moving vehicle are allowed unless you are flying over a sparsely populated area.
Keep in mind that "participating in the operation" means part of your flight crew and not people in/at the event/venue. If they aren't directly connected with the safe operation of the UAS (pilot, visual observer, safety officer etc) they are not participating in the operation.

If you're flying strictly as a hobbyist you shouldn't fly over people but it's not an FAA rule/law. However, someone local can still say it's not safe and you could be violating some local law/ordinance in regards to reckless/unsafe behavior.

Just remember anything you post online "could" be seen by someone from the FAA so if you're in the least worried about it don't put it online... period. Better safe than sorry.

That said someone would need to complain directly to the FAA. I don't think anyone here is going to do that.

It's been documented several times that people from the FAA have been known to visit this (and other "Pilots") forum. There are a couple on PhantomPilots who were actually contacted and "reprimanded" for unsafe flights. Luckily the FAA is very specific in they are about "Instruction" first and if future incident warrant they will THEN address disciplinary actions.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S